New amplification

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I currently have an Arcam A65+ amp coupled with a Rotel RCD-1070 CD player, which are played through B&W 601 S3s. For home cinema I have a Yamaha DSP-AX750SE. This and the Arcam drive my speakers for surround sound.

I love my stereo set up, but have for some time wanted to simplify things, by replacing the Arcam and Yamaha with a 7 channel power amp and a pre-amp processor.

I'm considering the Audiolab 8000AV and 8000X7, but I'm unsure how this amplification set up will compare with the sound my Arcam/Rotel/B&Ws produce at the moment. I don't want to compromise the CD sound I have. (I'm confident that the 5.1 side of things will be perfect).

Could those with some experience please shed some light if possible.

Thanks.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Absolutely go for the 8000AV/8000X7 if you can find it at the giveaway prices at which it's been offered recently - as a purist design it makes up for in performance what it lacks in state-of-the-art connectivity.

Connect your CD player through the L/R sockets of the multichannel analogue audio input for the cleanest signal path through the processor, but also have a try using the internal digital to analogue converters in the 8000AV and a digital connection from your amp.

A

Anonymous

Andrew, thank you for that very positive reply. Part of the reason I am hanging my nose over the Audiolab pairing is the incredible price, as well as the fact that it should be great kit. Ideally I would have gone for the Arcam DIVA pre/power setup to maintain the sound I have now, but the price is out of my reach!!

I currently use a Chord Co Silver Siren interconnect between CD and Amp, which I will continue with, however I obviously need to invest in some more interconnects to hook up the pre/power amps. Even discounted, the outlay on the Audiolab is substantial (for me anyway), but I presume the cabling needs to be up to the task, so can you suggest some suitable interconnects please?

Thanks again.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Interconnects become more important when use between pre/power, imo...the best around are VIRTUAL DYNAMICS Nite 3, CARDAS GOLDEN REFERENCE, KRYTAL KABLE STERLING 2.

A

Anonymous

I think you will find the B&W a very limiting factor as you get better amplification,so you would need to bear that in mind.

A

Anonymous

Silly, thanks for your reply. I see your point. I guess the B&Ws would become the poor relation. Changing those will just have to wait though, if I feel it is necessary.

I suppose if I don't audition better speakers, I won't know any better, so no loss!!!

A

Anonymous

Andrew,

Interested in your comments on the 8000AV/8000X7..... how does this set-up compare to the Onkyo 875 that got your best buy award given that the price is currently around the same?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts