new amp for PMC 23

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Now that I have my new speakers properly burnt in (they are *awesome*) the next challenge is going to be a new amp.

My Brio-R is performing outstanding, but it's also clear that the PMC's will do better with more juice. Now, before you think, why didn't he thought of this before buying new speakers? Well, I did, but I need to do this in steps (budget you know), and finding my new speakers took me 2 years, so I suspect for this new amp it will take some time as well :)

On my list are at least 3 amps: a Rega Elicit-R as I thoroughly enjoy my Brio-R, a Naim SuperNait 2 and a Naim XS 2. The Naim's are there because I listened to a SuperNait 2 at my dealer (connected to the PMC's of course) and I was extremely impressed. So the Naim is new for me, but it's on the list.

So, on top of those 3, which do you guys think I need to add for audition?

Regards,

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
yeah. Valve is nothing for me. I like it with singer/song writers and alike, but it just doesn't work out (for me of course) with rock and / or dance and / or electronics.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
spockfish said:
yeah. Valve is nothing for me. I like it with singer/song writers and alike, but it just doesn't work out (for me of course) with rock and / or dance and / or electronics.

re: valves - no problems

What is your budget?

If you like the SN2 then go for it - how about something from Electrocompaniet or Roksan?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
for that budget you have some nice amps to try - I believe Creek have a £2k + in the making.

Primare?

You could try the Elicit R - very clean sounding transparent amp - plenty of power on tap and superb phono stage for your RP3.

I will be interested to hear how you get on with whatever amps you try ! Keep us posted!

spockfish said:
Hi,

Now that I have my new speakers properly burnt in (they are *awesome*) the next challenge is going to be a new amp.

My Brio-R is performing outstanding, but it's also clear that the PMC's will do better with more juice. Now, before you think, why didn't he thought of this before buying new speakers? Well, I did, but I need to do this in steps (budget you know), and finding my new speakers took me 2 years, so I suspect for this new amp it will take some time as well :)

On my list are at least 3 amps: a Rega Elicit-R as I thoroughly enjoy my Brio-R, a Naim SuperNait 2 and a Naim XS 2. The Naim's are there because I listened to a SuperNait 2 at my dealer (connected to the PMC's of course) and I was extremely impressed. So the Naim is new for me, but it's on the list.

Regards,

Heard the 23s with Rega Elicit-R and, on a separate occasion, a Yamaha receiver. So maybe look at Yams flagship two-channel amp.

Naim and PMC are a match made in heaven, as is Leema and Arcam... add Creek into the equation, too.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
PP you liked the Elicit R with PMC when you heard one.

My mate has just got an Elicit R - I still think its a superb amp - he is happy as a pig in **** with his! He is running Totem Arros - yes omg does it sound good or what!

The Yam is well worth a listen i reckon.

I'd have to say that if £2700 'ish is your budget and you like the Naim sound then go get the Supernait 2.

There are, of course, amps that are as good but how they are going to sound to you personally is the problem, as is getting to actually audition some of the more exotic ones.

Although a lot cheaper the Creek Destiny 2 / PMC Twenty 23 combo I have heard was excellent.

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
How would the MF M6i or the new M6Si fair with the PMC 23's ?

I briefly heard the 23's a few days ago with a Naim Uniti 2. i'm going back for a proper listen next week.

XS2 and Elicit-R are in the frame at the moment, but I'm tempted by the MF

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
When i wanted to upgrad the Brio R my first amp on the list was the Elicit R, and for me was a desapointment, it has NOTHING to do from the Brio R sounding! But the new Elex DO, i've demo it on my Rega Dealer with RS3 side by side with the Brio R and sound very close but with more power!

The Elicit R might turn out to be a good match for your PMC, weren't for my Dyns.

Add to your list one hybrid amp, as class D isn't for you, is not for me too, demo if you can UR Primo, Phatos Classic One or Peachtree Nova 220SE.

The Brio R has a valve design/base circuitry as Terry Batman was inspired by reading a pile of old valve circuits magazine, you never know...

Al ears said:
Don't know how much you want to spend but I'd be saving my pennies and looking for a second-hand or ex-demo Bryston integrated to drive those babies. Designed to work well together.
I agree with Al. Bryston is the obvious choice for an integrated. I have heard Naim with PMC too, but that was a near top of the range pre + power with Fact .8 so not really comparable.

nopiano said:
Al ears said:
Don't know how much you want to spend but I'd be saving my pennies and looking for a second-hand or ex-demo Bryston integrated to drive those babies. Designed to work well together.
I agree with Al. Bryston is the obvious choice for an integrated. I have heard Naim with PMC too, but that was a near top of the range pre + power with Fact .8 so not really comparable.

Just because PMC are the UK distributors of Bryston doesn't necessarily mean they'll work well together. Take Naim and Focal as one example and Marantz and Mordaunt Short as another. Not saying for one they won't work, but I wouldn't take it as a given.

stevebrock said:
PP you liked the Elicit R with PMC when you heard one.

My mate has just got an Elicit R - I still think its a superb amp - he is happy as a pig in **** with his! He is running Totem Arros - yes omg does it sound good or what!

The Yam is well worth a listen i reckon.

Yeah, I can imagine Totem and Rega working well together. Still recommend those little Arros with the right amplification. Your Icon and Arros sounds like a tantalising prospect.

plastic penguin said:
nopiano said:
Al ears said:

Just because PMC are the UK distributors of Bryston doesn't necessarily mean they'll work well together. Take Naim and Focal as one example and Marantz and Mordaunt Short as another. Not saying for one they won't work, but I wouldn't take it as a given.

I would because they do, (bought to you by personal opinions r' us)
regular_smile.gif

plastic penguin said:
nopiano said:
Al ears said:

I completely agree, PP. Naim and Focal together is a particular dislike, which I've mostly managed to avoid, but then I don't like Naim's own speakers much either.

However, in this case I have heard all four of the original PMC twenty series at differing venues using Brystons, and each sounded pretty spot on. They aren't totally my cup of tea, though I could probably be happy with them with careful setup. My faves are actually the smallest, the 21s.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Add to your list one hybrid amp, as class D isn't for you, is not for me too, demo if you can UR Primo, Phatos Classic One or Peachtree Nova 220SE.

Don't want to be picky, Outlaw, but the Peachtree, lovely as it sounds, has a class D power amp section...

Some fine amps you suggest there, nonetheless...

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure how it is in the UK, but at least in NL the stuff from Bryston is 'rather expensive', to put it mildly. On top of that not that many dealers as well.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
spockfish said:
Hi,

Regards,

You could try the Abrahamsen v 2.0 integrated amp for the bargain price of 5400 NOK ( £520 ), it will drive almost any speaker and last a lifetime because of the fantastic design and build quality .

They are designed in Norway by Per Abrahamsen who was one of the founders of Electrocompaniet , they are built in a factory in Sweden .

It is very similar to the Electrocompaniet ECI 3 integated but it is £ 1500 cheaper *shok* . It would be a bit of a gamble for you but the potential reward is enormous *biggrin*

Contact Abrahamsen Audio for details .

http://www.store.abrahamsenaudio.no/

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
quote=DocG]

Hi-FiOutlaw said:

Don't want to be picky, Outlaw, but the Peachtree, lovely as it sounds, has a class D power amp section...

Some fine amps you suggest there, nonetheless...

[/quote]

Yes it does! I stand correct.

But it has a assync USB DAC fit in 220 wpc, is one box solution for 2000€.

http://www.hifi.nl/products/Stereo-versterker/9915/Peachtree-220SE.html

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Rotel RB-1582 MK II (POWER AMP) & Rotel RC-1570 (PRE AMP+DAC)

Are very good option in a resaonable price .

http://www.rotel.com/UK/Products/index.htm?cat=41

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts