New Floorstanders and Amp 683 s2 competitors and amp...

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Hello!

Been ages since I have been on here as my hi fi (expensive) hobby took a back seat to slightly more important things like rent and food :p. Any way time has now come for me to get back into the fold and I am looking at some floorstanders/ a change from standmounters I have always had. I intend to audition the B&W 683 S2 and the Tannoy XT6 and XT8. Are there any other recomendations?

The second thing I could do with some input is an amp to drive the speakers. My budget is a bit on the low side at 500 pounds for the amplification and would like something that can drive the speakers as well as possible. I will consider second hand suggestions also if anyone has any ideas.

Re my tastes - I love a big soundstange and excellent imaging. I dont like overbloated bass. Will listen to mostly acoustic/vocal style music.

Many thanks to all!

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Can be had for cheaper than 500 nowdays and has a good tonal balance.

Out of b&w and tannoy id go for the tannoys. Ive geard both and like the tannoys better due to a better top end

But that means nothing as we all like different things in music.

Id go and listen to a few new products and keep an open mind

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Cool thanks!

I'm living in Germany at the moment but there seems to be a few nice retailers near be that stock both. I'll give them a listen. I used to have th K2 and had a bad experience with both the amp and support. There are a few CA 740A on ebay at the moment that could be have for well within budget and have a healthy power rating. Any thoughts on these?

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
CA 740A looks like a decent amp, got good reviews but now heard it. Im guessing the CA-CXA60 replaces it, so could pick one up for a snip now..........for what its worth, i reall like the appearance of the later CA stuff, looks very slick.

Rallye666

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I dont know why but I always prefer 2nd hand electronics but would never buy 2nd hand speakers. I've seen the way my friends kids treat tweeters....!

You could get a 2nd hand Roksan Kandy L3 or K2 with plenty of power and delicacy, and spend the money saved on better speakers.

Roksan and Tannoy 6.2 is a great combo

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
+1 for the Pm8005. Perhaps add the new Dali Opticon 6 to your audition list - I have the superceded Ikon 6 which I prefered to the B&W683s.

Edit to add:

There have been rave initial reports in the USA of the Elac Debut range. Designed by Andrew Jones, formally of KEF, they are budget price but not budget SQ. Might be of interest to you as a German brand.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts