New amp and dac ordered just need a source

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
HI Guys,

Need a little help, i will be receiving my new amp a Naim nait5i and Rega dac this week, to go with my Kef Q5se 's i want to stream music from my NAS drive, are the only options a sonos zp90 and a squeezebox touch? (i have a ipad for the control interface)

I will be using the digital out on the streamer i decide on, straight to the new Rega dac.

I like the easy set up of the sonos with my nas drive, but the squezebox has 24bit capabilities.

Is there a middle ground out there that im missing?

Thanks

TIm

A

Anonymous

HI, yes i did, the main dac i compared it against was the audiolab 8200cd, and ive heard the dac magic before in the past,

I very nearly brought the 8200 cd and amp but liked the extra little weight the naim /rega combo offered.

The amp has been tested against loads over the last few months before deciding on it.

Just need a digital streamer, i get the feeling that he sonos will offer a better digital signal than the squeezebox, as it is a pure streamer no screens or other things interfearing with the output, reading lots of posts simple signal paths and good power supplies make a difference.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Wise choice, a damn fine DAC
emotion-21.gif

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Tried it with a Rotel RDC-991 with very interesting results and streaming FLAC files which bettered the standard Rotel DAC (and that's saying something). Still early days yet but mightily impressed

A

Anonymous

If this question was aimed at me, my nas drive is new, so all my cd's are yet to be ripped.

But i guess either flac or wav.

Tim

A

Anonymous

mitch65:Tried it with a Rotel RDC-991 with very interesting results and streaming FLAC files which better the standard Rotel DAC (and that's saying something). Still early days yet but mightily impressed

Are you using a computer to stream the flacs?

Tim

A

Anonymous

So does anyone have any advice on streamers as per original post?

I get the feeling im missing somthing just looking at the Sonos and the squeezebox

Thanks

Tim

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Bit of a different view, but don't forget the Mac Mini.

Can stream to up to 6 Apple Airport Express / Apple TV devices (£99ea), has a remote control (with a remote app available for the iphone/itouch if you have one), and has optical out for connection to your DAC.

You do need a TV/Monitor to plug it into, however, and would need to use Apple Lossless for a lossless file format.

But it is another option... and be picked up 2nd hand for around £250.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
tim20:
mitch65:Tried it with a Rotel RDC-991 with very interesting results and streaming FLAC files which better the standard Rotel DAC (and that's saying something). Still early days yet but mightily impressed

Tim

No I am using a streamer
emotion-16.gif
(sorry but I have to remain tight-lipped at the moment). I've had the Sonos and got good results but not knowing the bit-rates of incoming files and Internet radio stations became annoying after a while but I imagine with a decent DAC it could sing rather nicely. I am sure that other options will become available this year so it just depends how long you can wait
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

mitch65:tim20:

Tim

No I am using a streamer
emotion-16.gif
(sorry but I have to remain tight-lipped at the moment). I've had the Sonos and got good results but not knowing the bit-rates of incoming files and Internet radio stations became annoying after a while but I imagine with a decent DAC it could sing rather nicely. I am sure that other options will become available this year so it just depends how long you can wait
emotion-1.gif

fair enough,

Do you think the Sonos through the rega dac will be good? will it be better than say a Squeezebox through the rega dac.?

Thanks

Tim

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts