New Hi-Fi is a bit poppy.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone, I'd be very grateful if someone could give me some advice? I've recently bought my first separates stereo, after many hours of auditioning, and now I have got in home it seems to be a little "poppy" (in a bad way) in that, on high notes in particular, there is a sort of pop that precedes the sound.

The setup in question is a rotel ra-05se (ex-demo) amp, ra-06se CD player with a chord company cobra plus interconnect, then B&W 685 speakers with chord company rumour 2 cable.

Is there something in this setup that could be causing this pop? I suspect the cable - there's great clarity, but the salesman said it was a little bright. If I were going to change the cable does anyone have any suggestions for keeping the clarity while curbing this pop?

The only other though I had was that something might be broken, but I've got no experience to be able to tell. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Mat

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I've been using the Rumour 2 before the Van Damme as I wanted to try something different. The rumour 2 had a neutral tone in my system and didn't seem bright. I think because the wire is silver coated they assume it will be bright.

First off make sure all connections are correct with speaker cable and interconnects.

What sound level are using using the system at when you get the popping sound? Are you playing it too loud and it is clipping? It could be the amp or speakers. Also do you have the setup near anything that might cause interference to the system?

I would check the amp first and if you have a spare set of speaker use them to rule out a speaker problem. You could try taking the amp back to store and saying it is not right. Also is it something simple like the cd player is skipping?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Your system should not be making a popping sound at all and changing cables is unlikely to solve the problem. If it was overly bright, changing cables is not going to help you in that regard either, although I'm sure someone will be along later to convince you otherwise.

If it all sounded ok in the shop, it could well be something to do with the set up, so make doubly sure that all the connections are good, with no loose wires and are correctly orientated. If they are, then there is something wrong with one of your components, so have a word with the shop and see what they suggest.

A

Anonymous

I agree, there should not be any popping sounds coming from the system. I've had the cable blamed in the past for a problem with a DVD player I had, when in fact the DVD player was faulty.

I would double check all the connections and then speak to the shop where you purchased the equipment. Sorry to hear about these problems, it's things like this that take the shine off getting new kit.

A

Anonymous

Take the issue back to the shop. Hi-Fis shouldn't pop, full stop.

A

Anonymous

Ok, thanks everyone, I will contact the shop at which I purchased the amp, CD, and speakers. The only issue is that I sourced the cable from a separate shop as I was only being offered one option in my price range from the shop at which I bought the boxes. I'm also a little worried about being told that I'm hearing things...

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
if in doubt unplug everything whilst turned off and i mean everything and start again - i have found the odd little issue when moving kit around adding or changing a component and normally a bit of dust/lose connection/cat hair ect

how are the speaker cables terminated - banana plugs? if so make sure they all fit snuggly into back of speakers and amp!

A

Anonymous

I've been trying to back-to-back some of the records where I'm getting the pop on a mini-system and I'm starting to think it's the recordings more than the equipment. Along with hearing the pops (get a lot of these on base notes as well, I've noticed) any distortion is really emphasised by the hi-fi. But again, put it into the mini system and listen closely and its all there, lurking.

However, I thought that I might take a CD or two over to the shop and listen to it on their demo equipment just to check if it's reproducing the sound the same way. If I take my cable over with me then it'll be an identical set up. Probably easier than lugging the whole lot over there.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I've never come across an original cd that pops. When you say records do you mean vinyl? Try using original cd's and not copy versions. It could just be that your new system is more revealing than your previous one.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
It's difficult to know without hearing the problem, but as has been suggested, take the offending CDs along to the shop and see if the problem remains, or maybe a mates house and try it on their kit.

I would like to clarify my earlier statement that the cables won't be a problem. They won't, providing there is not a manufacturing defect. If the shielding/central conductor is compromised for some reason, then you will have a problem, though what it would sound like I don't know.

TRENDING THREADS