New budget speakers and possibly amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am looking to upgrade from my Q Acoustic 1050i floorstanders. I have a pair of Soundstyle Z1 stands sitting spare and was thinking of getting a pair of Monitor Audio BX2. This will be used with my technics amp and cd player. I may upgrade the amp (su-a900) to the Marantz PM6004 although im not sure yet. I was wondering how the Monitor Audio BX2's would compare to my old floorstanders? I dont need the world of bass as I have a seperate sub that can be used if need be, however I dont want anything that sounds too bright. I listen to a wide variety of music and I am looking for a bookshelf speaker which makes average recordings sound listenable. Any advice is appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Any ideas what would be an upgrade? I find that the tweeter on the q acoustics sounds a little harsh, it may well be my cd player or amp but I thought the speakers would be a good starting point.

A

Anonymous

May I ask what your estimate budget for new speakers is.

I may not be able to give you exact suggestion as I do not live in England but maybe I can give you some idea.

A

Anonymous

I have never heard the Marantz amp you mention, but is that likely to be an upgrade? I am loving the 900Mk2 I found in an Oxfam shop.

A

Anonymous

thanks for your reply, max budget is £400. Can be bookshelf or floorstanding.

A

Anonymous

Death by China said:
I have never heard the Marantz amp you mention, but is that likely to be an upgrade? I am loving the 900Mk2 I found in an Oxfam shop.

I do love my 900mk2 and for an amp thats now 16 years old it has never missed a beat. However maybe I have just got tired of the same type of sound over the years. It is still better sounding for music then my denon avr2310 but I am sure the new integrated amps on the market must have a better soundstage and a more open sound to them.

Unpublished - duplicate post

A

Anonymous

Death by China said:

I do love my 900mk2 and for an amp thats now 16 years old it has never missed a beat. However maybe I have just got tired of the same type of sound over the years. It is still better sounding for music then my denon avr2310 but I am sure the new integrated amps on the market must have a better soundstage and a more open sound to them.

A

Anonymous

I once had the Q-Acoustics 2020 in my possession for around 6-7 months and found them to be some very great speakers in their price range. (Bought it for THB9000 - less than GBP200) I am not sure how much they are sold over there. One of my suggestion is if you like the sound of Q, what you could do is try out the their new series which I believe have improved in terms of treble, it does not sound hard and it has good details. You could possibly move your 1050 to your HT set.

IMHO My overall satisfaction with Q 2020 was much better that B&W CM-1 in terms of value/quality, especially in Thailand where CM1 is retailed more than GBP1000

I had good experience with Kef IQ series as well, I felt that their sound was quite unity, with good details but not too bright. I paired it with the Marantz PM7001 which by the way was a wonderfull amp.

I only had tried the Monitor Audio BR series which I don't think I can compare their quality with the existing model anymore.

Hope this is a bit usefull to you

A

Anonymous

Ok got a pair of monitor audio BX2's, although they dont go as loud as the big q acoustics or seem to offer as much low end bass, I prefer the sound of these. I thought they would sound really bright and tinny because of the metal tweeter but actually in my setup they sound quite nice (at least to my ears). I already had a pair of soundstyle Z1 stands sitting at home and they are the perfect size for the BX2's. I can see now why these speakers have had such praise, they offer a insight into proper hifi without the big cost.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts