New CD Player. SACD or Universal Player? Amps surround etc

Zawinul

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Dear Hi-Fi geniuses out there

Ok I have a basic set up cd, amp speakers...

time methinks ot get with the programme, there seems to be a lot of my favourite music (prog) not out either on sacd or 5.1 mixes so i'm think of taking the plunge and setting a new system :)

i've done a bit of background it looks like I will need a new amp to play 5.1 and set of surround speakers

Any advice on DECENT budget set up. please for a starter like me, may upgrade later want decent sound?

currently Arcam Amp (old), rotel cd,( older) Mission Audio gold speakers (old) all, sound very clear and crips to me thats how i like it!

for from end do I need a SACD player or blu ray or uniserval player ... just not sure where to start!!??

BUDGET ; all less than £1000 hopefully!!

hope people out there can help

Cheers

Z

Welcome to the forum, Z!

I'm not a fan of 5.1 for music either, but then I used a fairly basic Denon receiver and DVD set up about ten years ago, with KEF egg speakers. It was great for cinema effects but horrid on stereo music. If playing a video of say a concert, the visuals distract from the sound quality.

However, the current crop of AV sets are much better, and if you stick to hifi speakers (by which I mean wooden boxes, not pods) you may like it. Id suggest booking some demo time at Richer Sounds, Sevenoaks, or whoever is local to you, to decide for yourself.

Something like this, plus a bluray player for under £100 extra:-

http://www.richersounds.com/package/system-savers/home-cinema-separates-bundle-deals/pah012787

Zawinul

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
yeah good idea to actually listnem first i may actually hate it!!

maybe i'll just up grade my cd player... itz 25 years old!!

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
While discouraged from one type of upgrade by the posts you then mentioned another, amp to CD. I suggest that rather than do this figure out if something us lacking in your system and get advice on how to address this. Just because something is old it still might be great.
It's easy to drop big money for very little improvement, very easy

Zawinul

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
muljao said:
While discouraged from one type of upgrade by the posts you then mentioned another, amp to CD. I suggest that rather than do this figure out if something us lacking in your system and get advice on how to address this. Just because something is old it still might be great. It's easy to drop big money for very little improvement, very easy

true its all true! May as well just spend nothing and enjoy what I have until it stops working!!

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
There is that. You could also consider adding a kind of modern touch for small money. Do you have a tablet (android) or a laptop. Its not overly expensive to be able to set up something like spotify on a tablet and send it to your hifi via something lile a chromecast audio (assuming you have wifi) or if laptop a usb DAC

Its a world into discovering loads of new music for a small monthly premium

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts