NEW BUILD HOME

panacon

May 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi there,

I am lucky enough to be doing a complete back to brick redevelopment of our house. It is a standard 1930s 3 bedroom house, now with a new loft concversion. Seeing we are going completely back to brick, i am thinking its a good opportunity to get all wiring required for internet tv and media in thouse hidden in the walls now. Also as we are planning to spend a few years in the house, would love the idea of having everything future proofed.

We'll be using Virgin 152mb broadband and will have sky tv in the living room and possibly kitchen. At the moent i am thinking the virgin tel/broadband will enter the house in the front living room -- through walls run up to first floor study where a good router will helpfully allow me to work everything in the house wirelessly.
But then do i need direct cabling to the living room for the sky box etc?
Is it Cat -5 cabling i require?
Could anyone recomend somewhere i may be able to get more info on this kind of stuff, are places like richer sounds able to advise me on tvhis kind of thing?
Cheers

trj007

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
panacon said:
Hi there,

I am lucky enough to be doing a complete back to brick redevelopment of our house. It is a standard 1930s 3 bedroom house, now with a new loft concversion. Seeing we are going completely back to brick, i am thinking its a good opportunity to get all wiring required for internet tv and media in thouse hidden in the walls now. Also as we are planning to spend a few years in the house, would love the idea of having everything future proofed.

We'll be using Virgin 152mb broadband and will have sky tv in the living room and possibly kitchen. At the moent i am thinking the virgin tel/broadband will enter the house in the front living room -- through walls run up to first floor study where a good router will helpfully allow me to work everything in the house wirelessly.But then do i need direct cabling to the living room for the sky box etc?Is it Cat -5 cabling i require?Could anyone recomend somewhere i may be able to get more info on this kind of stuff, are places like richer sounds able to advise me on tvhis kind of thing?Cheers

Try here http://www.uk-automation.co.uk/

r1t35h

Feb 5, 2009
Visit site
Hi mate I have just finished doing my bros house and ran cat 6a around the instead of cat5e

went for a good quality cable as was going into the walls don't run along same a power cable.

able to run any device to any tv screen in house now

rs6mra

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Cat 5e is more than capable of doing the job for you. I would suggest running at least two cables from the first floor study where the router would be located to the living room where the TV etc would be located. The reason for suggesting two cables is that you never know what might happen in the future if you have to replace a cable. in the living room you will then be able to connect directly to the Sky box and if you have other equipment then you can easily expand with a switch. Engineers tend to always run a pair to cables from a central point to any room.

Do not count on your wifi reaching every part of the house. The best way to address wifi deadspots is to create an access point. This is usually best done by running a cable from the router to somewhere in the house where you have a weak spot. An old router can be crippled to do the job for you.

It would be worth running cat 5e UTP cable to any point in the house where there is a TV. I always recommend having devices wired where possible.

Lastly when buying UTP cable avoid the type that is classified as CCA regulated.

rs6mra said:
Cat 5e is more than capable of doing the job for you. I would suggest running at least two cables from the first floor study where the router would be located to the living room where the TV etc would be located. The reason for suggesting two cables is that you never know what might happen in the future if you have to replace a cable. in the living room you will then be able to connect directly to the Sky box and if you have other equipment then you can easily expand with a switch. Engineers tend to always run a pair to cables from a central point to any room. 

Do not count on your wifi reaching every part of the house. The best way to address wifi deadspots is to create an access point. This is usually best done by running a cable from the router to somewhere in the house where you have a weak spot. An old router can be crippled to do the job for you. 

It would be worth running cat 5e UTP cable to any point in the house where there is a TV. I always recommend having devices wired where possible. 

Lastly when buying UTP cable avoid the type that is classified as CCA regulated. 
Probably too late to advise, given that the thread is more than a year old!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts