New amp and speakers, £6,000 budget

juxter1

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
OK, so I now discover that I can use a Linn DS-i as a source for streaming. I am not overkeen on the Linn amplification so I am looking at either a pre/power amp or an integrated to match, along with that a really nice pair of floorstanding speakes that can be put close to a wall.

Music tastes run from classical to prog rock and everything in between (No drum and bass fan though). Room is roughly 14 feet square with a sloped ceilling at one end and is used as a bedroom, speakers to be placed either side of the bed,listening chair at the other end of the room.

Any help on what I sould audition with a budget of £6,000 please?

Thanks

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi juxter1

Does your Linn DS have a volume control?

Id look at a pair of Active speakers if it does. Or even still, spend £1k on a pre amp, and £5k on some new or used Active speakers.

Chees
Matt

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Some amps to consider:

Musical Fidelity M6 series - (M6i; M6 500i; PRE/PRX)
Electrocompaniet - ECI 5 Mk 11
Lavardin - IS Reference
Sugden - Masterclass IA-4**
Graaf - GM 50
Pathos - Logos
ATC - SIA 2-150

Some Speakers:

Kef Ref - 201/2; 203/2**
Proac - Studio 140; D18; D28
PMC - FB1i
Spendor - A6; A9
Dynaudio - Contour S1.4
Sonus Faber - Cremona Auditor M**
Martin Logan - Vantage

** My favorites.

With your budget, have fun and do a lot of demos/home trials.

From experience, Linn DS + Class A + Kef Ref, is hard to beat.

Good hunting

Cno

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
MattSPL said:
Does your Linn DS have a volume control?

Acording to the Linn spec its all in one box but has a pre-out via RCA.

Seen some Adam Tensor Gamma's on the pre-owned market for 6k. :rofl:

juxter1 said:
OK, so I now discover that I can use a Linn DS-i as a source for streaming. I am not overkeen on the Linn amplification so I am looking at either a pre/power amp or an integrated to match, along with that a really nice pair of floorstanding speakes that can be put close to a wall.

Music tastes run from classical to prog rock and everything in between (No drum and bass fan though). Room is roughly 14 feet square with a sloped ceilling at one end and is used as a bedroom, speakers to be placed either side of the bed,listening chair at the other end of the room.

Any help on what I sould audition with a budget of £6,000 please?

Thanks

Hi juxter1

Are you already using a system? If so, what components are you using?

Is there anything in particular you would like the amplifier to have (such as remote, headphone socket, etc.)?

Your general listening level is?

If feasible would you also condsider using active speakers?

What kind of presentation are you looking for the system to reproduce?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

T

the record spot

Some good actives will get you well on the way. And for somewhat less than the budget you've stated I'd suggest.

juxter1

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I had thought of active speakers but I really want floorstanding speakers and searching on google didn't bring up any in my price range. At least not real hifi speakers, quite a few speakers that looked like they came from a rock venue but not what I could live with.

The Sonus Faber speakers mentioned are a bit small, floorstanders are my preference.

As to the pre amp of the Linn being used, I am not sure I am happy with the Linn amplification, it's a bit too restrained which is why I considered using the line out of the DS-i into another amp.

As far as I know, the Linn has a volume control. I don't really use headphones much as I have sensitive skin that comes out in a rash when I use headphones, I do have a pair of Grado SR80i's but I can only use them for around half an hour before both start itching like mad.

I listen to average volume levels, but do like to turn it up a bit when my foot starts tapping. Not enough to blow the walls out though.

juxter1

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I would prefer a fuller sound, more zest and timing that the Linn seems to lack. Bass is important but as I had a hearing test I found out that the extremes are muffled (old age I know).

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I am very familiar with the sound of Linn and know what you mean.

All the amps and speakers in my list were chosen for their musicality and the ability to convey emotion. IMO. This is especially so if matched to give the best synergy, and possible suggestions would be:

Sugden Masterclass + Kef Ref

ATC/Electrocompaniet + Proac

MF M6 + Spendor

Lavardin/Graaf/Pathos + PMC

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts