new integrated amp or just phono stage?

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
so... finally I purchased a new TT, new speakers but what about the amp?

My hi-fi system is currently as following and I use it mainly to listen to my vinyl records:

Integrated Amplifier: Sony TA-FE570
Speakers: Def Tech SM45
Turntable: Pro-ject debut carbon esprit DC SB with Ortofon 2M red
CD Player: Samsung DVD 360 (don't get me wrong but I have just a small number of CDs thus I use this cheap device instead of a proper audio cd player).

While the sound I get from CDs through the cheap Samsung DVD player and the Sony amp is brilliant and 3D in my ears, the sound from the TT is a bit flat and 2D.

So I was thinking to do one of the following:
-purchase a second hand phono stage "Pro-ject Tube Box SE II" in great condition for £130. This is my first option as the Sony amp seems to perform great (in my ears) with the CDs but not with the records, so probably the inegrated phono stage is the weakest link and not the entire Amp
-or purchase a new integrated Amp "Marantz PM6005" (Marantz is known for good quality phono stages)

I know that there are many other options however as I don't have the budget and the ability to try before buy I would like to hear your opinions! Thank you in advane for your assistance!!

PS: I don't know if music styles make any sense but my music preferences are in Indie-pop, C86, creation, factory, sarah records, new wave and post punk

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
yes he did state he doesnt have the budget.....but still said he can afford the marantz........so why not get a good second hand brio for same price.........plus as already stated the brio isnt twice the price......will save him in the long run on not having to buy a separate amp and phono.........just my opinion of course

thescarletpronster said:
Al ears said:
audioaddict said:
what about a rega brio r
...it's about twice the price of the Marantz...... I rest my case m'lud.

£475 versus £399, no?

Where can you get it for 475? The best I could find is 548.

Not that it matters much, we can safely assume he wants new and he has budgeted for the Marantz, in my opinion offering suggestions costing more than that is somewhat pointless.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts