New amp for Sonos Connect or move to Integrated Streamer/Amp

dbp99

Apr 7, 2021
Visit site
Hi,
first time poster.
My setup is as follows -

I have a Sonos Connect with an Arcam SonLink DAC - this in turn is connected to an old NAD 3130 Amp (which I have had to dig out from the attic when my Arcam Solo died). The amp drives a pair of floor standing System Audio 1530 speakers.
SA1530 Speaker Review

Most music listening is via Deezer Hi-Fi Flac through Sonos app, with my old CD ripped to FLAC on a NAS.

I am looking to replace the NAD amp, possibly with a Rega Brio or Marantz PM 6007 - I'd welcome any feedback on the choice and if this is likely to be a step-up from the NAD.

However I had also looked at the PM7000 which is a more expensive option to possibly replace the full SonosConnect/Sonlink DAC and Amp - would you feel this is a worthwhile spend from a Sound perspective (appreciate the PM7000 would have additional streaming options).

D.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I assume you are going to keep the speakers?

This is a tough one to answer because Nad imo have always done good amps. If this one works correct there's nothing to indicate whether the brio or marantz are better. They may sound different. I will say though that likely they would be better because chances are the nad is no longer at its best.

Deezer hi res can also be done on a marantz nr1200 which is reasonably priced and gets good reviews (all on one like the marantz pm7000).

dbp99

Apr 7, 2021
Visit site
Thanks Muljao
Yes I plan to keep the speakers - they cost about €1200 10 years ago so am happy with them but fell that perhaps I am not getting the best out of them with the NAD instead of the Arcam Solo.
The Brio seems to have less features/function than the Marantz but enough if the only source is the Sonos?
D.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
If it was me I'd look at the newest sonos amp, simply because it's simple. It'll interface like everything is now, you can plug few bits in later if needed, one box solution, plenty of power

The marantz amps are great, whether they'll suit you or not is another thing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts