New CD Player / HiFi advice much appreciated

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm a newbie and am looking to buy a HIFI for my dining room. I want top quality as you can imagine and am looking to spend up to £750 including speakers. I need it to support my IPod too, maybe through a dock, so that the sound quality can also be amazing coming from the IPod. Basically, i just want real quality from my CD's and IPod

many thanks in advance

Nev

A

Anonymous

i think floor standing for me, or speakers that can go on some speaker stands i have

A

Anonymous

nevh2001:
Hi all,

I'm a newbie and am looking to buy a HIFI for my dining room. I want top quality as you can imagine and am looking to spend up to £750 including speakers. I need it to support my IPod too, maybe through a dock, so that the sound quality can also be amazing coming from the IPod. Basically, i just want real quality from my CD's and IPod

many thanks in advance

Nev

For £750 for CD, Amp and speakers, you're looking at "very respectable" rather than top quality.

I would suggest the Marantz Combo (PM6002 and CD6002) perhaps with a pair of Monitor Audio BR2s and Apple's own dock. With interconnects and speaker cable, that should comfortably fit the budget.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Well that clears things up Nev...(!)

Seriously, if you are looking at traditional separates, then something like the Marantz 6002 CD player, paired with the Rotel RA04 will do the job fine. This then leaves you around £300ish for the speakers, which should get you something like the Dali Lektor 1s or the B&W 685s.

If you are quick, Richer Sounds have the Tannoy Mercury F4 Customs (that this mag rated at 4 stars at the original price of £380) at £149.99 - an absolute steal!!!

While TB makes a valid point, I think either of the combos (I would suggest the apple dock as well) would make a sound that you would be really chuffed with!

A

Anonymous

Guys, already your advice is superb and i look the look of all the above. I understand that £750 would not get "top quality" but its still a good budget.

thanks again

A

Anonymous

Yes, it is a decent budget. It's roughly what I spent myself on my amp, CD and speakers, and they give a level of performance that is not to be sniffed at. Good luck, and make sure you listen before you buy.

John Duncan

nevh2001:
Guys, already your advice is superb and i look the look of all the above. I understand that £750 would not get "top quality" but its still a good budget.

thanks again

It's a very respectable budget. With the Tannoy F4s now £120 at Richer Sounds, adding them to something like the Marantz CD6002/PM6002 combo (or, even better, the PM7001 if you can stretch to it), and you have a fantastic system which will kick serious butt.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
nevh2001:

thanks again

Wait til a s/h pair of AVI ADM9's (predecessor to 9.1's) come up on ebay as they do regularely. They go for about that sort of money and are usually well looked after as owners upgrade to the 9.1's.

Imo you'll find nothing for that money that will equal them.

regards

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
fatboyslimfast:But will they have enough bass by themselves DM (i.e. without a sub)?

Depends on the room and how you like your music. Many use them without, I prefer them with. Small price to pay for the many things they do right. Add one in the future. BK's minotaur is only a hundred odd quid and matches fine.

To the OP, you have to add source but they incorporate a DAC so use your old cd or dvdp. Alternatively use AE/Laptop for streaming as many do.

Hope this helps

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
nevh2001:
Hi all,

many thanks in advance

Nev

Nothing wrong with any of the above suggestions but if you can get the Tannoy speakers for £150 (and I would too with your budget), the combination below is excellent - I should know as I used to have the pair connected to my RS6s. The Creek Evo is a lot of amp for £500, let alone £390 (you can sometimes get ex demos from their website for a little cheaper too). The Denon cd player looks and feels like a much more expensive disc spinner and it's very good for under £250. So, £150 for speakers, £390 for amp and £195 for cdp leaves you with just £15 but you are getting great value.

http://www.hifix.co.uk/sku2.lasso?DENON-DCD700AE&item=5fa5d8ca063315fd1609829731733c13

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2723

T

the record spot

I'm not sure how these would go together, but both are well rated and the NAD C542 is an excellent and often overlooked CD player. For £350 or so, it was good value, but discounted it's even better. Likewise the Audiolab 8000s amplifier which clocked in at around £500 but with £200 off, it's a bona fide bargain.

The great benefit of the Audiolab is you have an upgrade path open to you should you want it; you can add power amps to the 8000s.

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1533

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2387

This leaves you about £180 for speakers and the aforementioned Tannoy F4 Customs - £120 at Richer Sounds - would clatter anything else at the price. Also leaves you money for decent cable and maybe a CD or two to finish off. For your £750, you could have a seriously good system that might sound way over what it cost. Best have a listen if you can though (and as the CD and amp are on offer at Superfi, they might also do a deal for you in pairing some speakers up).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts