New amp?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

anton69plati

Mar 12, 2021
Visit site
To be honest Insider9, I have a want to listen to the albums on a HI-FI of the era, kind of how they would be listened to then at that time'ish, having said that, I know, the Valve Pre-amp is a modern addition but as my Phono inputs are knackered, I needed it to get the SL-1700 going AND, I know the SU-Z22 is '81 so not far off and the mark. That's the reason really

insider9

Fair enough. I don't have much experience with gear from that era but I've looked many a times and did a fair amount of research. I don't know price wise thought but I'd point you towards some of these which are all on my list to buy one day. In no particular order.

Krell KSA-50 or KSA-100, Conrad-Johnson Premier One, Harman Kardon Citation Two, Hafler DH200, Quad 303 or perhaps a something like a Carver

anton69plati

Mar 12, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for the response insider. I'm pretty new to this and they, if over budget for me, look like a power amp i.e. no adjustment for bass/treble/filters.

I've seen these before and often wondered why? Is this how they class amps?

My new little pre amp has no tonal adjustments at all so I'm using the bass/treble/filters on the Technics amp so i would want those options on a new amp but why do these amps have no adjustments on them?

Thanks

Thanks for the response insider. I'm pretty new to this and they, if over budget for me, look like a power amp i.e. no adjustment for bass/treble/filters.

I've seen these before and often wondered why? Is this how they class amps?

My new little pre amp has no tonal adjustments at all so I'm using the bass/treble/filters on the Technics amp so i would want those options on a new amp but why do these amps have no adjustments on them?

Thanks
They are indeed power amps and not sure why they were suggested.
Apologies, just posted before I saw the above post.

anton69plati

Mar 12, 2021
Visit site
So, any suggestions re potential Amp choices?

I keep looking and just when I think I've found something that may replace and upgrade the Technics SU-z22, I find reviews slamming it, its an out an out minefield and i know its down to taste but it seems to be 50/50 on every amp half like, half hate!

D

Deleted member 116933

So, any suggestions re potential Amp choices?

I keep looking and just when I think I've found something that may replace and upgrade the Technics SU-z22, I find reviews slamming it, its an out an out minefield and i know its down to taste but it seems to be 50/50 on every amp half like, half hate!

Reviews mean nothing. Good luck trying to find a review of mine they just don’t supply them for review very often if at all. So you have to listen.

The difference between any hifi product is tiny and isn’t as night and day as many make out no product crushes such and such for sound. Many can’t even hear the difference. Everything in this day and age is good.

My best advice is to look for something that suits your needs. For Eg do you need a built-in DAC, do want to stream, do you need a phono stage and so on. Then find something you like the look of and can live with. Then Listen to amps with those features.

Don’t read too much you’ll always hear more of the bad than good. To quote a little green fellow “it’s busier more seductive”.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: insider9

anton69plati

Mar 12, 2021
Visit site
Thanks Millenia

I think I was approaching this in a "get what info and advice you can to make a single that will work from the first day"

I guess what your saying is "make your own mind up", give stuff a try and see where it leads you.

I suppose by doing that, there's enjoyment through discovery.

Thanks for your response, your advice is greatly appreciated

Anton

insider9

The difficulty suggesting anything is that not many of us would've had lots of experience with pre 1980 amps. We're talking units from 40+ years ago. Whatever you read about any of these you need to take with a grain of salt as parts would be difficult to obtain after such a time and even though the engineering was great back in the day you may be getting units that have been modified and no longer sound the way they were meant to sound. They should come close but how close is anyone's guess.

For instance my 1988 amp has recently gone through service and a minor repair. I'm lucky to have a unit that hasn't gone through many owners and seen little use. At the same time that repair would've impacted on the sound of the unit as original volume pot can no longer be sourced. The amp is not only Japan only model but from an ESX line which was their turbo charged line that makes it even more rare and spare parts impossible to find. I can only hope that mosfets will last another 30 years as if anything major goes I will have 20 kg of spare parts.

I can tell for sure that the pot has improved the sound quality but considering it replaced original 33 year old pot I'd expect it to. How it compares to what the amp sounded when new I will never know. We're not talking major repairs here. How many 40+ year old amps do you think will the luxury of not going through major repairs?

Be brave go on your gut feeling and listen to as many amps as you can afford you will eventually find a gem you will not be parting with. But expect to be disappointed more than once and be open to losing some money along the way. It's the only way to learn.

anton69plati

Mar 12, 2021
Visit site
Thanks Insider9

I think I shall be taking the plunge very soon after all the advice I have been given, see how that goes and if necessary move on from there until I find the right amp, as you say, its a learning curve which I am looking forward to

As always, thanks everyone for all your help!

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I still don't understand why you'd want to buy a forty year old transistor amp unless you are a restorer or collector. None of the amps listed fall in that category.

400 pounds would buy a decent new amplifier ... something like a Rega.

Last edited:

anton69plati

Mar 12, 2021
Visit site
RoA

As I mentioned further up the thread:

I have a want to listen to the albums on a HI-FI of the era, kind of how they would be listened to then at that time'ish, having said that, I know the Valve Pre-amp is a modern addition but as my Phono inputs are knackered, I needed it to get the SL-1700 Mk1 going …. That's the reason really

Which list of amps are you referring to RoA?

Anton

RoA

As I mentioned further up the thread:

I have a want to listen to the albums on a HI-FI of the era, kind of how they would be listened to then at that time'ish, having said that, I know the Valve Pre-amp is a modern addition but as my Phono inputs are knackered, I needed it to get the SL-1700 Mk1 going …. That's the reason really

Which list of amps are you referring to RoA?

Anton
I see where you're going but if you want to listen to LPs as they were meant to be heard your main thing to get right is the equalization on the phono preamp. Now most of the cheap ones will only come with RIAA equalization as this is what was used on most LPs of recent years. The older recordings might use Decca or some other equalization.
So, to all intents and purposes, an old amplifier is not necessarily what you need.
Having said that I doubt you are going to listen to much pre 1954..... :)

anton69plati

Mar 12, 2021
Visit site
I see where you're going but if you want to listen to LPs as they were meant to be heard your main thing to get right is the equalization on the phono preamp. Now most of the cheap ones will only come with RIAA equalization as this is what was used on most LPs of recent years. The older recordings might use Decca or some other equalization.
So, to all intents and purposes, an old amplifier is not necessarily what you need.
Having said that I doubt you are going to listen to much pre 1954..... :)

anton69plati

Mar 12, 2021
Visit site
Hi Al Ears

No really a pre '54 listener as you say

So, my Pr-Ject tube preamp has no control at all, what it did do as I mentioned on another thread you helped with, was just up the ante quality wise, I was actually so shocked at the difference it made but, having said that, it was my first time using the SL-1700 Mk1 with new Empire stylus so it may be one or both that gave me the incredible hike up in sound quality, even to my very inexperienced ears

So that said, you know where I want to get to, with a £5-600 budget, what should I be looking at as an addition to my setup?

I was that close to pushing the button on the Luxman L80 i have seen before you commented!

Hi Al Ears

No really a pre '54 listener as you say

So, my Pr-Ject tube preamp has no control at all, what it did do as I mentioned on another thread you helped with, was just up the ante quality wise, I was actually so shocked at the difference it made but, having said that, it was my first time using the SL-1700 Mk1 with new Empire stylus so it may be one or both that gave me the incredible hike up in sound quality, even to my very inexperienced ears

So that said, you know where I want to get to, with a £5-600 budget, what should I be looking at as an addition to my setup?

I was that close to pushing the button on the Luxman L80 i have seen before you commented!
Don't let me put you off but as others have mentioned in this thread, old amps can be a heap of grief.
If it were my money I would steer clear of amps that you have no idea as to their history unless they can prove they have been recently serviced by a professional.
The preamplifier section and indeed the phono preamplifier themselves along with the cartridge are the things that determine most the quality of the sound, speakers aside. The power amplifier section should do just that, amplify without adding anything.
A good quality second hand amp from the late ninetys or early 2000'should be where my money would go.
perhaps something from Creek or the original Roksan Caspian or this:-

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts