New hifi setup, advice?

bobke

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Hello good people,

I’m looking for a new hifi system, preferably with surround though the main purpose would be to play music.

I was thinking of getting a denon x2000 with B&W 683 Speakers. For surround the 686 or 685 and HTM62 center (No subwoofer for now). The salesman told me that the x2000 or even x3000 don’t have enough power to really drive the 683’s though. So now I don’t know… and came here for some advice J

I went for Denon and B&W caus we got a pretty old stereo like that and I like the sound. Since it’s already more than 20 years old and still sounds great, that means quality to me :D. I want a durable system. My preference goes to floor speakers, caus they give a nice sound (for lower price). I choose the 683 over the 684 caus the have a wider range. The manual for the 683’ recommend an amplifier power of 25W-200W. The x2000 has 7*95W so should fit, but the salesman said things were different for surround systems.

So I guess my question is, how much power do I need to bring out the best of the 683’s with a surround amp?

I don’t really know much about the technical stuff, so any comments/advice on this setup (or other alternatives) are welcome. The above setup gives an estimate of what I want to spend. If need be I can drop the surround speakers for now and get those later, but I’d like to keep the surround if possible.

Thanks,

Bob.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts