new interconnect

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
just changed the interconnect on cd/amp from wireworld lunna 6 to chord chameleon silver plus and finding the sound has become a little muffled and to relaxed. question is, about how long do these need to run in and is this a common thing with new connectors

A

Anonymous

it's debatable if interconnects need any burn in time. I have never noticed any difference between them new and after several hours listening. if you do not like the sound of it straight out the box my advice is to return it. It will not change much if at all imo.

A

Anonymous

iv just swapped it back to the lunna and to be honest i cant believe the difference i know cables make a difference but i didnt think it could make my system sound that different the lunnas quite bright and very detailed the chord does sound richer that i do like, but it looses alot of detail almost a bit muffled so i will return it . so any suggestions on connectors dont mind spending a bit more say £150ish if its right .rich bass with plenty of detail if that possible at this price range??

A

Anonymous

chord company chorus mark 1 would be a very good choice. Discontinued though but usually avilable for about £80 second hand. it retailed for about £200 and is much clearer sounding than the chameleon. I have heard the chameleon and although i would not say it is muffled i understand exactly what you mean when you say it is. The nordost blue heaven is good too.The bass is deep and tight with impact rather than rich though but bags of detail and clarity.

A

Anonymous

mufled makes it sound worse than it is. bass is good mid range to me sounds a little to forward, treble just seems as though it needs turning up a bit just lacks sparkle at high end.

i got the connector from peter tyson so will see if they will let me maybe trial a couple of cables not sure if they will but worth a try

T

the record spot

I would have a look at the construction of the cable and find the equivalent build in a less fancy box, from a non-audiophile supplier and save the money. You don't, most likely, need to spend £100, or even half that. Simply take the time to understand what makes a good cable and aim to buy that.

By product - you get to avoid all the chat around the benefits of a 1m length of wire in a fancy coloured casing.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Up to £150 should get you a Chord Anthem Mk1 on ebay.

I have just got one

My upgrade path was Crimson - Excellent detail - low bass level

Chameleon Siler Plus - Fantastic cable plenty of drive excellent bass

Chorus (Mk1) - As above but much more control and seperation of the bass

Anthem (Mk1) - Unbelievably detailed, leading and trailing edges of notes crisp, no obvious (yet, only had 1 week) downsides, tonally equal across the whole range very very good

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

When I first got the chords, they seem a lttle closed in. I contacted chord and they told me to give it a good 100 hrs, I did and it made all the difference- the soundstage opened up and revealed more detail, bass tightened up, top end sweeter and more open and mids more vivid but still rich with good soundstage depth.

This may sound silly but put the interconnects in the other way, sometimes that can make a difference especially if they are directional. Yes the Nordost is good and very detailed and clear but can be bright on the wrong system.

Cheers

Steve.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
pauladamss:so any suggestions on connectors dont mind spending a bit more say £150ish if its right .rich bass with plenty of detail if that possible at this price range??

Ah, the wonderful world of system tweaking! (this could take some time)

Kimber Timbre fit's the bill.

These can be bought from Russ Andrews with a 30 day returns policy.

T

the record spot

stephennic:
Hi,

When I first got the chords, they seem a lttle closed in. I contacted chord and they told me to give it a good 100 hrs, I did and it made all the difference- the soundstage opened up and revealed more detail, bass tightened up, top end sweeter and more open and mids more vivid but still rich with good soundstage depth.

This may sound silly but put the interconnects in the other way, sometimes that can make a difference especially if they are directional. Yes the Nordost is good and very detailed and clear but can be bright on the wrong system.

Cheers

Steve.

100 hours? For a 1m cable? Which does nothing bar permit a signal to go from A to B? Have Chord given any explanation why 100 hours and not, say, 20? Or 500? Or 2? Or whatever...? And how could you tell what they sounded like originally after 100 hours, save for buying a brand new pair and trying them out against the 'burned in' ones?

A

Anonymous

Based on your experiences I would suggest trying a Silver High Breed cable. The CSP has always been my favourite for the money and I've tried a fair few cables, but if you need something brighter then SHB might be perfect. I've always found the CSP to be pretty damn neutral where many others just seem to emphasise the treble making the sound seem more detailed. I have to say, it's quite striking how much difference they all make. You haven't even got onto mains cables! Whatever works for your ears!

T

the record spot

I'd caveat that by saying anyone thinking about buying a cable, or at least spending significant sums on them has a look at what's coming back in return for their money.

The SHB ones are pretty low cost, so no great shakes on the wallet, but Van den Hul "The Name", Audioquest Copperhead, QED Qunex, Audioquest Turquoise and my £7 wire currently sitting betwixt amp and CDP sound the same. Cable construction of each is solid single core wire, some shielding around that and it's job done. The latter has functional packaging, a basic diagram on the back displaying the make-up of the cable and that's it. From memory, the Van den Hul cable came with an obscenely large box, plenty of plastic and a 1m wire inside that could've been more tightly wrapped. £65. You pays your money...

A

Anonymous

The chord anthem would be a stunner but i cant help thinking it might be a touch of overkill. The chorus will do everything you ask as will the nordost blue heaven. If you dont mind going second hand, the blue heaven can be got for about £60 one bay usually.

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
the record spot:stephennic:

Hi,

Cheers

Steve.

100 hours? For a 1m cable? Which does nothing bar permit a signal to go from A to B? Have Chord given any explanation why 100 hours and not, say, 20? Or 500? Or 2? Or whatever...? And how could you tell what they sounded like originally after 100 hours, save for buying a brand new pair and trying them out against the 'burned in' ones?

Hi recordspot,

I dont want to hijack the thread, but I have to say with a lot of cables I have bought over the years have improved with burn in. For eg the Nordost BH interconnect new sounded bright, hard and I was fatigued after a few minutes listening. I didnt listen to it a gain I let it sit playing on the system for a few days over a couple of weeks. Sat down one day again and had a listen, more open smoother more natural and lost most of that hard edge, and I didnt get fatigued.

I dont think it was placibo effect, the difference was obvious. I dont have scientific evidence just my ears and from talking to a few hifi mates, hifi shops and the mags I read etc.
emotion-1.gif

Cheers

Steve.

A

Anonymous

I can go with you on letting a cable have a bit of time to run in. I found this out when i first got my qed genesis bi-wire speaker cable when i first set it up my system sounded a mess nothing about it sounded right, i was all for sending it back but thought i would leave for a bit to see if anything got better. After about a week it sounded miles better to me, some people may say it was just me getting use to the sound of it but i could never of lived with the sound i got when i first installed the cable bell wire would of done a better job.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
pauladamss:so any suggestions on connectors dont mind spending a bit more say £150ish if its right .
How about something like this or this?

6mm LC-OFC or 6mm SP-OFC, both shielded and with quality connectors.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts