New Amp or Dac?

rtd999

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

I currently listen to a lot of music through a Denon pma250se (oldie, but still sounds pretty good!) & B & W 685's connected to a macbook connected to an external hard-drive playing mostly 320kb files but also quite a few lower bitrate through itunes

My question is would my sound improve more if I bought a new amp (thinking about the new Yamaha AS500) or would I be better buying a Dacmagic or Arcam rDac. As the Dac's are priced near to the cost of the Yamaha, not sure if it's best to ditch my 17 year old Denon for the Yamaha or add a Dac for my old Denon. Really just looking for the best sound from my setup.

Or would be difference be fairly minimal & I'd be better off sticking with current setup?

Thanks

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
rtd999:
Hello,

I currently listen to a lot of music through a Denon pma250se (oldie, but still sounds pretty good!) & B & W 685's connected to a macbook connected to an external hard-drive playing mostly 320kb files but also quite a few lower bitrate through itunes

My question is would my sound improve more if I bought a new amp (thinking about the new Yamaha AS500) or would I be better buying a Dacmagic or Arcam rDac. As the Dac's are priced near to the cost of the Yamaha, not sure if it's best to ditch my 17 year old Denon for the Yamaha or add a Dac for my old Denon. Really just looking for the best sound from my setup.

Or would be difference be fairly minimal & I'd be better off sticking with current setup?

Thanks

I would change both. My Dad had a similar set up, same amp, same files (with a few FLAC), using a WD Live media player. His speakers were budget Kef standmounts. I got him a Beresford DAC on eBay for about £70 and use the pre amp part of it. I also got him a Denon 355UK for a tenners difference to whatI sold his 250SE. Massive improvement.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts