New forum member resurrecting a system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there,

I'm getting back into hifi after a bit of a break and am just after some tips on getting the most out of my system. I haven't got anything like a high end system but there seems to be a lot of knowledge on here that I'd like to 'tap' into!

I did have a Cambridge Audio CD4SE, Marantz PM4000 and a pair of Mission 702e's which I used for a couple of years and loved. However, the cambridge croaked it last year and the Marantz got wet so I binned it to be on the safe side. I still have the missions but now coupled to an A1 mk3 amplifier and D100 cd player (both of which I snapped up on ebay for only a couple of quid to get me started again).

I have a russ andrews tonik interconnect between the cd player and amp and cambridge audio linea 8.4 speaker cable (biwired). I leave my system switched on 24/7.

First of all I'd like some info on the D100 - I'd assume this is the first bottleneck to be upgraded? I'm tempted to buy something like a secondhand meridian 203 dac and hook it up to the digital out. My dad has a meridian/chord system and I like the 'grown up' sound of it.

Thanks for any help.

ps is there a search function on the forum?

John Duncan

There is - go to the home page and search there, then scroll down to the bottom - results from forums are underneath results from reviews/site/etc.

John Duncan

rcaulfield:

Hi there,

I'm getting back into hifi after a bit of a break and am just after some tips on getting the most out of my system. I haven't got anything like a high end system but there seems to be a lot of knowledge on here that I'd like to 'tap' into!

I did have a Cambridge Audio CD4SE, Marantz PM4000 and a pair of Mission 702e's which I used for a couple of years and loved. However, the cambridge croaked it last year and the Marantz got wet so I binned it to be on the safe side. I still have the missions but now coupled to an A1 mk3 amplifier and D100 cd player (both of which I snapped up on ebay for only a couple of quid to get me started again).

I have a russ andrews tonik interconnect between the cd player and amp and cambridge audio linea 8.4 speaker cable (biwired). I leave my system switched on 24/7.

First of all I'd like some info on the D100 - I'd assume this is the first bottleneck to be upgraded? I'm tempted to buy something like a secondhand meridian 203 dac and hook it up to the digital out. My dad has a meridian/chord system and I like the 'grown up' sound of it.

Thanks for any help.

But to answer your original question, it depends how much you want to spend - there are ways to approach getting that 'grown up sound', some of which are cheap, some of which are expensive, and none of which are adding that DAC in isolation.

What's your budget?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts