New Brio-r or used Roksan?

Hayche

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Hello all

i have a budget of £1000 for a amp and cd player. My speakers are wharfedale diamond 122. What hifi says the they got the best out of the 121s with the brio r which I am happy to settle with but I could go for a used roksan k2 or the arcam a19.

Would I get a good enough benefit in sound quality with the roksan or arcam or would it be over kill with these speakers?

thanks

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
the roksans a good amp - powerfull too, it'll be ready when you are to upgrade - no tone controls though.

wait long enough you'll get the Arcam for less than the brio - I have not heard etheir of these amps though, worth auditioning with the speakers before you buy.

Philim

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
the roksans a good amp - powerfull too, it'll be ready when you are to upgrade - no tone controls though. wait long enough you'll get the Arcam for less than the brio - I have not heard etheir of these amps though, worth auditioning with the speakers before you buy.

Powerful? Yes relative to price. Good? Errr no

Philim

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
the roksans a good amp - powerfull too, it'll be ready when you are to upgrade - no tone controls though. wait long enough you'll get the Arcam for less than the brio - I have not heard etheir of these amps though, worth auditioning with the speakers before you buy.

Powerful? Yes relative to price. Good? Errr no

dansettemajor

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
What's wrong with the Roksan K2? It's a great amplifier, solid bass, detailed and involving sound.
Also excellent build quality and plenty of inputs with a decent phono stage.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
dansettemajor said:
What's wrong with the Roksan K2? It's a great amplifier, solid bass, detailed and involving sound. Also excellent build quality and plenty of inputs with a decent phono stage.

Who said there was anything wrong with it?

I heard it twice in demos, its OK, if you need the power and bass then it could be the one for you, IMO it did not have the clarity of some other amps, maybe the bass was swamping the sound slightly? You can get them new for £650 or less, they have been out for a while, I guess ex-demos go for around £550. I thought the Creek 50A was better for me.

Philim

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
That was myself. To qualify i have owned a kandy and the power amp. Sadly the experience cost me a lot of money due to my inexperience.

Cynic-al

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Philim said:
That was myself. To qualify i have owned a kandy and the power amp. Sadly the experience cost me a lot of money due to my inexperience.
Philm, why was your experience a bad one? Was it sound quality or reliability?

Philim

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
The issue is more around getting out to listen to a lot of different bits before you buy. Whilst buying blind second hand may be cheapest it can work out more expensive in the long run as you end up with gear that doesn't suit you and you end up changing. Equally buying second hand can be difficult as people don't want to bother dealers when they have no intention of buying. An idea may be to visit the whittle bury show in sept where you can listen to a variety of equipment.

I bought the roksan on the back of whf reviews and poor guidance from a dealer whom I shallnt name. The amp itself was well built and solid but the tonal balance and lack of clarity I thought was poor and listening was fatiguing. As I said earlier I suspect speaker matching is key.

So much so that I went to test another set of speakers with the roksan thinking it was the speakers. Interesting the dealer made the comment that whilst they stock the kandy it was tucked away in a corner and didn't sell any as comparatively to other items it didn't perform we'll. it was only after listening to a variety of different combos that it became obvious where the issue was. The problem is now I am a naim addict with serious upgraditous but that's another story.......

TRENDING THREADS