New DAC contender

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
This is one to watch.

As far as I'm aware it is in production and soon to be released for around 180.

The build quality in comparison to other similar priced DACs is incredibly good!

http://www.little-tube.com/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=489&posts=6&start=1

http://www.little-tube.com/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=510&posts=5&start=1

(P.S I have no affiliation with little dot)

idc

That is the smartest DAC I have seen so far. It is a nice design that reminds me of Musical Fidelity's round X range of amps etc and it would go nicely next to my X-CANV8!

45202379200904012112522096177950226_000.jpg

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
idc:

That is the smartest DAC I have seen so far. It is a nice design that reminds me of Musical Fidelity's round X range of amps etc and it would go nicely next to my X-CANV8!

45202379200904012112522096177950226_000.jpg

What is it exactly tho?

Sorry, my eyes are obviously beginning to fail me.

A

Anonymous

I know I'd love to see a review of this in the mag. Looks well made, which is a promising start.

A

Anonymous

Lovely looking DAC - very well specified too...I'll bet it's better than the DAC Magic.

A

Anonymous

ValianTX:Lovely looking DAC - very well specified too...I'll bet it's better than the DAC Magic.

With a single wolfson dac as opposed to dual that seems unlikely.

Unlikely the beresford there is no opportunity for op amp rolling, but it does seem to use the lm4562 already

does look clean and nice though I'll agree

A

Anonymous

You can change the op amps, I asked on the forum. Lovely innards, a lot tidier than the beresford.

I have their headphone amp (see sig) and for the money the build quality is top notch. I don't think any of their products have been formally reviewed but there is strong community support. I'm sure when it is released there will be some comparison with the beresford and Magic.

A

Anonymous

Brisk:You can change the op amps, I asked on the forum. Lovely innards, a lot tidier than the beresford.

I have their headphone amp (see sig) and for the money the build quality is top notch. I don't think any of their products have been formally reviewed but there is strong community support. I'm sure when it is released there will be some comparison with the beresford and Magic.

Unless you are proficient with SMT (surface mount technology) I would leave the op amps well alone. Looking at the picture above for reference.

A

Anonymous

chebby:
ValianTX:Lovely looking DAC - very well specified too...I'll bet it's better than the DAC Magic.

Based on looks?

Looks and specs - this has a lot more potential. I had the Beresford - did nothing for me and I sent it back to Stan. This is just lovely.

A

Anonymous

raym87:
Brisk:You can change the op amps, I asked on the forum. Lovely innards, a lot tidier than the beresford.

Unless you are proficient with SMT (surface mount technology) I would leave the op amps well alone. Looking at the picture above for reference.

See the photo on the top of the page in the first link I posted, it shows the full board and removable ops just like in the beresford.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I will keep an eye out for this. Independent reviews etc.

(The guys who post on those links are obviously going to love it - regardless - because it is the manufacturer's own 'forum'.)

But LM4562NA and WM8740 as 'standard' with USB and optical, and built in (toroidal) PS look good. (One less wire and one less box)

Can't say I particularly like the styling but most DACs - including the DM - are hideous (sorry Gerrardasnails they really are) and it is all a matter of degree. At least the little dot isn't the worst.

Does this company have a shop or a UK distributor? Or is it some kind of ebay only thing?

A

Anonymous

Ebay, there are distributors in Canada, Australia and Japan

http://www.little-tube.com/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=439&posts=1&start=1

It is important to buy from the manufacturer davidzhezhe as this gets you a warranty.

A

Anonymous

Brisk:raym87:

See the photo on the top of the page in the first link I posted, it shows the full board and removable ops just like in the beresford.

The LM4562s are clearly shown on the piggy back board and they are surface mount.

I cannot read what the 2 chips are on the mainboard in the sockets. I wouldnt have thought that there would be 2 sets of LM4562's in there....maybe there is........

A

Anonymous

raym87:
The LM4562s are clearly shown on the piggy back board and they are surface mount.

I cannot read what the 2 chips are on the mainboard in the sockets. I wouldnt have thought that there would be 2 sets of LM4562's in there....maybe there is........

From looking at the main board it seems that the socketed chips drive the RCA sockets, but it isn't very clear

Looking again at the forum I can see where Brisk asked about op amp changes

Sword Yang, the board designer replies "You can change major OP", so there seem to be two sets

http://www.little-tube.com/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=510&posts=6&start=1 (#2318)

A

Anonymous

zzgavin:raym87:

From looking at the main board it seems that the socketed chips drive the RCA sockets, but it isn't very clear

Looking again at the forum I can see where Brisk asked about op amp changes

Sword Yang, the board designer replies "You can change major OP", so there seem to be two sets

http://www.little-tube.com/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=510&posts=6&start=1 (#2318)

'

I would like to know exactly what the highligted statement specifically means........

Threre may be more than 2 op amps in there (in fact its highly likely) but does this mean that the socketed ones are LM4562s used in the audio circuit or some other control circuit. Impossible to say at the mo. More clarification is need here I think

EDIT..your quote zzgavin..'From looking at the main board it seems that the socketed chips drive the RCA sockets, but it isn't very clear ''

It isnt clear at all...I would be interested to know how you came to the conclusion you did......

A

Anonymous

Very interesting, but what's it going to cost with shipping and import taxes etc. ?

There's no price shown on the Little web when I looked.

But now the pound has dropped from last summer's high of $2 to $1.50, I've given up on the idea buying any of the Little Dot kit.

John Duncan

chebby:most DACs - including the DM - are hideous (sorry Gerrardasnails they really are) and it is all a matter of degree

I'll concede that point. But some DACs are hideouser than others....

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
if the Little Dot III headphone amp is anything to go by then this will be a great product at good value

i got my Little Dot III at $2 to the £1 so it was real steal at the time

A

Anonymous

Hey ...dont get me wrong, I think LD products are fantastic. I have recommended them to forum members in the past and will continue to do so for as long as they remain as good as they are today. I came within inches of buying one of their products myself...the only thing that stopped me was they had run out of stock (hows that for popular) and there was a long waiting list so I went with Jan Meier instead.

My previous posts were only to clarify that op amp rolling was possible on this unit, not to cast aspersions on LD products. I still remain to be convinced on this point.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts