New headphone assistance please

Whataboutchris

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I'm looking to buy a new pair of headphones, I currently have a £80 Marshall headphones, I like rock and blues, bit of rap, and only use my headphones indoors, my budget is max £280, ive noticed the sennheiser momentum so far, noise cancellation is not really a issue for me, but I would like a pair that contains the sound in the headphones not leaking out, could anyone help with recommendations or would sennheiser momentum be the best choice? ive heard Bowers & Wilkins p5 are good.

bobshek

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
The momentums (over ear) are sooooo much better than the P5's...... just as long as you can get your ear inside them comfortably.

They are very small for over ears, and do not sound very good at all if they sit on your ear rather than around the ear.

If you want on-ears like the P5's but better sounding, look at Momentum On (on ears), Sennheiser Amperiors, or Beyerdynamic DT1350 Facelifts.

bobshek

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
The momentums (over ear) are sooooo much better than the P5's...... just as long as you can get your ear inside them comfortably.

They are very small for over ears, and do not sound very good at all if they sit on your ear rather than around the ear.

If you want on-ears like the P5's but better sounding, look at Momentum On (on ears), Sennheiser Amperiors, or Beyerdynamic DT1350 Facelifts.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
bobshek said:
The momentums (over ear) are sooooo much better than the P5's...... just as long as you can get your ear inside them comfortably. They are very small for over ears, and do not sound very good at all if they sit on your ear rather than around the ear. If you want on-ears like the P5's but better sounding, look at Momentum On (on ears), Sennheiser Amperiors, or Beyerdynamic DT1350 Facelifts.

The Momentum On Ear is *not* an improvement over the P5 - the upper bass is very boomy and the treble is severely recessed compared to the P5.

bobshek

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
As always.... my opinion!

I think they P5 are good, but the Momentum On are better, and the Momentum over better still.

Let's just agree to disagree!!!!

AlbaBrown

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
If you can listen to a pair of the PSB M4U2 (or the 1s that I use).

I compared them to the Momentum Over ear (and OnEar), B&W P5s, and the Focal Spirit Ones.

To me the PSBs were by far the most neutral and engaging, with good pace. The Focals were not too far behind but felt a little flimsy.

Frankly the Sennheisers sounded closed in and boxy in comparison, and the B&Ws were just bland, bloated and lacking a rhythm (like their speakers really - cue the fanboys?)

As ever "hearing something is good" is no substitute to listening to it yourself! Plus make sure the ones you listen to are not fresh out of the box! Headphones need running in as much as speakers do.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
dalethorn said:
The Momentum On Ear is *not* an improvement over the P5 - the upper bass is very boomy and the treble is severely recessed compared to the P5.
Thanks for this Dale! Am I right in thinking that the Momentum (On-ear) is even more powerful in the upper bass and less in the treble than the Momentum (Over-ear)? What about the treble inconsistencies by comparison?... Are you going to do a full review of the On-ear Momentum? If so I'll just wait for that.

Not related to what's said above - do you find any difference in any of your headphones after 'burn-in'? and have you ever noticed any difference between different units of the same headphone (not different versions)? I ask this because I didn't really acknowledge burn-in until recently, the second question I've no idea about, just curious because you might have access to more headphones than I do.

JonnyD

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
I recently bought AKG K550's and love them. Really great revealind and detailed sound, well defined and strong yet not over the top bass. Very comfy and don't leak much sound at all. Worth a try out for sure.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
JonnyD said:
I recently bought AKG K550's and love them. Really great revealind and detailed sound, well defined and strong yet not over the top bass. Very comfy and don't leak much sound at all. Worth a try out for sure.
Sorry to counter you Jonny, but I feel the need to point out that I got the K550's after hearing them in a shop, where they sounded OK from a phone. I got them home and they sounded awful - complete lack of bass, poor fit and shreaking highs. Since the OP is interested in a bit of Rap I would advise caution with the K550. Even if I pressed the K550 cups hard into my head (which improves bass) I wouldn't say that the upper bass even hits the neutral point. Now I have to wonder about unit variance with the K550 because there are such polarising opinions of it from people. Perhaps that's what I experienced with the shop demo as well, but that's not a good sign.

It's such a shame because they look great and could feel great too if they had a bit of a stronger clamp, or better deisgn to fit diferent people's head sizes. It's also worth noting that the headband cannot be adjusted to fit better, not even by bending it, like some others.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
quadpatch said:
Thanks for this Dale! Am I right in thinking that the Momentum (On-ear) is even more powerful in the upper bass and less in the treble than the Momentum (Over-ear)? What about the treble inconsistencies by comparison?... Are you going to do a full review of the On-ear Momentum? If so I'll just wait for that. Not related to what's said above - do you find any difference in any of your headphones after 'burn-in'? and have you ever noticed any difference between different units of the same headphone (not different versions)? I ask this because I didn't really acknowledge burn-in until recently, the second question I've no idea about, just curious because you might have access to more headphones than I do.

Yes to the first sentence and 2 questions. Much, much more upper bass, and very rolled off treble compared to Momentum Senior. With a treble boost, the MOE sounds like an Amperior with more colorations. I will do the full review when I get back to home base in a few days. I haven't found a positively identifiable change with burn-in ever, but what is usually my big dramatic moment with any given headphone, even moreso than the initial impression, is after getting accomodated to the sound and listening for a week or two, then putting a reference headphone on for comparison, I'm generally stunned, shocked at just how colored of a sound I've tolerated (and that re-listen isn't flat - it includes any EQ adjustments I found necessary).

The need for treble boost with the MOE isn't minor - it's dramatic. I tried bass reduction first, which helped a lot, but the highs were just too muffed. I didn't find that different amps made much difference. Now wait and see the clever language I use (heh) to sell this, er, "lifestyle" headphone.

JonnyD

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
quadpatch said:
Sorry to counter you Jonny, but I feel the need to point out that I got the K550's after hearing them in a shop, where they sounded OK from a phone. I got them home and they sounded awful - complete lack of bass, poor fit and shreaking highs. Since the OP is interested in a bit of Rap I would advise caution with the K550. Even if I pressed the K550 cups hard into my head (which improves bass) I wouldn't say that the upper bass even hits the neutral point. Now I have to wonder about unit variance with the K550 because there are such polarising opinions of it from people. Perhaps that's what I experienced with the shop demo as well, but that's not a good sign.

It's such a shame because they look great and could feel great too if they had a bit of a stronger clamp, or better deisgn to fit diferent people's head sizes. It's also worth noting that the headband cannot be adjusted to fit better, not even by bending it, like some others.

no worries, I'm sure people have different experiences to me.... Shame you tried them and then got such a different experience later, maybe as you say, they vary a lot between units. I listen to all sorts, including rap with them and enjoy them a lot. Seems like one to be careful about when auditioning then

tom2b

May 7, 2012
Visit site
...whatever hasppened to the op? :? just to add my own rather limited advice* Audition*if you can, any new headphones. take your old headphones and a cd with you as a reference point... (advice*I* should have taken,lol..)

bobshek

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
tom2b said:
...whatever hasppened to the op? :? just to add my own rather limited advice* Audition*if you can, any new headphones. take your old headphones and a cd with you as a reference point... (advice*I* should have taken,lol..)

Here here.... Very well put.

All of us here can help narrow down your selection, but in the end your ears are your ears and you will have your own personal preference regardless of whatever 'ANYONE' else should say or arrogantly believe they downright know as a matter of fact.

Heck, in this thread alone, one person has said one thing about the K550 and another has said something completely different.

Be your own judge, using your own source, and making your own decision. If anyone on this forum disagrees with your final purchase.... So long as you are happy with what you hear and what you have bought.... Enjoy it and may they serve you well.

Whataboutchris

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone, I decided to buy the psb m4u1. What do you guys think of them compared to say the Sennheiser Momentum Closed Circumaural, off course there £59.00 cheaper, but I wonder if I could wear the m4u1 outdoors, do you think there stylish compared to the momentums? Which has the better sound quality, I could return them for the momentums but don't know whether I will as the m4u1 sound good, but would I wear them on holiday travelling...

bobshek

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Whataboutchris said:
Hi everyone, I decided to buy the psb m4u1. What do you guys think of them compared to say the Sennheiser Momentum Closed Circumaural, off course there £59.00 cheaper, but I wonder if I could wear the m4u1 outdoors, do you think there stylish compared to the momentums? Which has the better sound quality, I could return them for the momentums but don't know whether I will as the m4u1 sound good, but would I wear them on holiday travelling...

I've listened to the M4U2 at length and thought they were great sounding headphones. If the 1s are anything like them (minus the NC) I would be more than happy with them.

Their looks are like posh Beats.... reminding me of the expensive Ultrasone headphones...... looks are obviously upto you but I think they look good.

Worst comed to worst, see how you get on in a couple of days of listening and decide then :)

bobshek

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Whataboutchris said:

I've listened to the M4U2 at length and thought they were great sounding headphones. If the 1s are anything like them (minus the NC) I would be more than happy with them.

Their looks are like posh Beats.... reminding me of the expensive Ultrasone headphones...... looks are obviously upto you but I think they look good.

Worst comed to worst, see how you get on in a couple of days of listening and decide then :)

[NOTE FROM MODS: THREAD PRUNED TO REMOVE UNNECESSARY REMARKS AND GET BACK ON TOPIC]

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts