New CD -player for Naim Nait5i/Linn Ninka system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I have a Rotel RCD1072 cd-player, Naim Nait5i amplifier and Linn Ninka speakers. I think the match between the Naim and Rotel can be a bit better. The sound is sometimes a little too bright and technical but otherwise pretty okay. So im thinking of a cd-player upgrade. Besides a good matching Naim player, what other brand is a good match with my amp and speakers? I have a max of 1000 euroos to spend!

Greetings,

LPLOVER

Netherlands

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
LPLOVER:Besides a good matching Naim player, what other brand is a good match with my amp and speakers? I have a max of 1000 euroos to spend!

Ebay often have good used Naim CD5i players for around £450 - £500

Many Naim dealers have ex-demo CD5is that might fit your budget.

Otherwise I wholeheartedly recommend Rega Apollo (or Saturn) CD players that are a good match for Naim amplifiers.

Here is a good ex-demo Rega Saturn from an excellent dealer (whom I have used and trust) and it is within your budget and it is black. (To match your Naim)

A

Anonymous

Thanx chebby for your reply. I was just thinking about the Apollo or Saturn players.

Robin

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I have been to a dealer which has an Apollo and Saturn player. I brought along with me the Rotel with interlinks and power cord for a comparisson. The set was a Rega Elicit amp, Totem Forest speakers and Chord interlinks. I only listen to the Saturn player. The Saturn had a more 3d soundstage and a sweeter balance. The Rotel was more robust with a tighter bass, more direct but also more fatigue to listen to. At the end it still wasn't clear to me if the Saturn was better or not?

Robin

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
LPLOVER:The Rotel was more robust with a tighter bass, more direct but also more fatigue to listen to. At the end it still wasn't clear to me if the Saturn was better or not?

If you're ok with fatigue then stay as you are.

Are you going to try the Saturn at home with the equipment you are familiar with?

A

Anonymous

i am not sure what to do. Maybe a go listen to a Naim player the cd5i or xs? I want the powerfull and robust quality from the rotel but with a more natural musical balance.

Marantz?

Robin

A

Anonymous

Unfortunately your test won't have told you much, since the equipment you heard the CD players through has a decidedly different sound to your own.

That said, I'd definitely audition the CD5i and the Rega again, preferably in your own system. Either that, or at least take your amp along to the shops.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I can borrow a Naim CD5i(italic) and Rega Saturn from a local dealer for a few days testing at home in my own setup. De Naim is a secondhand one for half the newprice. Sadly it doesn't have a coaxiale digital output so i cannot make digital copies with my pioneer cd recorder.

Robin

A

Anonymous

I have mixed feelings about the Naim CD5i-MKII player. The sound is more organic than the Rotel but im missing the low end and high end extension. The Rotel has more sparkle to the mids and highs, more slam to the bass and is more a party animal soundwise than the Naim. The soundstage isn't all that different and they both lacking a really good 3d sounstage. At the end i still prefer the Rotel. No cd5imkII for my ears. Next saterday i can test the Rega saturn in my set up.

Testmaterial:

Yello; best of

Eels;

High resolution world music

House music

Mazzanine from massive attack (the bass in Angel is far more robust and tight with the Rotel than with the Naim for example)

Robin

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I am surprised the rega apollo and saturn were not better than the rotel. I would of thought the regas were more detailed too. I found the rotel lacked the 3d image as you mentioned but also that open seperation between instruments, that openness at the top end, I found the rotel a little rolled off at the top end. I must admit I havent compared them on the same system but have heard them on different systems.

The other cd players you could try is the new audiolab and the consonance cd-120 linear. I own the consonance it has a very natural sounding mids ( fairly analogue sounding) and fairly rich vivid sound with good imaging.

Cheers

Steve.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

The Audiolab isn't available yet on mainland Europa because of some troubles still ocuring with the electronics and lacking a dealer network. If i read the reviews it has the same soundquality as a Cyrus player, bright and flowing.

To my ears the Naim has a somewhat darke, less pure but more organic sound than the more bright and analytical Rotel. I have a couple of days to go before a make a final judgement. I must admit it sounds better after 24 hours operating without turning it off.

Robin

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Sorry I misread your last comments - comparing the naim to the rotel rather than the regas against the Rotel - oops.
emotion-10.gif

The naim I have heard which has excellent timing, punch, musicality etc. I would also think that it would be better than the rotel 1072. The naim would probably need burn in time to sound its best. My consonance sounded not very good till after 100 hrs burn in then the sound opened up, bass extended, more detail etc it took about 300 hrs till it sounded its best. The naim would probably be more extended in the bass than the rega apollo, the rega apollo would be more open up top than the naim I would think - both musical machines.

All the best in your search.

Cheers

Steve.

A

Anonymous

the naim is a second hand one from my dealer so it's burned in very well
emotion-2.gif
It's half the price of a new one (600 euro) and it's only 1,5 year old. But i must admitt again that after a couple of hours listening i liked the Naim better and better. it's better for me not to sell the Rotel but to have 2 cd-players with a different character. I have tried a better shielded power cord but i prefer the Naim supplied power chord.

Robin

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I have two cd players too, my old marantz cd63se which I couldnt part with, love its crisp top end and nice mids. I also got the consonance which is more vivid in the mids and quite smooth and i enjoy listening too both at different times.

I had to get rid of some of my older hifi cables and equipment at my wifes gentle encouragement if I bought anything new.
emotion-5.gif

Cheers

Steve.

A

Anonymous

Im returning the Naim CD5i MKII back to my dealer. All round the Rotel has a better soundquality for the kind of music im listening to.

Robin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts