Question New bookshelf for new installation and room

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi, after moving my installation in a new room and changing some of my components, I'm lookin' for the right bookshelf.

Player: dedicated laptop with Hiface 2
Amp: Onkyo 9010 with the integrated DAC
Bookshelf: B&W 685 S1

Room size: 9,5 x 10
Big carpet on the floor between speakers and me.
Lots of furniture (desk, bookshelf, painting on walls)

I found the 685 too bright.

Position is tricky, only place I can place it is 8 inch from back wall and 20 inch from each other directly put on a bookshelf.

When listening with earphone I'm REALLY pleased with my LG G6 Quad DAC with Momentum M2 OverEar.

Listening to 50's and 60's jazz.

Lookin' for recommandation in the range of Dali Spektor 2 or Wharfedale 225.

Thank you

D

Deleted member 116933

Difficult really, you really need just a try a few, its guessing game in regards to your placement requirements. Maybe try to find a sealed design as it could help
seeing as you have to it so close to the wall. Rear ports can be problematic but so can front ports

You seem well versed in the brands there really isn't much more people will be able to tell you.

I had some luck with dali and Onkyo in the past so maybe a good place to start. if you can push the budget a little a pair of Neat aplha speakers might work quite well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it’s your placement that’s the issue. An ideal brand is pretty much impossible to say, other than find a nice dealer who will lend you a few to try at home. If you will be able to use the system in a less compromised location in due course, then just use your tone controls to tame the treble, or add some soft furnishings.

Longchops

Oct 15, 2020
Visit site
To be honest, the way you are placing them will sound very bad, they are far too close together to achieve any kind of stereo separation at all, you won't get very good bass, and you will get a lot of vibration and buzzing from whatever is on the bookshelf. Also you are listening to music that was recorded very crudely too, often in mono.

I think the equipment you have is plenty good enough for how you are using it. I think to spend any more would just be a waste of money in my opinion. The best thing you could possibly buy right now is a pair of speaker stands, it would make far more difference to the sound quality than buying more gear.

rainsoothe

OP's main problem is with sibilance, though, not necessarily looking for an upgrade. Yes, positioning is a problem, but the Wharfedales might be a solution - they're smoother in the highs if I remember right, and have a down-firing port. If you could position the speakers on stands, though, I'd suggest an amplifier change instead - namely the Rega io and, if you need a DAC, a cheap Topping or something like that (or Google Chromecast if you just need a streamer).

OP's main problem is with sibilance, though, not necessarily looking for an upgrade. Yes, positioning is a problem, but the Wharfedales might be a solution - they're smoother in the highs if I remember right, and have a down-firing port. If you could position the speakers on stands, though, I'd suggest an amplifier change instead - namely the Rega io and, if you need a DAC, a cheap Topping or something like that (or Google Chromecast if you just need a streamer).
Are you on the right thread?
Where's the problem with sibilence?

Tonestar1

I don't think you have the correct tech or set up for your situation. If the speakers are only 20 inches apart you are never going to get an acceptable sound with traditional stand mount passives. I'd be looking at selling the amp as well and getting a small set of desktop actives such as Ruark MR1 MK2 which are designed to work far closer together or a set of mini monitors which are again designed to focus the sound more when not being placed to far apart. I'd also invest in some isolation below each speaker as they will be having a negative affect on each other being that close together on the same surface. Other option is a lager smart speaker.

matthewpiano

As stated above, your positioning is a major issue and will always result in some level of compromise regardless of the kit you are using.

Having said that, B&W tweeters can be very bright. I have a pair of 606s in their box upstairs as with most amplifiers I have found them too bright, and they are also very forward sounding which becomes tiring after a while. If bass was your issue you could try some tuning using the 2-part foam bungs B&W supply, but you're never going to change the character of that tweeter.

If you want something that's easy to drive, fairly flexible on positioning (as much as any ported hi-fi speaker can be) and more friendly in its sound, I'd warmly recommend the Monitor Audio Monitor 50. I use them upstairs myself, in less than ideal positions, and they sound very nice.

I do think @Tonestar1 makes a very good suggestion however. Actives such as the KRKs are designed to be used in recording set-ups where space is often at a premium and might just offer you the solution you need.

Last edited:

Longchops

Oct 15, 2020
Visit site
From the OP:
''Position is tricky, only place I can place it is 8 inch from back wall and 20 inch from each other directly put on a bookshelf. ''

Yes of course, but this is a hi fi forum, not a medium fi forum. Going tone chasing from that position is a terrible idea and should never be entertained. if you don't have the space for a stereo then I don't see the point in owning one

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts