anton69plati

Mar 12, 2021
Visit site
Afternoon all!

So, my setup as it stands is Technics SL-1700 mk1, going into a soon to be delivered Pro-Ject Tube Box 2 Tube Pre-Amp, my Technics SU-Z22 Phono inputs are buggered (Thanks Gray for all your advice although you didn't actually suggest the Pro-Ject, you talked me through the issues so I understood :)) and then into a pair of Technics SB-4500's, I also have a pair of SB-3050's but tweeter needs changing over which i have and will do at some point

I am happy with both pairs of speakers, the TT and hoping the tube pre-amp will perform as it should when it arrives but, I am thinking to change the SU-Z22 for another amp up to the £400 to £500 mark. Been looking at Technics/Luxman/Rotel etc Would be happier with a pre 80's amp ideally which is when most of my albums where made

I listen to vinyl 99% of the time, usually classic albums from Floyd to Rodriguez and War on Drugs to Nick Drake and back round to Kate Bush and Miles Davis etc

What thoughts do you have?

Thanks for any advice in advance

I don't think I will bother contributing to this one...... Over to Gray
On the other hand I will.
If you were thinking of upgrading the amp as well you should have said and then you might have saved the money you have just spent in a possibly redundant phono preamp. :)

camcroft

Afternoon all!

So, my setup as it stands is Technics SL-1700 mk1, going into a soon to be delivered Pro-Ject Tube Box 2 Tube Pre-Amp, my Technics SU-Z22 Phono inputs are buggered (Thanks Gray for all your advice although you didn't actually suggest the Pro-Ject, you talked me through the issues so I understood :)) and then into a pair of Technics SB-4500's, I also have a pair of SB-3050's but tweeter needs changing over which i have and will do at some point

I am happy with both pairs of speakers, the TT and hoping the tube pre-amp will perform as it should when it arrives but, I am thinking to change the SU-Z22 for another amp up to the £400 to £500 mark. Been looking at Technics/Luxman/Rotel etc Would be happier with a pre 80's amp ideally which is when most of my albums where made

I listen to vinyl 99% of the time, usually classic albums from Floyd to Rodriguez and War on Drugs to Nick Drake and back round to Kate Bush and Miles Davis etc

What thoughts do you have?

Thanks for any advice in advance
Which Rodriguez are you talking about?

camcroft

Yep. Recorded soooooo Lo-Fi its incredible! Some of the the production ideas where so bad they are fantastic and take nothing away from the song but actually add to the listening pleasure, my new favourite
I first came across his album and the original Cold Fact in South Africa a guy lent me a cassette it was in a works people carrier he left it in the player I was driving one day and thought what the hell is this I listened and after a while was hooked. The film Searching for Sugar Man brought him to peoples attention. My nephew had a night club in Pretoria South Africa and he came to his club and after the night was over they shared a joint together.

anton69plati

Mar 12, 2021
Visit site
I first came across his album and the original Cold Fact in South Africa a guy lent me a cassette it was in a works people carrier he left it in the player I was driving one day and thought what the hell is this I listened and after a while was hooked. The film Searching for Sugar Man brought him to peoples attention. My nephew had a night club in Pretoria South Africa and he came to his club and after the night was over they shared a joint together.
He only came to my attention after the Sugarman documentary some months ago but totally understand why he would have been a staple for the young SA set at that time. We had our albums that gave us the same as he did to them but, although not great for him, I love the fact there's only 2 albums and a half written 3rd, feels like your discovering (well for the rest of the world but SA) something. A collection of songs by an artist that hasn't been critiqued yet, that has no opinions attached to it which allows you to have yours without prejudices, so rare I'm guessing it will only happen every 100 solar eclipses!

Reactions: camcroft
So.... I guess you are referring to the fact I have just bought a preamp to overcome the issue of the phono inputs on the amp not working so, why then would I then buy a new amp, is that it?

If I'm wrong, can you do me a favour and just tell me
You mentioned Gray as resolving your issue and suggesting a preamp, when it was me, not that it matters as long as your problem resolved.

anton69plati

Mar 12, 2021
Visit site
Right, now I understand!

Massive apology Al ears, if you can re-read my initial message and replace Gray your name it would be appreciated. I have had help from both of you in the past and simply got confused

You people for newbies like myself are the difference between to blind or assumptive decisions and educated choices.

Again, thanks for your help on the last issue re the preamp, it made complete sense.........once I was told!

Reactions: Gray

insider9

OP, that's a cool vintage setup you have there. I'd point you towards slightly more modern gear. Not by much, no more than a decade. I'd suggest finding a good example of an amp from Japanese golden era. £500 won't get you top of the line unit though but it will be a great sounding amp and a big upgrade on what you have.

Sony amp from that era are incredible. I'm sure they would surprise many. Yet, somehow Sony doesn't have a huge following overall. Considering it's the company behind things like Walkman, Coax and ahem... CD.

Right, now I understand!

Massive apology Al ears, if you can re-read my initial message and replace Gray your name it would be appreciated. I have had help from both of you in the past and simply got confused

You people for newbies like myself are the difference between to blind or assumptive decisions and educated choices.

Again, thanks for your help on the last issue re the preamp, it made complete sense.........once I was told!
It's not really an issue, forget it, between us your problem was resolved (hopefully :) ) that is the idea of this forum.....

OP, that's a cool vintage setup you have there. I'd point you towards slightly more modern gear. Not by much, no more than a decade. I'd suggest finding a good example of an amp from Japanese golden era. £500 won't get you top of the line unit though but it will be a great sounding amp and a big upgrade on what you have.

Sony amp from that era are incredible. I'm sure they would surprise many. Yet, somehow Sony doesn't have a huge following overall. Considering it's the company behind things like Walkman, Coax and ahem... CD.

Sony only carried on the good work of Philips regarding CDs

anton69plati

Mar 12, 2021
Visit site
It's not really an issue, forget it, between us your problem was resolved (hopefully :) ) that is the idea of this forum.....
I've had nothing but help from this forum, cant wait for the valve preamp, looking forward to using the SL-1700 and the what difference the Preamp will make!

Thanks again, id be lost without the help :)

Reactions: Al ears

anton69plati

Mar 12, 2021
Visit site
So, gonna go back to my original question that started this thread,

Running the SL-1700 to a Pro-Ject Tube Box II then into my SU-Z22 and out through my SB-4500's. I play only vinyl, 70's mainly from Floyd to Nick Drake past Kate Bush then a left at AC/DC before returning home on the night bus driven by Led Zeppelin. So, my question is, if you were me and wanted to upgrade your Amplifier and had £500, what would you look at? I know all my gear is Technics but am happy to look at other makes BUT....has to be pre 1980

Thanks in advance

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Does your 500 include a once over and any replacement parts or is that on top? If not you should probably look at £300 amps unless you can find a refurbished one.

anton69plati

Mar 12, 2021
Visit site
Hi RoA

No, will pay for a complete overhaul after, I am not technical enough or have the time to be unfortunately.

Having said that, £500 is the very top end, I've been investigating the Luxman L410 and L81????

anton69plati

Mar 12, 2021
Visit site
Hi RoA

No, will pay for a complete overhaul after, I am not technical enough or have the time to be unfortunately.

Having said that, £500 is the very top end, I've been investigating the Luxman L410 and L81????
Sorry, sent before I'd finished

Bothe Luxmans come in around the £350/375 mark and a very very clean Revox A78 I've seen at £340.

I've also been looking at Technics but there are soooo many and so many conflicted reviews its a mine field!

Ant

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I am not a vintage amp expert, others will be more help. Mine was a more general comment.

Perhaps also join one of the more vintage orientated forums and make sure whatever you choose can still be repaired. Things can go pop after such a long time. Having said that they can go pop on new stuff.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts