New Amplifier - suggestions / help wanted - thanks

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I am currently running a Musical Fidelity A5 Pre Amp and two Arcam P35 Power Amps - I want to change to a one box solution that has two sets of speaker outputs so I can continue to use my bi-wire speaker cable - how much would i need to spend to get a 1 box solution of the same or better quality and any suggestions?

If the amp had a built in dac that could be useful but not essential - for example the Cyrus 8XPD?

Also would like it to have home theatre/cinema pass through.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Never heard an mf pre-amplifier with Arcam power amps so could'nt help in the slightest, even if I wanted to. Further underlined by the lack of any useful comments by yourself on what you like about it, how many rubels you got and so on and so forth ...

... but I do remember HIFI Worlds Noel Keywood reviewing an Onkyo receiver some time ago which he placed firmly in 'audiophile' territory. It was around 1.4k. I got it somewhere and look it up if you're interested though as it was about a year ago they have probably launched 25 new ones since.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
there is nothing i dislike about my setup, I find it works really well together and i really enjoy the sound - my only reason is purely from a space perspective - i am keen to streamline my setup so I am planning on making a few changes - only thing i will be keeping are my monitor audio pl100 speakers and the sub as fits in with the rest of my home cinema setup - thought would swap the amps first then the CDP and dac

pricewise probably around the £2k mark

music wise mostly modern stuff and like everything from acoustic, indy, rock, female vocals ect

A

Anonymous

The Harman Kardon HK990 could be an interesting option, not heard one, but would like to.

Has a built in DAC.

A

Anonymous

Have you considered an MF integrated amplifier, matengawhat? Either the new one (M6i or something like this), or an older one, like the A1008. I don't know either of them, but if you like the MF sound that you currently have, then this is an obvious place to start. Also, some MF amps do have USB dacs, though I'm not sure which ones.

Hedgehog

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
did think about the new M6i but only one set of speakers outputs - sounds daft but was trying not to have to send my speakers cable back for reterminating - but always something i could do if it turns out everything i'm looking at only has one set

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
The receiver in question was Onkyo's TX-NR906, very highly rated by NK and does everything except make your bed though by the time you read this the new model does that probably too. Hifi World Vol.19 No.1.

Butt-ugly though.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:... and if you spend that sort of money you should add a Supernait to your list. Not for me but you may like it.

I've just moved from a Creek OBH-12 pre-amp and Arcam P35 & P38 power amps (so that could be as close to your set-up as anyone on the forums is likely to get) to a Naim SuperNait. It doesn't quite fit all your criteria because it only has one set of speaker outputs, but then you could probably get your cables re-terminated.

But I would suggest that even if you moved to using the SuperNait single-wired (as I have done) then if you like the Naim sound it would probably represent a profound upgrade from your current amp - it certainly has for me.

But then you may not like the Naim sound - it will be very different from what you're used to. The Arcams err on the warm side and I can tell you that the P38 is not a lot different to the P35. The Creek is very neutral though, so by reputation I imagine that your MF enhances (or exacerbates, depending on whether you like it or not) the warmth of the Arcams.

The Naim sound is brighter at the top end, extremely revealing across the frequency range, the bass is superbly deep, tight and textured, and the whole sound has a very direct, punchy and vivid presentation. I was looking to get a little closer to what live music sounds like and it absolutely fit the bill for me. The icing on the cake is the dynamic range - compared to the Arcam power amps (both of them bi-amping) the Naim's ability to respond to changes in volume (i.e. naturally occurring in the material being replayed) and to keep all elements of the presentation rock-solid is just amazing to me. I think it helps that it obviously matches very well with my PMC speakers, which in hindsight i don't think that the Arcams necessarily do.

Not sure how it will go with your MAs, but I seriously suggest you give it a try.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
matengawhat:cheers for that - didn't realise the supernait had a dac in it! - will check it out

Actually I should have said that the DAC I was using before was a Cambridge Audio DacMagic, and obviously it was the whole package of DAC + amp that I was contrasting with the SuperNait above.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
moon i3.3 has ht bypass and can be specced with internal dac. if it's anything like the i3rs, it'll be slightly on the warm side. only single speaker outputs though.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
"JD, when will safari work properly on this site?
i would've put a smiley after that, but i can't..."

Ha ha, here here. That made me want to put a smiley, but I can't either!

T

the record spot

matengawhat:
I am currently running a Musical Fidelity A5 Pre Amp and two Arcam P35 Power Amps - I want to change to a one box solution that has two sets of speaker outputs so I can continue to use my bi-wire speaker cable - how much would i need to spend to get a 1 box solution of the same or better quality and any suggestions?

If the amp had a built in dac that could be useful but not essential - for example the Cyrus 8XPD?

Also would like it to have home theatre/cinema pass through.

I'd have a good look at Harman Kardon's HK990 amplifier - details below:-

http://www.thehomecinemacentre.co.uk/index.php/hi_fi/hi-fi_amplifier/harman_kardon_hk990/

150wpc, European amp of the year, award winner in this year's Hi Fi News awards, excellent build quality, onboard DAC, powerhouse build but with an apparently very assured delivery. I know this would definitely be on my shortlist.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts