New Bookshelf speakers for my Nad C316BEE

gasolin

So fare based on reviews i have narrowed it down to wharfedale diamond 12.1 and 12.2 and mission LX2 and 3 MK II

I don't want a bright,thin sound with listening fatigue, a little more power,more effordless sound when playing loud and a little more bass,oomph.
When i play pop,rock music i often miss a little bass, i want it to sound a little more effordless,relaxed (relaxed not the same as a smoother,softer sound) when playing loud, like i can play alot loud and is nowhere near it's limit, could be a combination of easier speaker laod (ohm) and sensitivity.

300 punds or 340 euros for a pair

My speakers have low sensitivity but despite that they play okay loud, the upper midrange,lower highs are soft,easy listening and an neutral bass,midrange, no listening fatigue (red)

118deftechs.meas.jpg

D7 (red) +1.45/–2.79 dB, 200 Hz to 10 kHz; –3 dB @ 65 Hz, –6 dB @ 57 Hz; impedance minimum 4.70 ohms @ 216 Hz,
phase angle –56.76º @ 114 Hz; sensitivity 83 dB, 500 Hz to 2 kHz.

Last edited:

matthewpiano

As always, auditioning is the only way to be completely confident.

Out of the models you mention, I'd suggest the Missions are the best way to go in providing the sound you are looking for. I haven't heard the new Diamonds, but going on experience of past versions and Wharfedale in general I'm not sure they'll quite cut the mustard for your requirements.

Reactions: nopiano

gasolin

Im not able to audiotion, there is no place where they have them in Denmark, since the mission and wharfedale speakers are so new, also where the only store is, is a little fare away from where i live and you should try not to visit to many places and get in contact with to many people to avoid covid 19.

Mission has the tweeter at the bottom and are theer for not at ear level (desk) wheer the whardale has dual binding post=trickers some ocd that makes me want to use double speaker cable

They have the speakers in uk

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 116933

i used always used Mission with NAD, play really nicely together

gasolin

Last edited:

gasolin

I had a pair of diamond 220

I feel the sound was dark, lacking bass (as do the diamonds 225 when playing normal pop,rock, lacking bass) and the midrange sounded strange.

I feel i need a lively,dynamic,bass heavy amp to get most out of both speakers, they just sound to comfortable,to soft, not enought get up and dance over the sound, a little borring like they don't want to offend anyone by have to much bass,treble and energy that makes you wanna dance,sing

MartinEvoke50

Aug 30, 2020
Visit site

So fare based on reviews i have narrowed it down to wharfedale diamond 12.1 and 12.2 and mission LX2 and 3 MK II

I don't want a bright,thin sound with listening fatigue, a little more power,more effordless sound when playing loud and a little more bass,oomph.
When i play pop,rock music i often miss a little bass, i want it to sound a little more effordless,relaxed (relaxed not the same as a smoother,softer sound) when playing loud, like i can play alot loud and is nowhere near it's limit, could be a combination of easier speaker laod (ohm) and sensitivity.

300 punds or 340 euros for a pair

My speakers have low sensitivity but despite that they play okay loud, the upper midrange,lower highs are soft,easy listening and an neutral bass,midrange, no listening fatigue (red)

118deftechs.meas.jpg

D7 (red) +1.45/–2.79 dB, 200 Hz to 10 kHz; –3 dB @ 65 Hz, –6 dB @ 57 Hz; impedance minimum 4.70 ohms @ 216 Hz,
phase angle –56.76º @ 114 Hz; sensitivity 83 dB, 500 Hz to 2 kHz.
Bowers & Wilkins 607 Standmount / Bookshelf

Reactions: manicm

gasolin

Bowers & Wilkins 607

Out of my price range update i just found out the sensitivity is 84db, that is something i want to avoid

My price range is Dali oberon 1 (new), q acoustics 3030i (new, to deep),wharfedale diamond 12.2, Mission LX-3 MKII (Both new)

I don't like the highs from dali zensor, so a pair of zensor 3 is out of the question

Last edited:
Reactions: lmlmlm

gasolin

A little bit above his budget but good recommendation

To low sensitivity, i want to avoid 84db, i would like to have more so i can play loud without using as much power, as i do now when i have 83-85 db sensitive speakers (i found a used pair for 403 euros).

I must admit even if i go for up to 7" speakers it's hard to find bookshelf speakers with higher sensitivity (and not just rated for it) than 88 db

To low sensitivity, i want to avoid 84db, i would like to have more so i can play loud without using as much power, as i do now when i have 83-85 db sensitive speakers (i found a used pair for 403 euros).

I must admit even if i go for up to 7" speakers it's hard to find bookshelf speakers with higher sensitivity (and not just rated for it) than 88 db
Understood. 88dB is pretty sensitive and small 'bookcase' speakers with anything higher are rare and unlikely within your budget.
The Icon Audio MFV 6 are 88dB and an easy load but cost £600, the bigger MFV 2 are 90dB but more expensive again, you cannot do better with a small box......

gasolin

So fare the best option to me seem the Mission LX 3 MKII and Wharfedale diamond 12.2 + if i can fin a preamp or amplifer for not alot of money and willing to take the risk of getting active speakers that might have hiss, i could go for studio monitors they are loud and have alot of bass

Last edited:

rainsoothe

For the record, I also found the 220 bass light with the Nad, so if the new ones are similar, I'd try something else - Mission or Elac.

Edit: autocorrect had turned "Nad" to "Bad" :) Fixed now.

Last edited:

gasolin

For the record, I also found the 220 bass light with the Nad, so if the new ones are similar, I'd try something else - Mission or Elac.

Edit: autocorrect had turned "Nad" to "Bad" :) Fixed now.

The diamond 12 is not the model that replaced the diamond 220/225 (even the 225 is not bass heavy, it's bass light, it's restraining itself in the highs and lows).

The new diamond 310 and 320 is also bass light, why i don't know since they are not LOUD speakers

The diamond 12 is not the model that replaced the diamond 220/225 (even the 225 is not bass heavy, it's bass light, it's restraining itself in the highs and lows).

The new diamond 310 and 320 is also bass light, why i don't know since they are not LOUD speakers
To me the Wharfdale Diamonds are neutral in general, I wouldn't consider them bass light. Often this comes with poor speaker positioning.
Just shows that people will hear completely different aspects when auditioning a speaker and shows the importance of going to audition for yourself.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I've never heard anything by them but have you considered the Klipsch range of speakers? They seem to get good reviews, pretty dynamic and with sensitivity figures you are looking for.

rainsoothe

To me the Wharfdale Diamonds are neutral in general, I wouldn't consider them bass light. Often this comes with poor speaker positioning.
Just shows that people will hear completely different aspects when auditioning a speaker and shows the importance of going to audition for yourself.
I found them bass light WITH the Nad c316 bee. I also experimented a bit with positioning, but in my dad's room they sit on a shelf, close to the back wall. Still not enough bass, imo.

Reactions: gasolin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts