New home cinema plans

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
BenLaw said:
Can I also ask what's made you choose that speaker package and where you would intend to put floorstanders?

I was impressed by the system when I demoed it last week. It doesn't need a grill as the drivers and tweeters are quite sturdy and kid proof.

The floor standers will be next to the TV in the corner. My other option is TV over the fireplace with a mount like this:

http://www.futureautomation.co.uk/Product/Details/EAD

In that case, the floorstanders will be on each side of the fireplace.
Interesting idea to use the mount. The problem I see is that the fireplace is not centred on the wall, so you would have to have a TV no wider that the mantelpiece, which might limit your options. It really is a shame you cant dump the fire, because that wall is the obvious place for the TV.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I still think that Richard is correct in suggesting you use the dining room/bedroom 5. You are never going to get a good result in the room shown. In my case, it is great to have a living room free of TV for reading, talking, entertaining etc. It is also next to our dining kitchen, which you also seem to have. Having a dedicated 'TV Room' means that there are family choices to be made, but - whether its the adults or my teenage sons on the PS4 - whoever is using it doesn't bother everyone else. We can also watch TV/movies or listen to music without compromise. Interestingly, my other half enjoys it just as much as I do! Sorry to throw another spanner in the works - in the end you have to do what works for you.

Thanks for all the comments. To answer,

1) It will be useful to have the snug room as my baby's play room. It's nicely placed between the kitchen & the lounge for supervision.

2) We need a proper dining room for an 8-seater table. We often have guests coming over. Swapping living and dining rooms is not an option; impossible to get my wife agree on it.

3) Yes, there are logistical issues for TV over fireplace (position of centre speaker and size limit for TV). Still thinking of the ideal position. A projector option will be easier, but with so many windows, it will be a challenge. I don't want to watch all TV after closing all the windows in a completely dark room. In-ceiling speaker for centre is an interesting idea. Does anyone have it?

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Thats a very nice looking house BigBoss, I hope it all goes through for you.

Regarding a home cinema though, if I may be so bold, that Garage looks ripe for conversion to a dedictaed home cinema, its a superb size, detatched fromthe main house and with toilet facilites pre-installed!! That's what I would go for. . .

Chewy said:
Thats a very nice looking house BigBoss, I hope it all goes through for you.

Regarding a home cinema though, if I may be so bold, that Garage looks ripe for conversion to a dedictaed home cinema, its a superb size, detatched fromthe main house and with toilet facilites pre-installed!! That's what I would go for. . .

Hmmm....interesting idea! Will speak to SWMBO this evening and see what she thinks.

rs6mra

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
I like the sound of using the garage and it doesn't have to be the entire garage which i think makes it even more of an attractive option...........................

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
rs6mra said:
I like the sound of using the garage and it doesn't have to be the entire garage which i think makes it even more of an attractive option...........................

But where do you keep the car, the bikes, the lawn mower etc?

hammill said:
rs6mra said:

The garage has already been converted into an entertainment area, with a wood burner and all boarded up. It is quite dark in there without light, perfect for a projector. There is plenty of space front & back for a few cars, and a very large garden shed for other bits. It is doable. :?

rs6mra

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
The bikes, lawm mower etc can be kept in a shed (new shed maybe) or the part of the garage not being used.

As for the car some folk do utilise the garage and some like me don't. So it will depend on whether BB will do or not, and if he is going to run it by his dear wife then maybe he is not that bothered.

Actually, it is a brilliant idea!! That place is perfect for a proper home cinema setup with a 4K projector! I'll plan that for 2015 once the initial financial hit eases a bit. So I can go for a 1080p TV (or use my existing Kuro) for the living room. We were planning to use the space as a gym, which can be on one side. Thanks!! I can't believe I didn't think of it before!! :clap:

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
hammill said:
rs6mra said:

The garage has already been converted into an entertainment area, with a wood burner and all boarded up. It is quite dark in there without light, perfect for a projector. There is plenty of space front & back for a few cars, and a very large garden shed for other bits. It is doable. :?

Oh, yeah!

kevin7.1

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Very much look forward to developments. Very nice to see the thoughts and ideas develope on this thread. I have only seen one proper cinema installation thread in the your systems section so definitely looking forward to yours BB. Good luck hope it all comes off for you.

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
Actually, it is a brilliant idea!! That place is perfect for a proper home cinema setup with a 4K projector! I'll plan that for 2015 once the initial financial hit eases a bit. So I can go for a 1080p TV (or use my existing Kuro) for the living room. We were planning to use the space as a gym, which can be on one side. Thanks!! I can't believe I didn't think of it before!! :clap:

No problem - it should make a great space by the sounds of it, and if its already been converted into a living space you've already saved a big chunk of money in the conversion - a lick of paint, some black carpet and some acoutics panels (easily DIY-able if you've got the time and inclination) should be all you need to convert it - as you say, a PJ and screen would be ideal if you can stretch to it.

Out of interest what are its internal dimensions, I can't quite make them out in the floorplan you posted?

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi BB

Finally leaving the Radius club then? I guess the 6's are just grown-up versions of my 270's (& with the newer drivers of course). The only think I'd check with the 6's, being rear ported is how far away from the side or back wall they were when you demo'd them. If the bass didn't boom, you'll probably need to replicate that distance in your new lounge to avoid port bungs, but I'm sure you've considered that anyway with your experience.

Looks a nice-sized room though. New baby AND a house move within a year - you are brave!!

My work place is 51 miles away. I've been in training all these years which involves moving to different hospitals each year. So it made little sense to move earlier. I've now been appointed as a Consultant at my current work place, starting in May. The terms of the contract necessitates me to move within 10 miles of the hospital.

There aren't enough walls in the living room to take my Radius with me. Besides, it's an old house with a lot of character. I'm looking at some floor standers or bookshelf speakers (depending on space for floor standers) in wood veneer to go with the decor. As it'll be a corner set up, I expect the speakers to be quite away from the walls. I have to check that room again.

My wife isn't averse to the idea of a home cinema in the double garage, but has reminded me of the practicalities (it's away from the house) and priorities. So 2015 or even 2016 is more realistic. But I'll start planning earlier. It needs a new flooring to dampen vibrations when used as a gym. So I'll look at solutions which will work for home cinema too. Any ideas on flooring?

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Congrats on the promotion BB, you have always been a good man and its well deserved.

As for the cabinet, I would go with Chunky Monkey, but just a little word of caution - Oak cabinets tend to be extremely heavy, we needed two people to lift mine into the house and now that its here, it's not moving :)

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:

Keep track of what I am about to do. Building work is about to commence on my loft and sound proofing is something that I plan to take very seriously. I will keep you posted on my cinema room build and alert you to any pitfalls I encounter. I am excited for you!

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Stump is good too!

These guys can practically build anything for you at a fraction of the price (prices like that of BDI and Salamander). :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts