• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

New amp for my ATCs

visionary

Well-known member
Apr 4, 2008
77
0
18,540
I would be interested to hear opinions from anyone who's experienced Leema Tucana or Musical Fidelity M6i with ATC SCM40s.

Other suggestions of suitable contenders welcome. For aesthetic reasons amps that are black will have better WAF :)

Input Sonos ZP90 via Dacmagic, roomsize 5m square (ish). Varied musical taste from Beethoven to Zeppelin

Thanks
 

Frank Harvey

Well-known member
Jun 27, 2008
567
0
18,890
Are you sticking with an integrated amplifier? Are pre/power combos an option?

The obvious choice would be ATC's own amplification, which works extremely well with them, especially for their price point.

We will shortly be having the Leema Tucana in, so I can have a play with the combo when that arrives.
 

visionary

Well-known member
Apr 4, 2008
77
0
18,540
Thanks for the reply, David.

Doesn't have to be integrated. I agree the ATC pre-power would be logical but I believe it/they only comes in silver

At the end of the day, if it's the best solution, the WAF issue may have to be ignored ;)

Will look forward to your further conclusions
 

iceman16

Well-known member
Feb 8, 2011
89
10
18,545
visionary said:
I would be interested to hear opinions from anyone who's experienced Leema Tucana or Musical Fidelity M6i with ATC SCM40s.

Other suggestions of suitable contenders welcome. For aesthetic reasons amps that are black will have better WAF :)

Input Sonos ZP90 via Dacmagic, roomsize 5m square (ish). Varied musical taste from Beethoven to Zeppelin

Thanks
Have you tried to listen to Naim pre/power(202/200) preferably with hicap? My 40s works well with Naims,but my advice is don't go lower than the 200 for better results.IMHO.:)
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Are you sticking with an integrated amplifier? Are pre/power combos an option?

The obvious choice would be ATC's own amplification, which works extremely well with them, especially for their price point.

We will shortly be having the Leema Tucana in, so I can have a play with the combo when that arrives.
YOU know it will only end in tears . :)
 

Frank Harvey

Well-known member
Jun 27, 2008
567
0
18,890
visionary said:
Thanks for the reply, David.

Doesn't have to be integrated. I agree the ATC pre-power would be logical but I believe it/they only comes in silver

At the end of the day, if it's the best solution, the WAF issue may have to be ignored ;)

Will look forward to your further conclusions
Unfortunately yes, only silver.

I have a hard time recommending much over their own amplification. But, of the rest, something like a Bryston BP6/3Bsst2 or 4Bsst2, Cyrus DACxp+/Mono X200 or X300's, or Leema Pyxis/Hydra II. I know they're all pre/powers, but the SCM40's revel in power - give them more and they'll lap it up. If you know the prices of those combinations, you'll see why the ATC is what I'd usually recommend!

To get the most from what the SCM40's have to offer, I wouldn't say there are many integrated amplifiers around to take full advantage. I can understand the MF working well with them as they'll bring a bit of warmth to the proceedings and are a little smoother than most, and if it's anything like the older A5, it'll have bags of power (not that the A5 did much with it, unfortunately), so the SCM40's shouldnt be left wanting.

Whatever you go for, you should find it a huge step up over your Technics.
 

MUSICRAFT

Well-known member
visionary said:
I would be interested to hear opinions from anyone who's experienced Leema Tucana or Musical Fidelity M6i with ATC SCM40s.

Other suggestions of suitable contenders welcome. For aesthetic reasons amps that are black will have better WAF :)

Input Sonos ZP90 via Dacmagic, roomsize 5m square (ish). Varied musical taste from Beethoven to Zeppelin

Thanks
Hi visionary

I've heard the M6i amplifier with SCM40 monitors. The M6i works perfectly well with SCM40 monitors however at a similar price ATC's own SIA2-150 MK2 integrated or the CA2/P1 combination offer even better resolution and grip over SCM40 monitors whereas the M6i sounds masked and overall somewhat flat and loose.

The ATC amplifiers with their low distortion, class A bias (up to 2/3 output), high current, voltage and importantly damping factor will grip, energize and keep your SCM40 monitors in check just nicely.

Alternatively Naim's NAC 202/NAP 200, Accuphase E-250 and Densen Audio Technologies B-130 Plus, B-150 Plus and B-200 Plus/B-320 Plus also work well with SCM40 monitors. I recently also used Densen's B-175 Plus/B-420 XS with SCM40 monitors and found this combination to work a treat.

Btw, Naim's superb new SuperUniti is also worth serious consideration. The SuperUniti will offer higher quality of digital to analogue conversion and even greater quality of amplification for your SCM40 monitors.

Lastly, if you're also happy to consider used/discontinued amplification then i'll also highly recommend Krell's KAV-400xi and ATC's SIA2-150 MK1 integrated amplifiers.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
 

BenLaw

Well-known member
Nov 21, 2010
475
7
18,895
Hi visionary. Whilst unfortunately I haven't heard the amps you specifically asked about, what I would add is that IME the ATCs are so neutral and honest that you will hear your electronics (and the recording) clearly. IMO this will be the usual reason why people don't like ATCs, that in fact they don't like the sound of their electronics.

If you're in no rush, therefore, demoing a wide range of amps (with the 40s) will pay off as you will get a clear sense of what you're listening to and should find something that suits you. For me, that's Primare but you've had plenty of other good suggestions. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about watts (especially as they are a pretty stable load), although the better quality the amp, the better they will sound. The good thing about the 40s is you will get a clear picture of each step up.
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
8
0
BenLaw said:
Hi visionary. Whilst unfortunately I haven't heard the amps you specifically asked about, what I would add is that IME the ATCs are so neutral and honest that you will hear your electronics (and the recording) clearly. IMO this will be the usual reason why people don't like ATCs, that in fact they don't like the sound of their electronics.

If you're in no rush, therefore, demoing a wide range of amps (with the 40s) will pay off as you will get a clear sense of what you're listening to and should find something that suits you. For me, that's Primare but you've had plenty of other good suggestions. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about watts (especially as they are a pretty stable load), although the better quality the amp, the better they will sound. The good thing about the 40s is you will get a clear picture of each step up.
This I agree with, and (imo) means attention will (at some stage) need to be payed to the source.

You haven't mentioned budget, but just in case it makes it in, I would add the Sugden Masterclass IA-4 (in Graphite) to the list of excellent suggestions.
 

BenLaw

Well-known member
Nov 21, 2010
475
7
18,895
CnoEvil said:
attention will (at some stage) need to be payed to the source.
I agree. I wouldn't argue with upgrading amplification first, but certainly when that is done both speakers and amplification will be a level or two up from source.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
BenLaw said:
Hi visionary. Whilst unfortunately I haven't heard the amps you specifically asked about, what I would add is that IME the ATCs are so neutral and honest that you will hear your electronics (and the recording) clearly. IMO this will be the usual reason why people don't like ATCs, that in fact they don't like the sound of their electronics.

If you're in no rush, therefore, demoing a wide range of amps (with the 40s) will pay off as you will get a clear sense of what you're listening to and should find something that suits you. For me, that's Primare but you've had plenty of other good suggestions. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about watts (especially as they are a pretty stable load), although the better quality the amp, the better they will sound. The good thing about the 40s is you will get a clear picture of each step up.
Are atc introducing a new tweeter too their range ?
 

BenLaw

Well-known member
Nov 21, 2010
475
7
18,895
The new tweeter is a thing of beauty!





It is only for the largest speakers but a smaller driver is due hopefully later this year which should be retro-fittable for existing owners. ATC again standing out from the crowd by not building in obsolescence to their speakers but looking after their existing customers :)
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
BenLaw said:
The new tweeter is a thing of beauty!





It is only for the largest speakers but a smaller driver is due hopefully later this year which should be retro-fittable for existing owners. ATC again standing out from the crowd by not building in obsolescence to their speakers but looking after their existing customers :)
Looks very substantial, would it increase the speakers sensitivity ? :)
 

BenLaw

Well-known member
Nov 21, 2010
475
7
18,895
Wow, the auto-censorship of alleged profanity is teaching me so many new rude words!

Don't know the answer re sensitivity, although if it really can be retro-fitted then it will have to be such that the existing crossover can be maintained (or the existing balance of amplification in actives) so I would guess there'd be no significant change, but I'm no techie.
 

visionary

Well-known member
Apr 4, 2008
77
0
18,540
Thanks for the replies everyone. Plenty to think about there :)

Rick, certainly wouldn't rule out "last year's models" or pre-owned. Plenty to go at there... Audiolab? Quad? more than you can shake a stick at.

Ben/CNO, interesting comments re source. Ben, as you use ZP90 yourself I presume the comment relates to the Dacmagic?

Agreed no rush, just finding dealers who'll allow home audition (not keen on humpiing the 40s around).
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
8
0
visionary said:
Ben/CNO, interesting comments re source. Ben, as you use ZP90 yourself I presume the comment relates to the Dacmagic?
What I've found, is that as a system evolves (in terms of performance), it sheds a light on the weakest link......especially if the upgrade has started from the speaker end.

Speakers that are too much for a given amp, will not sound right; and high performing amp/speakers will suddenly show up deficiencies in the source, that may not have been apparent before. Information lost at the source end, is gone for good.

Your ATC speakers "say it like it is", so you have to be meticulous with system matching (as said by Ben).

It is also my opinion, that as a system heads into ever more highend territory, extra attention needs to be paid to cabling (as noticed by Inter_Voice on the current cable thread).
 

BenLaw

Well-known member
Nov 21, 2010
475
7
18,895
You're right about home demos, 40s are not easy to move! Once was enough for me! So home dem or dealers who sell ATC.

I agree with Cno re source. I do use the zp90 and with no external dac. However, I use this pretty much exclusively to

Stream spotify, ie for listening to new music with which I'm unfamiliar. There is a substantial step up with my CD31, as you would expect. Having said that, I still find the zp90 through the 40s very high quality so I would not feel any need to rush a change if I were you.
 

Macspur

Well-known member
May 3, 2010
77
0
18,540
CnoEvil said:
BenLaw said:
Hi visionary. Whilst unfortunately I haven't heard the amps you specifically asked about, what I would add is that IME the ATCs are so neutral and honest that you will hear your electronics (and the recording) clearly. IMO this will be the usual reason why people don't like ATCs, that in fact they don't like the sound of their electronics.

If you're in no rush, therefore, demoing a wide range of amps (with the 40s) will pay off as you will get a clear sense of what you're listening to and should find something that suits you. For me, that's Primare but you've had plenty of other good suggestions. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about watts (especially as they are a pretty stable load), although the better quality the amp, the better they will sound. The good thing about the 40s is you will get a clear picture of each step up.
This I agree with, and (imo) means attention will (at some stage) need to be payed to the source. You haven't mentioned budget, but just in case it makes it in, I would add the Sugden Masterclass IA-4 (in Graphite) to the list of excellent suggestions.
Personally speaking I didn't like the ATC SCM40-SIA2-150 combo. Plus 1 for the Sugden though... or perhaps MF AMS 35I Cno?

Definitely agree about the source, as I found to my cost, the 40's really showed up my CDX2.

Good luck.
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
8
0
Macspur said:
... or perhaps MF AMS 35I Cno?

Definitely agree about the source, as I found to my cost, the 40's really showed up my CDX2.

Good luck.
..but of course; along with a DS. >)
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
FATS 2828 said:
Looks very substantial, would it increase the speakers sensitivity ? :)
I don't think there would be any change to the speaker's sensitivity.
:) So working on the listening to the electronics thru the neutral speakers theory.

If you have a warm sounding amp and cd you turn the atc's from a neutral speaker into a warm sounding speaker ?
 

hoopsontoast

New member
Oct 1, 2011
12
0
0
The Audiolab 8200MB's go really well with the 7's and 19's so they maybe a good match for 40's as well.

Not sure why you would want a warm amp, maybe class-a? :rofl:
 

MUSICRAFT

Well-known member
FATS 2828 said:
:) So working on the listening to the electronics thru the neutral speakers theory.

If you have a warm sounding amp and cd you turn the atc's from a neutral speaker into a warm sounding speaker ?
Hi FATS 2828

The ATC's will still remain neutral - low distortion, flat and honest designs.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts