New house, huge lounge... speaker thoughts

josbd

Dec 19, 2005
Visit site
I have just moved house, from a compact lounge, to what can only be described as a ballroom!

It is a blank canvas, and although I am very aware that my set up needs a little while to settle in, I find myself with a decent sized wedge which is of course finding any excuse it can to listen to the nice man down at the hi fi shop... Is that just me?? heheh

OK, system (3 years old) comprises:

Clearwater Concept TT

Trichord Dino

Roksan Caspian CD Player M2

Roksan Caspian Amp M2
Pro-Ac Response D2 on Dreadnought stands I was incredibly lucky .. and shocked when someone chucked an 8m pair of Chord signature cables which had been used for demo purposes... in with my new speakers, and for free..... Oh yes, I know that they are far FAR too ott for what I have, but FREE!There you go anyway. I am wondering whether spending some of my pocket on a pair of floorstanders, namely the Spendor A6R would be worthwhile. The Pro-Acs are a wonderful pair of speakers: detailed, musically agile, never wearing. They don't put a foot wrong in fact. At the moment I cannot get to audition the Spendors and so would value any contribution from "shut up Jo, yer being a ****" to.. anything which you see fit. Another thought. For some time, the Caspian CD player has been skipping. A LOT.Yes, mainly on ripped disks, but I do take care with the things. I usually use Maxell Music Gold, and burn at the lowest speed. Such a disk will play fine the first time, and next time out, skip skip skip. I guess the best option is to send the beast to Roksan... esp as I am stupidly certain I did not return the insurance doc....... GAH Anyway, thanks for reading, much appreciated :)

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
If you like your proacs, I'd say go with bigger proacs. Not the 20s though, not enough oomph for a big space. Go for the 30s. Stretch your budget, they are worth it. Other speakers I'd recommend would be dynaudios focus line. And if you can really stretch the budget, go for PMCs twenty 26, you will not be disappointed.

josbd

Dec 19, 2005
Visit site
Wow! Thanks for all of the answers guys! Looks like I had better go look for a hi fi shop good enough to carry all of the above!

As for size of room, not sure, shall get it measured and let you know. Pix to follow when room is half settled!

Once again, many thanks to all for taking the trouble to give advice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts