New amp for my ATCs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Mr. Iceman

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi visionary

I've heard the M6i amplifier with SCM40 monitors. The M6i works perfectly well with SCM40 monitors however at a similar price ATC's own SIA2-150 MK2 integrated or the CA2/P1 combination offer even better resolution and grip over SCM40 monitors whereas the M6i sounds masked and overall somewhat flat and loose.

The ATC amplifiers with their low distortion, class A bias (up to 2/3 output), high current, voltage and importantly damping factor will grip, energize and keep your SCM40 monitors in check just nicely.

Alternatively Naim's NAC 202/NAP 200, Accuphase E-250 and Densen Audio Technologies B-130 Plus, B-150 Plus and B-200 Plus/B-320 Plus also work well with SCM40 monitors. I recently also used Densen's B-175 Plus/B-420 XS with SCM40 monitors and found this combination to work a treat.

Btw, Naim's superb new SuperUniti is also worth serious consideration. The SuperUniti will offer higher quality of digital to analogue conversion and even greater quality of amplification for your SCM40 monitors.

Lastly, if you're also happy to consider used/discontinued amplification then i'll also highly recommend Krell's KAV-400xi and ATC's SIA2-150 MK1 integrated amplifiers.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Rick, between SIA 2-150 Mk2 and CA2/P1 - which would you choose and why? They have similar spec (thereabout), and cost roughly the same, give or take. What would pre/power give that integrated won't have? Any difference in basic sound characteristics between the two?

As a step up from the above, which pre-amp do you recommend with SCM50SL AT (and I hope I'm not hijacking the thread
smiley-innocent.gif
)?

Mr. Iceman said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi visionary

I've heard the M6i amplifier with SCM40 monitors. The M6i works perfectly well with SCM40 monitors however at a similar price ATC's own SIA2-150 MK2 integrated or the CA2/P1 combination offer even better resolution and grip over SCM40 monitors whereas the M6i sounds masked and overall somewhat flat and loose.

The ATC amplifiers with their low distortion, class A bias (up to 2/3 output), high current, voltage and importantly damping factor will grip, energize and keep your SCM40 monitors in check just nicely.

Alternatively Naim's NAC 202/NAP 200, Accuphase E-250 and Densen Audio Technologies B-130 Plus, B-150 Plus and B-200 Plus/B-320 Plus also work well with SCM40 monitors. I recently also used Densen's B-175 Plus/B-420 XS with SCM40 monitors and found this combination to work a treat.

Btw, Naim's superb new SuperUniti is also worth serious consideration. The SuperUniti will offer higher quality of digital to analogue conversion and even greater quality of amplification for your SCM40 monitors.

Lastly, if you're also happy to consider used/discontinued amplification then i'll also highly recommend Krell's KAV-400xi and ATC's SIA2-150 MK1 integrated amplifiers.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Rick, between SIA 2-150 Mk2 and CA2/P1 - which would you choose and why? They have similar spec (thereabout), and cost roughly the same, give or take. What would pre/power give that integrated won't have? Any difference in basic sound characteristics between the two?

As a step up from the above, which pre-amp do you recommend with SCM50SL AT (and I hope I'm not hijacking the thread
smiley-innocent.gif
)?

Hi Mr. Iceman

If ATC active monitors are the eventual goal and given the relatively modest price difference between the SIA2-150 MK2 and CA2/P1 then as an initial purchase the CA2/P1 makes more sense. Later on a P1 can be subsituated and the CA2 retained to drive ATC active monitors. Even though the SIA2-150 MK2 can be used a pre amplifier to drive ATC active monitors however there will be a waste involved because the power amp section of the SIA2-150 MK2 is not being utilized.

Anyway as for performance there is little to choose between the SIA2-150 MK2 and CA2/P1. The CA2/P1 (partly because of the P1's superior power supply) sounds a liitle tighter, faster and more direct whereas in comparision the SIA2-150 MK2 has a fuller presentation.

I've heard pre amplifiers from £200 to £30k with ATC active monitors. The only pre amplifier which provides the high resolution whilst at the same time maintaining rock solid grip and driving ATC active monitors tightly is their own reference SCA2.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Mr. Iceman

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
To be honest Rick, and put very simply, I am looking for the "final solution". Over the decades, I've amassed quite a few boxes forming part of quite a few systems. Nothing exotic, just some best buys, 4-5 star products and some vintage gear as well. My most expensive purchase cost me some £600. Talk about Sansuis of the yore (AU 719, AU 555a, TU666, A80, T80), Diamonds 3 and 9.1 Anniversary, Celestion Sl6Si, B&W 685, Denon DM 37, Marantz 603, NAS, couple of TTs, some AV gear etc, etc, you've got the idea... Last year I got Squeezebox Touch driving Focals CMS 40 through Beresford Caiman and I really like this setup very much.

I am now thinking about selling much of what I have and moving on. Don't get me wrong, I am not in search of the perfect sound - been around long enough to know there's no such thing. I like the sound that any of my combos can produce - I am fascinated by the difference in sound that different systems can make and can appreciate them all to similar extent. Ok, I am not very keen on overly bright sound: M-CR603 with B&W 685 sounds too much "in yer face" when compared with Celestions or Diamond 9.1 (with Nordost Wyrewizard Dreamcaster cables).

I have reached the stage when I just don't want to keep all that stuff for much longer. And when it's gone, I would like to replace it with something like active ATCs, a worthy preamp and sources. I have been attracted to the 50s for some time now but I have not yet heard any ATCs and that sits pretty high on my to-do list.

What other active speakers and preamps up to around £10k can you recommend (of course I wouldn't mind spending less than that)? I don't mind second hand.
How about SCM20SL AT? At nearly half-price, what would I lose, apart from volume and reduced low end, when compared to 50s?

Hi Mr. Iceman

Firstly i am sorry for my late reply as i have been very busy with work.

As good as SCM20ASL's are however SCM50ASL's are in a different league. A cabinet with two and a half times the volume, a three way design featuring ATC's stunning state of the art Studio Super Soft Dome mid range unit and dedicated 9" ultra low distortion SLMT LF unit, tri amplified with greater quantity of power all add up to SCM50ASL's offering significant improvement in performance over SCM20ASL's in practically every area below HF. Much of the SCM50ASL's performance advantage over SCM20ASL's comes from the Super Soft Dome mid range unit being actively driven. All things being equal there is no going back to SCM20ASL's after hearing SCM50ASL's.

In my experience the quality of the associated pre amplifier used with ATC active monitors is of the utmost importance. As i've already mentioned earlier on in the thread in this respect so far only the pre amp which i've used with ATC active monitors over the years which not only locks firmly to the on board amplification but also provides their active monitors with the necessary resolution to bring the performance on par with the quality of their drive units and on board electronics is their own reference SCA2.

Anyway a CA2/SCM20ASL's or SCA2/SCM20ASL's are still excellent combinations. If your budget allows then i feel with a SCA2/SCM50ASL pairing with (amongst its other qualities) high resolution and bandwidth you'll be on the right track for a simple and the 'final solution'. Fwiw, i use a SCA2 - SCM100ASL Professional monitors - C6/SCM0.1/15 combination and after nearly three decades (apart from SCM150ASL's) i have to hear better.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Mr. Iceman

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
Hello Rick,

As ever, your detailed and helpful response is much appreciated. I will contact you directly should I decide to go down the ATC route.

Take care,
Mr. I.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts