New budget or used standmount speakers

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking at buying some new, or used, speakers to replace my old B&W DM600s.

My budget is quite small at £120 and I can't decide between something new like Wharfedale Diamond 9.1, Monitor Audio MR1, Tannoy Mercury V1 or go for used speakers such as B&W 601 S2, Monitor Audio BR2?

It seems that I could get a "better" but older speaker by going down the 2nd hand route but will a brand new budget speaker sound better than a higher quality 5 - 10 year old speaker?

Also am I overlooking any other speakers that I could consider?

I mostly listen to Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Guns n Roses with occasional Enya and Clannad.

Thanks

Gaz37 said:
I'm looking at buying some new, or used, speakers to replace my old B&W DM600s.

My budget is quite small at £120 and I can't decide between something new like Wharfedale Diamond 9.1, Monitor Audio MR1, Tannoy Mercury V1 or go for used speakers such as B&W 601 S2, Monitor Audio BR2?

It seems that I could get a "better" but older speaker by going down the 2nd hand route but will a brand new budget speaker sound better than a higher quality 5 - 10 year old speaker?

Also am I overlooking any other speakers that I could consider?

I mostly listen to Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Guns n Roses with occasional Enya and Clannad.

Thanks

Yes you will get more for your money second-hand and speakers of the age you mention are unlikely to be bettered by modern cheap standmounts. The only thing you will not get is warranty and the ability to audition them, in most cases.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
There are a few second hand hifi dealers about. Yes buying used will give far better quality and choice especially with your budget. No I don't think speakers have changed that much recently. Don't believe what the hifi mags tell you.

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
That's confirmed what I was thinking/hoping.

I'm watching a pair of DM602 S3s and a suspiciously cheap (£50 buy it now) pair of Monitor Audio BR2s on the bay of evil.

Does anybody have any knowledge of Polk Audio RT3? Are they worth considering?

Gaz37 said:
That's confirmed what I was thinking/hoping.

I'm watching a pair of DM602 S3s and a suspiciously cheap (£50 buy it now) pair of Monitor Audio BR2s on the bay of evil.

Does anybody have any knowledge of Polk Audio RT3? Are they worth considering?

Not heard them but the Polks are probably quite old and, being American, you may find replacement drivers hard to come by. Could be wrong though. If going second-hand I would tend to stick with British or European designs that should make replacement parts easier to come by if required.

Not wanting to sound too xenophobic here but it makes sense economically.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Monitor Audio BX2 are brilliant for the money 2nd hand, beautifully put together and punch way above their weight sonically. Cambridge Audio S30's are cheap as chips on fleabay and are also very good budget speakers. Q Acoustics 2010 & 2020 also well worth a look.

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
knaithrover said:
Monitor Audio BX2 are brilliant for the money 2nd hand, beautifully put together and punch way above their weight sonically. Cambridge Audio S30's are cheap as chips on fleabay and are also very good budget speakers. Q Acoustics 2010 & 2020 also well worth a look.

I know it shouldn't come into the equation but for me Q Acoustics speakers are so ugly and out of proportion I've ruled them out.

I'm struggling to find a definitive answer to the difference between the MA BR3 & BX2, I know the bx replaced the br but that's all I know.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts