New Blu-ray Player - suggestions?

BWA1

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,

I'm moving my existing Sony Blu-ray player to a second room and therefore now looking to invest in a new player to form my main setup.

I want to replace with this with more mid/high range player with universal playback (multi region DVD an bluray), wifi, bbc iplayer and lovefilm apps,

4k upscaling.

I've been looking at Oppo, Denon and Arcam models - but would welcome any suggestions please?

much appreciated!

1) What's the rest of your system like?

2) Why do you need 4K upscaling? Your future 4K TV will also upscale movies to 4K (although most players now offer 4K upscaling anyway).

Sony, Samsung & LG all offer both Lovefilm as well as iplayer. Sony & LG multiregion / multizone blu rays available here:

http://www.mrmdvd.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=159

I'm not sure if Oppo, Denon, Marantz, Cambridge Audio and Arcam have both Lovefilm and BBC iplayer.

If you want multiregion for both DVDs and blu rays, you can add this mod to Oppo and Cambridge Audio (not sure about others):

http://www.bluraychip.dk/

What's your budget? How important is blu ray multizone to you? DVD multiregion is cheap, but making a player multizone for blu rays typically adds £100 to the price of the player.

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
BWA1 said:
Hi there,

I'm moving my existing Sony Blu-ray player to a second room and therefore now looking to invest in a new player to form my main setup.

I want to replace with this with more mid/high range player with universal playback (multi region DVD an bluray), wifi, bbc iplayer and lovefilm apps,

4k upscaling.

I've been looking at Oppo, Denon and Arcam models - but would welcome any suggestions please?

much appreciated!

I would lean toward the Arcam & Oppo. If the multi-region for Blu Ray is important the Oppo would be the obvious one to look at as it would be the easiest to convert. If it is not massively important, I would not discount the Arcam. If you can arrange a demo that would be your best bet.

BWA1

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,

Many thanks for all the suggestions, I want a really good, flexible Blu Ray player that is future-proofed as much as possible.

My current system consists of the following:

Panasonic TX-L42E30B TV

Sony STR-DH810 Receiver

Sony BDP-S360 blu ray

Sky+HD box

Boston Acoustics Soundware XS 5.1 speaker system

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I once sent Oppo an Email asking if and where I could buy a multi region player in Canada. I received a snotty Email back from customer service stating in no way do they approve of any form of multi region playback and any modification would invalidate their warranty.

If you do go for oppo modded for multi region, just make sure the modifier gives you a warranty.

I wouldn't buy a product from oppo, just down to the reply I got from them.

skippy said:
I once sent Oppo an Email asking if and where I could buy a multi region player in Canada. I received a snotty Email back from customer service stating in no way do they approve of any form of multi region playback and any modification would invalidate their warranty.

If you do go for oppo modded for multi region, just make sure the modifier gives you a warranty.

I wouldn't buy a product from oppo, just down to the reply I got from them.

Oppo will have to say that, as it's an agreement between the blu ray player manufacturers & the studios. Oppo mods are easily reversible so the delete can take the (hardware) mod out before sending it for repairs under manufacturer's warranty.

BWA1

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,

Many thanks for the suggestions - obviously some time has past now and I've not decided on a model to invest in and would appreciate some contemporary advice please.

I've been looking at the Whatr Hifi Blu Ray player of the year - the Sony BDP-S790 as it seems to tick all boxes but i cant get hold of it anymore - nowhere seems to sell it and keep getting the same response 'oooh that's an old one!'

Any other suggestions?

Many thanks

D

Deleted member 2457

What about this Sony?

http://www.totaldigital.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=114_44&products_id=5059

D

Deleted member 2457

Or this one:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/blu-ray/sony/bdpa6000/sony-bdpa6000

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts