New HiFi System

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everyone.

I'm new here, and am planning to replace my old hifi set up with something better.

Here are the various options that I am considering:

Amplifier

Cambridge Audio Azur 640A V2.0

Rotel RA-04 or RA-05

Pioneer A-A6

Marantz PM6002

NAD C355 BEE

Speakers

KEF iQ10

B&W 686

Monitor Audio Bronze BR2

Other suggestions? (Has to be on stands/bookshelf type speakers)

SACD/DVD Player

I am looking for a decent SACD/DVD player, as I intend to listen to music CDs as well as music concerts on DVDs

My music preferences are rock and pop, with preference for deep tight bass. Any recommendations?

Speaker Cables

Looking for a decent pair, nothing extravagent...suggestions?

Interconnects

Plan on keeping my Monster Interline 400 MkII, no complaints here.

Budget is 1000 pounds sterling.

Appreciate if someone could recommend a system based on the options above.

Cheers!

John Duncan

Of the ones you mention, I'd narrow it down to the Rotel or the NAD, the B&W or the KEF, and an Oppo universal player, and I think the cheaper 980 was well received (seeing as that's the only one I can think of within budget, though there might be a Marantz player - the 6001 or 7001?).

matthewpiano

The Monitor Audio BR2s are much better all-rounders than the B&W 686s and would be a great match for the NAD amplifier. Together they'll give you a warm but gutsy, dynamic sound which will be ideal for a wide range of music and films.

For speaker cable I'd go for Chord Company Carnival Silverscreen (single wired) and you'll need to budget for a pair of decent stands. About £60-70 will buy you Soundstyle Z2s or Atacama Nexus 6.
If you don't mind parting with the Monster, you can do much better with interconnect by changing to Chord Crimson at about £38.

JohnDuncan:Of the ones you mention, I'd narrow it down to the Rotel or the NAD, the B&W or the KEF, and an Oppo universal player, and I think the cheaper 980 was well received (seeing as that's the only one I can think of within budget, though there might be a Marantz player - the 6001 or 7001?).

I agree with JD. In addition to the aforementioned, it's worth considering the Nad coupled with Mordaunt short 902I, maybe the Marantz DV5001, which I believe are all available at Richer Sounds. These should all come within your budget.

Good luck.

matthewpiano

plastic penguin:
JohnDuncan:Of the ones you mention, I'd narrow it down to the Rotel or the NAD, the B&W or the KEF, and an Oppo universal player, and I think the cheaper 980 was well received (seeing as that's the only one I can think of within budget, though there might be a Marantz player - the 6001 or 7001?).

I agree with JD. In addition to the aforementioned, it's worth considering the Nad coupled with Mordaunt short 902I, maybe the Marantz DV5001, which I believe are all available at Richer Sounds. These should all come within your budget.

Good luck.

PP, do you not think the 902is are a bit bright sounding? I certainly wouldn't put them in the same class as the BR2s or the KEFs which I think are both much better all-rounders. I pulled my 902is out yesterday for an AB comparison with the MAs and they were nowhere near as good.

A

Anonymous

Depending on how much of a consideration budget is, the CA 640A V2 can be had for £200 from richersounds at the moment. ÿI got one a couple of weeks ago and I'm very pleased with it.

matthewpiano:plastic penguin:

Good luck.

PP, do you not think the 902is are a bit bright sounding? I certainly wouldn't put them in the same class as the BR2s or the KEFs which I think are both much better all-rounders. I pulled my 902is out yesterday for an AB comparison with the MAs and they were nowhere near as good.

I only mentioned the Nad amp as it has a sound resembling Arcam and would be good match with MS's. I agree if you go with the Rotel then the MS's are worth avoiding.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
NAD C355BEE with either M/A BR2's or B&W 685's IMO

The 686's are ok but better for the rear speakers in a 5.1 system

With regards to NAD; the NAD C352 integrated amp can still be bought new if you search so that could be worth adding to the shortlist as well.

Cable would have to be; as above, Chord Carnival Silverscreen speaker cable and Chord Chrimson interconnects.

Also; if you are set on a DVD player then i would go for the Arcam DVD135 - Brilliant player and great with music too!

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
gulfsentinel:

Looking for a decent pair, nothing extravagent...suggestions?

Hi:

Amplifier - Marantz PM6002
Speaker - MA BR2
Speaker Cable - QED SA XT
IC - Stock
DVD/SACD - Oppo 980 (stunning upscaled DVD pictures and excellent sound)

IMO.

A

Anonymous

He wants the digital sound, he forgets the tubes.

He is in his depths.

We go for hifi here

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts