New Amp......

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Finally got my new amp home and got it set up...... [:D]

I was trying to find the thread from a week or so ago where people were guessing what it was going to be to announce it, but I couldn't find it.

A

Anonymous

I think you had a Z7 and you once said that you wished you went for the Z11 instead - if I remember correctly.

A

Anonymous

i asked what it was , come on david , fill us in
emotion-4.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

SamsonD:It must be a Z11.

Yeah i once remember David saying he wanted the Yamaha DSP-Z11 to go with his M&Ks.

Congrats David
emotion-21.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I think I did once say I had a DSPZ7 because I was extremely close to getting one, but it didn't happen.

In the end, after taking into account the volume level that I listen at, the extra features I needed, and the sort of sound I was getting, and what I wanted to change about it, I went for.....

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Well done gel!

I went for an SCLX82. Why?

I'm not into 3D, so don't care about newer amps. I wanted THX back to have a play, although it wasn't really a necessity. The main things I needed was better power delivery, two HDMI outputs, and for it to be black, not silver! Also, my system was sounding a little on the warm side, and my 'lower' volume levels (-25dB/-20dB) were exaggerating the problem. I'm used to M&K's producing a leaner, more detailed sound, so thought the Pioneer might well fit the bill. And it has! Tried a few quick snippets of Tim Burton's 9 last night, and it's all sounding rather meaty without the excessive warmth I was previously getting.

Well, that's one in the arm for those that say the Pioneer amps are too 'bright' and forward and can't be used with supposedly similar sounding speakers
emotion-2.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It's certainly perked up the M&K's. Because the 150's like to be played loud, they were sounding a little soft to me at normal volumes - the leaner, tighter, faster nature of the Pioneer has realy done the trick.

Now to get used to another manufacturer's menu system and little quirks....
emotion-2.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

FrankHarveyHiFi:

Well done gel!

I'm not into 3D, so don't care about newer amps. I wanted THX back to have a play, although it wasn't really a necessity. The main things I needed was better power delivery, two HDMI outputs, and for it to be black, not silver! Also, my system was sounding a little on the warm side, and my 'lower' volume levels (-25dB/-20dB) were exaggerating the problem. I'm used to M&K's producing a leaner, more detailed sound, so thought the Pioneer might well fit the bill. And it has! Tried a few quick snippets of Tim Burton's 9 last night, and it's all sounding rather meaty without the excessive warmth I was previously getting.

Well, that's one in the arm for those that say the Pioneer amps are too 'bright' and forward and can't be used with supposedly similar sounding speakers
emotion-2.gif

emotion-2.gif
Ha Ha welcome aboard David, there will be no looking back now, brilliant. I have to say i am still getting used to all the new hd soundtracks i have not even tried the THX ones yet, this amp just keeps on giving. Look forward to hearing how you get on with it more in the future.
emotion-21.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

FrankHarveyHiFi:

It's certainly perked up the M&K's. Because the 150's like to be played loud, they were sounding a little soft to me at normal volumes - the leaner, tighter, faster nature of the Pioneer has realy done the trick.

Now to get used to another manufacturer's menu system and little quirks....
emotion-2.gif

Yeah it took me a while to get used to it all, just remember this is a very clever amp and it lets you know when something in your setup is not quite right
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

gel:FrankHarveyHiFi:

Well done gel!

emotion-2.gif

emotion-2.gif
Ha Ha welcome aboard David, there will be no looking back now, brilliant. I have to say i am still getting used to all the new hd soundtracks i have not even tried the THX ones yet, this amp just keeps on giving. Look forward to hearing how you get on with it more in the future.
emotion-21.gif

Im with Gel on this one , please keep updating your findings as you had previously suggested my Z7 does not have sufficient power for my M&K,s

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I can tell the LX82 is much better than my older, lesser Yamaha even though one of my ears is slightly blocked. That'll be sorted out on Thursday, and I can put it fully through it's paces then....

A

Anonymous

Must admit..........Lean & clear has been the order of the day for me too. So pleased I got this amp.
emotion-21.gif

Good to know someone who has experience of many amps does too.

Give us Pio fan boys
emotion-2.gif
the benefit of your knowledge on it's working etc please David.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
lesmor:Im with Gel on this one , please keep updating your findings as you had previously suggested my Z7 does not have sufficient power for my M&K,s

It's not that the Z7 doesn't have sufficient power, it's more that the 150's need more current to sound their best, which is demonstrated by the DSPZ11. When we first tried the SCLX82 with the 150's when it was released, it sounded promising, but still found it couldn't match the driving abilities of the DSPZ11. Between the Z7 and LX82, I wouldn't say that either one drive the 150's any better than the other. I know the LX82 won't drive the 150's properly at reference level, but I don't watch at reference level at the moment. With my Yamaha 3800, the 150's were sounding great, but just sounded too soft and lacking excitement (as any speaker would if not driven properly). The Pioneer has an advantage here in that it's amplification is leaner and faster, and at the levels I listen at, helps to lose that softness and bring back a little more ohat the 150's are about. No doubt a Z7 would've given mough of an upgrade, but although I could've got one at a decent price, the deal was I had to buy a Bluray player with it too, making the package a little less attractive. Pioneer came up with a good price, and I thought that it's digital amplification could be exactly what I need right now.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:

lesmor:Im with Gel on this one , please keep updating your findings as you had previously suggested my Z7 does not have sufficient power for my M&K,s

It's not that the Z7 doesn't have sufficient power, it's more that the 150's need more current to sound their best, which is demonstrated by the DSPZ11. When we first tried the SCLX82 with the 150's when it was released, it sounded promising, but still found it couldn't match the driving abilities of the DSPZ11. Between the Z7 and LX82, I wouldn't say that either one drive the 150's any better than the other. I know the LX82 won't drive the 150's properly at reference level, but I don't watch at reference level at the moment. With my Yamaha 3800, the 150's were sounding great, but just sounded too soft and lacking excitement (as any speaker would if not driven properly). The Pioneer has an advantage here in that it's amplification is leaner and faster, and at the levels I listen at, helps to lose that softness and bring back a little more ohat the 150's are about. No doubt a Z7 would've given mough of an upgrade, but although I could've got one at a decent price, the deal was I had to buy a Bluray player with it too, making the package a little less attractive. Pioneer came up with a good price, and I thought that it's digital amplification could be exactly what I need right now.

Much Appreciated David I'll stick with my Z7 until a bargain Z11 comes along

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:

Much Appreciated David I'll stick with my Z7 then , until perhaps a bargain Z11 comes along

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts