New Hi-Fi System

Cerco

Aug 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm buying a new hi-fi system and after some research I need to choose one of this three options:

- Turntable Eat B Sharp and speakers Proac DT8 with:

1) Amplifier Marantz PM8006 with CD player&Streamer Marantz ND8006

2) Amplifier Marantz PM8006 with CD player Marantz CD6006 and Streamer&Ripper Innuos Zen Mini MK3 2TB

3) Amplifier&Streamer Marantz 7000N with CD player Marantz CD6006

Can you please help me to choose and give me your thoughts?

Thanks

Kind regards

Miguel

iMark

I'd never heard of the Innuos Zen Mini Mk3. Interesting piece of equipment. I do have my doubts however about the proprietary innuOS and the possibility to make a backup of the server. It would be horrific if you had to rip all your CDs again in case of failure. This solution is even more proprietary than my Mac mini.

Reactions: Cerco

SpursGator

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, none of these amplifier choices (and really, it's the same amp in all three) have the quality needed to get the best out of those speakers. Not even close. Your speakers are several tiers above. If you can't spend any more than that on an ampm then PLEASE look at the used market. You could spend half as much on speakers and still need a better amp.

Reactions: sonic1 and Cerco

Cerco

Aug 2, 2020
Visit site
Honestly, none of these amplifier choices (and really, it's the same amp in all three) have the quality needed to get the best out of those speakers. Not even close. Your speakers are several tiers above. If you can't spend any more than that on an ampm then PLEASE look at the used market. You could spend half as much on speakers and still need a better amp.

Thanks for your help. And without substantial changes on the budget (about 7.000€) what do you recommend me? A better amp? Which one? For about the same cost the retailer recommended the Marantz KI Pearl Lite. Same thing?
Or should I make a downgrade of the speakers to fit the amplifier? KEF R3?
Thanks

Last edited:

rainsoothe

Thanks for your help. And without substantial changes on the budget (about 6.000€) what do you recommend me? A better amp? Which one? For about the same cost the retailer recommended the Marantz KI Pearl Lite. Some thing?
Or should I make a downgrade of the speakers to fit the amplifier? KEF R3?
Thanks
Hi. Imo, with that budget, you have plenty of very good options, even when purchasing new. If you can, audition and let your ears decide, but my shortlist would look something like this: Naim ND5XS2 + Nait XS3 or Supernait 3 (if you can get a deal on buying 2 pieces of gear), Linn Selekt DSM (sounds and looks awesome, is sleek to use, has a good phonostage and good software. Oh, and room correction), or a Roon Nucleus or Nucleus Plus with a Copland CSA 100 or Anthem STR Integrated.

Cerco

Aug 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi. Imo, with that budget, you have plenty of very good options, even when purchasing new. If you can, audition and let your ears decide, but my shortlist would look something like this: Naim ND5XS2 + Nait XS3 or Supernait 3 (if you can get a deal on buying 2 pieces of gear), Linn Selekt DSM (sounds and looks awesome, is sleek to use, has a good phonostage and good software. Oh, and room correction), or a Roon Nucleus or Nucleus Plus with a Copland CSA 100 or Anthem STR Integrated.

Hi. Thanks for your recommendation, but the budget (about 7.000€ plus my old B&O system) is for the complete system: Amplifier, Streamer, CD player, Turntable and Speakers.

I'm using a Bang&Olufsen System 7000 (Beomaster 7000, Beocord 7000, Beogram 7000 and Beogram CD 7000) with 20 years and I want to exchange it with the new purchase or sell it.

Thanks!

rainsoothe

Hi. Thanks for your recommendation, but the budget (about 7.000€ plus my old B&O system) is for the complete system: Amplifier, Streamer, CD player, Turntable and Speakers.

I'm using a Bang&Olufsen System 7000 (Beomaster 7000, Beocord 7000, Beogram 7000 and Beogram CD 7000) with 20 years and I want to exchange it with the new purchase or sell it.

Thanks!
Oh, I see, thought you already had the turntable and the speakers. How big is your room and how far away from walls can you position your speakers?

EDIT: Also, are you sure you want CD playback? Because unless you have a ton of obscure CDs or enjoy the ritual, you'll find close to everything on streaming services - or you can rip your CD s to a local storage device.

Cerco

Aug 2, 2020
Visit site
Oh, I see, thought you already had the turntable and the speakers. How big is your room and how far away from walls can you position your speakers?

EDIT: Also, are you sure you want CD playback? Because unless you have a ton of obscure CDs or enjoy the ritual, you'll find close to everything on streaming services - or you can rip your CD s to a local storage device.

The room is about 55m2 and the speakers can be 20/30cm away from the wall.
And, yes, I have tons of CDs and Vinyls and I enjoy the ritual :)
In the future I'm thinking of adding the Streamer & Ripper Innuos Zen Mini MK3 to the system and start ripping some of the CDs. But for now it's out of budget.

TrevC

You need to define what you mean by better, because as long as there is enough power any capable amplifier will work just fine with those speakers.

rainsoothe

The room is about 55m2 and the speakers can be 20/30cm away from the wall.
And, yes, I have tons of CDs and Vinyls and I enjoy the ritual :)
In the future I'm thinking of adding the Streamer & Ripper Innuos Zen Mini MK3 to the system and start ripping some of the CDs. But for now it's out of budget.
Ok, I am not familiar with the DT8, but I like Proac speakers, and I agree that they will require good partnering electronics.

For minimal box count, I would consider the Naim Uniti Star or Linn Majik DSM (the first will require the addition of a phonostage - Simaudio Moon 110lp v2 would be the one, the Linn will require the addition of a CD transport, like the Audiolab CDT6000 or Cambridge Audio CXC).

For better amplification, the Naim Nova would be my go-to, or even ND5XS 2 + Nait XS3 if it fits your budget. The latter system also has the benefit of an integrated phono pre-amp, but neither have a disc spinner - but they are, of course, better. If you don't mind buying sh, replace the Nait XS3 with a used Supernait 2.

Now, if you don't mind mixing gear and having different looks and high box count, you could get a second hand Cambridge Audio CXN v2 for a streamer + CXC CD transport and a used Naim Nac 202 + Nap200dr (+NAPSC maybe), and this will be both cheaper and better than the stuff above.

I also haven't heard the EAT turntable, but seems to be well praised everywhere, so it should be a safe bet - change the cart to a Nagaoka mp 150 or Audio Technica VM740ML when the equipped Ortofon expires.

As for the speakers, 30cm is not Ideal for most of the stuff out there, but do consider anything from the Focal Aria range, and also there's currently 2 pairs of heavily discounted Revel Performa 3 f206 on the bay (they are new, from a dealership I think) - going for 1800 pounds for the pair (they normally cost something like 3500-4000).

One thing about the Linn stuff, they come with some room correction software that could help with sub-optimal speaker placement, so that might be worth considering.

Of course, if you can, try to audition anything you're considering, only you can decide what you like.

P.S.: the Copland in one of my other replies is also very good, and might be a better partner for the Revels than the Naim stuff - you just need to check what it's missing and add the other parts to see if it would fit your budget.

I also highly recommend Tellurium Q Black 2 speaker cable, or at least Witchhat N2 if you go for Naim stuff.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts