New Iphone 4 fault, not very happy!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

I picked up the new Iphone 4 32Gb last friday at the opening launch of Best Buy in Merry Hill, was very very happy as i was the 1st customer to walk out with the new Iphone and had a picture of me taken with the phone in my hand, was very cheesy but what the hell.

I have only just fully powered up the new Iphone 4 today as i was waiting for a Apple Iphone Bumper and a Zagg Screen Protector to arrive before i attempted to use the new device. I put the screen protector on yesterday and today attached the Iphone Bumper then i powered the phone up in excitement! Had a little play with it for 10 minutes or so and was very very impressed until the screen generated a fault and i had a horrible thin white line down the centre of the screen! i was absolutely fuming, it was like one of those lines that you see on a faulty plasma or lcd tv! I phoned to see if i can get a replacement and there was no problem, it would be a straight swap for a new one but there is no stock on hand at all anywhere! Great! So im left waiting for a new one to come into stock but in the meantime, i have took my trusted and reliable Iphone 3G 16Gb out of the draw and gone back to that one as that never caused me any problems what so ever!

I hope you guys dont get this fault as i can't find anything on the internet about my problem aswell as the great customer service team from Best Buy were also puzzled and said i was the 1st to point this problem out.

To sum it up, im not a very happy person at all, 10 minutes of use on the new Iphone 4 and bam! there's a fault already, unbelievable! The link is below of a picture i took with the Iphone and the white line down the centre of the screen.

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad254/funkydudemo/P1000135.jpg

A

Anonymous

And here's me with another tab open viewing the best tariffs for the iphone 4. I say that but they are all almost identical, price fixing I believe this would be called elsewhere!
emotion-45.gif

I bet you are really peed off. I would contact the apple customer relations team and tell them your photograph is in the local press with the first iphone from the Best Buy store and you are going to write to them explaining how it broke after 10 minutes. I'm sure they would be keen to *** this story in the bud with a swift replacement and a grovelling apology
emotion-5.gif

Which network did you opt for out of curiousity? As they are all so similar I would be interested to know what was the deciding factor in your choice.

A

Anonymous

Yep im really peed off Daveee. Best Buy are a good group of people who are gonna try and get me one for the weekend, so fingers crossed but i kinda have a bad feeling that ill end up with another faulty one as my trust for Apple is going downhill, i mean how could they get a product like this out without making sure it was fit for release? i would not of minded if they said it was out in September aslong as it was perfect!

Ive been with o2 since the 1st Iphone, so i just upgraded with them basically, was a bit peed off that they would switch me from unlimited data on my Iphone 3G to 750Mb on the new Iphone 4 but i just took it on the chin and chose the £45 a month tariff which is better than the £50 a month that i was on previously. I trust o2, ive never had a problem with them and been a customer of theirs for probably 6 years. Where as the other networks, i dont trust at all, was with Orange, Vodafone and T-Mobile and just had constant problems and customer service was poor.

A

Anonymous

I'm with Orange and am looking at the £35 per month tariff for the 16gb version with 600 mins and unlimited texts/internet/wi-fi, the phone is £119. The magic numbers and orange wednesdays are the only perks I can think Orange would bring. Good luck with the replacement anyway, you'd have to be really unlucky to cop for 2 dodgy phones!
emotion-7.gif

A

Anonymous

Orange have got better i must say, when i used to be with them, it was the early days where the reception was poor and the mobile handset range was awful but my sister is with them and has no problems, so i'd say o2 and Orange are fine, would not bother with the other networks though! The deal your looking at looks fine to me and i would say go for it.

Thanks Daveee, hopefully i might have some faith in the new Iphone 4 but yes fingers crossed lets see what happens!

SnowyJohn

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I happen to think that O2 are the worst of the main operators based on my experiences. But I suppose experiences vary although I have found O2's 3G coverage to be atrocious. One thing is for certain - you get nowhere by being loyal to network operators and to suggest that they offer better deals for long term users is far from true.

A

Anonymous

Very true SnowyJohn, loyalty is never rewarded anymore but for me sticking with o2 there's only one reason, i can't be bothered to cancel and join to different networks like i used to as deals seem to be very similar, so for that reason i just stuck with one operator that ive never had any problems with and easy for me just to upgrade whenever that is due, hence ive upgraded 3 time's with the 3 previous Iphone's ive had (that were more reliable than the new Iphone 4).

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I'm with Orange and find their coverage very frustrating indeed.

No reception in my house (London N16), or at work (London SW6), or at my g/f's parents (Esher), and pathetic dongle coverage on trains from St Pancras to the midlands. Rubbish.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Coverage depends on your location really, when I was "National Sales Rep" for a few years I found Orange pretty poor - switched to O2 and found them far better on average, been with them ever since and their internet service is top notch too (they have problems like anyone but they've always been dealt with rapidly and when you call you get answered very quickly by someone at least in a UK call centre! Nothing against the Indian ones but there is often a bad line and can be hard to get around each other's accents!)

The problem with your screen is just one of those things but it will be a straightforward replacement - it's safe to say it isn't a common problem with about 2 million units sold so far!

The REAL problems of course are -

Antenna: Definitely real issues, not everyone gets them (most likely due to where they are) but if you have a "naked" phone you will have a problem in many locations. I've had many people tell me I sound crackly/distorted when I've been in a strong signal area - usually moving fingers about fixes it but that indicates design flaw, unless they can do some magic with the software...

Proximity Sensor: It's just poor, there's a 50 page thread on Apple's help pages about people muting/turning on speakerphone etc. when talking on the phone - I muted my girlfriend yesterday (bonus!), possibly a software fix...

Vibrate mode: It's just weak, don't feel it in my pocket and only hear it on desk if room is quiet - meh, not a "real" problem but bugs me
emotion-2.gif

Would just like an official statement from Apple as I have a week to return it - I love everything else about it but the signal issue is getting embarrassing with friends shouting "can't hear you" when you try and have a conversation.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
AEJim:The problem with your screen is just one of those things but it will be a straightforward replacement - it's safe to say it isn't a common problem with about 2 million units sold so far!

I'm glad you said that, the idea that one bad screen makes a product not ready for release is nonsense.

1080p Suspect

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Firstly, sorry for your misfortune, but this is why its always good to never buy a new market product like the iphone 4 instantly upon release without reading independent reviews or forums first. Im due my upgrade on the 14th and was contemplating the iphone 4, but now i think ill just wait and see. I know its a new product and there will be no reviews for a while, but i may just wait...rather than buy blindly and have to deal with disappointment. My only issue, is availability for when Im finally ready to get one.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:AEJim:The problem with your screen is just one of those things but it will be a straightforward replacement - it's safe to say it isn't a common problem with about 2 million units sold so far! I'm glad you said that, the idea that one bad screen makes a product not ready for release is nonsense.

I agree with you, whenever a product is released, the company should know its ready to be sold to the masses and would not cause problems on release but in this case it's the 1st time ive had a Apple product be faulty and the worst part is that it's not a one off, hundreads or even thousands of people are complaining which is a very bad move on Apple not making sure the Iphone 4 was fit for release.

There will be a newer revised model but unfair to the people who waited to get it on release like me. All the previous Iphone's ive owned such as the 2G, 3G and 3GS have been 100% perfect with no problems what so ever, so i dont agree with the thing about waiting for the right moment to buy just to make sure it's perfect as ive bought all the Iphone's on launch with no faults.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Panasonic Store:
the_lhc:AEJim:The problem with your screen is just one of those things but it will be a straightforward replacement - it's safe to say it isn't a common problem with about 2 million units sold so far! I'm glad you said that, the idea that one bad screen makes a product not ready for release is nonsense.

I agree with you, whenever a product is released, the company should know its ready to be sold to the masses and would not cause problems on release but in this case it's the 1st time ive had a Apple product be faulty and the worst part is that it's not a one off, hundreads or even thousands of people are complaining

They're not complaining about your screen though are they?

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:Panasonic Store:

I agree with you, whenever a product is released, the company should know its ready to be sold to the masses and would not cause problems on release but in this case it's the 1st time ive had a Apple product be faulty and the worst part is that it's not a one off, hundreads or even thousands of people are complaining They're not complaining about your screen though are they?

Yep you are right!

ukdavej

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm not a iPhone owner, cannot seem to justify the expense to be honest although I think they are a stunning device. One comment I would make about the iPhone 4 is that I am really disappointed with the design. I can't really put my finger on it but I just don't think it looks as good as the original shape. I always though the iPhone was rather cool looking as it was different enough to be noticable. This latest flavour though just looks like many other phones in both shape and colour and, if I were fortunate enough to be able to get one, I would choose the 3GS.

A

Anonymous

ukdavej:

I'm not a iPhone owner, cannot seem to justify the expense to be honest although I think they are a stunning device. One comment I would make about the iPhone 4 is that I am really disappointed with the design. I can't really put my finger on it but I just don't think it looks as good as the original shape. I always though the iPhone was rather cool looking as it was different enough to be noticable. This latest flavour though just looks like many other phones in both shape and colour and, if I were fortunate enough to be able to get one, I would choose the 3GS.

I do like the new design of the Iphone 4 but the one thing that i liked on the 3GS was the curved back which had a nice feel in your palm, the new Iphone 4 has a flat back and feels weird but maybe that would take time to get used to it.

As for getting a 3GS, they are still current and available. The way the new Iphone is marketed is that you can buy the original 3GS in 8Gb and not pay much for the handset on a contract or pay more and choose a 16Gb or 32Gb Iphone 4.

AVLee

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
speaking of o2,

they have various 'bands' for different people, i know they have a gold, silver, and bronze banding at least; does anyone know what benefits each of them brings? and how you attain such high status? (lol) i am on the silver band (don't really know how though), and if i can get an iphone 4 for nowt, then ill be a happy man

A

Anonymous

AVLee:

speaking of o2,

they have various 'bands' for different people, i know they have a gold, silver, and bronze banding at least; does anyone know what benefits each of them brings? and how you attain such high status? (lol) i am on the silver band (don't really know how though), and if i can get an iphone 4 for nowt, then ill be a happy man

The different bands unfortunately does not give you discounts on upgrades, mobile phone's etc, all it's for is that you can get tickets to festivals before anyone else, some discounts on venues and the main benefit of this Gold, Silver and Bronze band is that you can upgrade earlier in your contract, for e.g i think im a Gold band customer as i was instructed that i could upgrade 3 months earlier before my contract would expire. Other than that, it's not worth shouting about.

A

Anonymous

Just a quick update to close the thread and mention that i finally had my replacement Iphone 4 32Gb which seems to be working a treat with no problems yet.

Will let you guys know if anything else develops in terms of problems in due time but for now, im having a blast with the new iphone and the fonejacker app! lol

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts