New Amp For Kef R700 Speakers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
2 Amps here interest me Musical Fidelity and the Hegel 160

I think id have to draw the line at about £2500 max

dont know prices of the rest but will look

SteveR750

Andrewjvt said:
2 Amps here interest me Musical Fidelity and the Hegel 160

I think id have to draw the line at about £2500 max

dont know prices of the rest but will look

For what it's worth, I listened to the M6si and also the nuvista 800 and the ATC sia250 on the same day, starting off with a Caspian M2 as the reference. The M6si was put away within minutes after the M2, different, but no better, and more expensive. The ATC was better but not worth an additional £1k+ over the M2 that I had. Nuvista was nice, but not worth £8k, and no surprise then that they are running a purchase price trade in deal. Cost to change for me was over £5k which was not attractive.

The trick I missed was to swap out the ProAcs for the ATCs on the same day, which I could have done; but at the time I wasn't considering a speaker change. I therefore cannot compare the ATC electronics to Hegel, though I suspect they would be great together, but bear in mind the Hegel is over a grand cheaper.

matthewpiano

I'd suggest giving the Rega Elicit-R a good listen. Rega/KEF is an excellent combination and the Elicit-R is an outstanding amp which really grips and controls even challenging speakers like B&W CM10s. With your KEFs it should sound divine. The other option I'd be tempted to hear would be the Creek Evolution 100A, but also a Sugden A21a.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Covenanter said:
I don't use the bungs either.

I also threw out my AV system and just use the R700s. You don't get subsonic bass of course but as they deliver lots of bass anyway I don't find I'm missing it.

For my type of music (classical) the Marantz kit is super with the R700s. The SA8005 is a great source for CD, SACD and for my Blu-Ray player and the PM8005 drives the speakers effortlessly, and to my ears neutrally, to volumes louder than I require. I actually can't imagine changing my system until something breaks.

I hope that is useful.

Chris

Do you miss surround sound?

Yes and no! I know it's not there and surround sound does add an extra dimension to some films. However the R700s are so good that you get great sound anyway so it's not a big loss. (I watched Saving Private Ryan last weekend and it was brilliant and the room was bouncing.)

I guess it depends how important film is to you. I watch maybe 1 or 2 films a week so it's not my biggest issue.

Chris

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Covenanter said:
Andrewjvt said:
Covenanter said:
I don't use the bungs either.

I also threw out my AV system and just use the R700s. You don't get subsonic bass of course but as they deliver lots of bass anyway I don't find I'm missing it.

For my type of music (classical) the Marantz kit is super with the R700s. The SA8005 is a great source for CD, SACD and for my Blu-Ray player and the PM8005 drives the speakers effortlessly, and to my ears neutrally, to volumes louder than I require. I actually can't imagine changing my system until something breaks.

I hope that is useful.

Chris

Do you miss surround sound?

Yes and no! I know it's not there and surround sound does add an extra dimension to some films. However the R700s are so good that you get great sound anyway so it's not a big loss. (I watched Saving Private Ryan last weekend and it was brilliant and the room was bouncing.)

I guess it depends how important film is to you. I watch maybe 1 or 2 films a week so it's not my biggest issue.

Chris

I think thats exactly how id feel - Godzilla will still roar and the music in a movie will be great

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I'd suggest giving the Rega Elicit-R a good listen. Rega/KEF is an excellent combination and the Elicit-R is an outstanding amp which really grips and controls even challenging speakers like B&W CM10s. With your KEFs it should sound divine. The other option I'd be tempted to hear would be the Creek Evolution 100A, but also a Sugden A21a.

I am sure my new amp must be at least 150 plus watts per channel

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I would go second hand and get something REALLY classy with your cash.....

AUDIO RESEARCH D-240 Power Amplifier - Currently on the bay £750

AUDIO RESEARCH LS-22 Pre Amplifier - Currently on the bay for £1595

Audio Research can still service all of their products so if anything goes wrong you can still get it fixed. Hmmmmm..... pre-amp valves.....

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
matthewpiano said:

You do not need 150W per channel unless you are trying to blow your windows out! My Marantz is rated at 70W per channel and my room is a 1000 sq ft loft apartment with double height ceilings. I have never turned the amp up above 12 o'clock and at that the room shakes. I have not heard any evidence of clipping or other distortion.

Find a dealer who will let you listen to a range of amplifiers and buy the one that sounds best irrespective of brand, price or specification. If possible get him/her to switch the source cables without telling you what he/she has done and then judge which is best. Then you won't be influenced as we all are by extraneous perceptions.

Chris

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:

My advice is not to get hung up on rated power, which can be misleading. It's the quality of the power supply and its ability to cope when impedance halves, that really counts.

I have a Class A amp rated at 35W, which into speakers with a sensitivity of 90 dB and impedance that drops to 3.2 Ohms, goes loud enough to damage hearing in a large room. This is because it doubles its power into 4 Ohms and again into 2 Ohms.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As Cno has mentioned, rated power isn't the issue - the amplifier needs to control the speakers properly, and provide enough headroom for your own requirements - whether that amplifier is 20wpc or 200wpc. Chances are it'll be the 200wpc one, but the point is you shouldn't ignore powerhouses because you think they're "excessive". A powerhouse with control and finesse is a keeper.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi David

Ive looked at the amps that youve recommended and ignoring advice given regarding built in dacs, ill need to get one that has one in otherwise ill be saving for ages. I can always buy a seperate dac in the future. The musical fidelity has one in and has loads of power. Id like to listen to it and a naim supernait 2 looks awesome even if it aint got a dac. Sorry for bad spelling or grammar but im using a samsung phone and my thumbs are to fat.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi Steve

You have already been very helpful but could i ask what it was regarding the musical fidelity amp that caused you to eliminate it from the audition?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi Steve

You have already been very helpful but could i ask what it was regarding the musical fidelity amp that caused you to eliminate it from the audition?

Matt77

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi there andrewjvt . I would try and audition a hegel H160 . Got plenty of power weight/ bass and it is so neutral/ clean sounding also worth trying the ATC SIA 2 150 depends on budget though . Naim amps are worth considering as well :)

SteveR750

Andrewjvt said:
Hi matt

Thanks. I will look at the hegel 160. Everyone is talking about how this amp punches above its weight.

Andrew, I listened to the MF amp and the ATC SIA250 on the same day / room / speakers (ProAc D20R) I just thought the ATC sounded more exciting. The MF amp was smooth, but not as detailed and lacking in excitement. I guess you would call it polite, probably because it has a slightly floppy uncontrolled bass. I don't know what the damping factor spec, or output impedance is for the MF, but the Hegel is well specced in that respect, which translates as a taughter and faster bass. You might find initially it even sounds bass light, a bit like a good pair of flat monitor headphones. After a while you'll realise it's all there, and easy to follow bass lines.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi Steve

I have listened to the hegel 160 but not with my speakers. Heres my review. Please let me know if you agree or not.

It was brand new out the box and cold. The dac was very good and dont think id want or really need another.

The sound compared to the roksan kandy: much larger than the kandy in every way deeper bass more forward midrange and a louder top end. Very clear. Was strange at first because its a different sound but i can only describe the sound as if you are at a large festival and the sound you hear from the PA but in a very clean clear way.

I have decided to buy one and put down a deposit so will have to save up like crazy. My only concern and this is where you can re-assure me is on the monitor audio silver 8 speakers that was connected sounded slightly distorted in the bass department at first but then seemed to sort itself out. Kind of like over driving speakers wirh too much power. But after a while it seemed to get better so was wondering if you at first experienced the same.

SteveR750

Hi Andrew, I've not heard the monitor audio speakers so cannot really comment. What I can tell you is my son is here this weekend, and played some dubstep at night club levels. Neither the amp nor the ATC's seemed in the slightest bit stressed. No hint of bass distortion, just clear chest thumping slam, if you like that kind of thing!

I think your KEFs will sound fantastic connected to it.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Yes i think they will too. It may have been the amp brand new out the box and cold.
Or
Or could have been the song as it was only on the cold play cd but yes i am getting one and when im closer to paying it off in a few months ill demo at home with my kefs. I may go back in a few weeks to hear it again with some atcs as the dealer dont sell kefs. The monitor audio silver 8s are not as good as my r700s in my opinion.
Cant wait to hear my speakers running off hegel electronics.
Thanks for the advice
Regards

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts