New all-digital A/V preamp/processor NuForce AVP-18

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Anyone interested or got feedback on the brand new all-digital A/V preamp/processor from NuForce? From a purist standpoint I must say it looks pretty interesting (despite the fact I'm a Audyssey/Denon fanboy). Scaled-down like few other processors around right now. Refreshing simplicity? At least for those with a minimal amount of digital sources and a desire for less features and bling-bling.

NuForce AVP-18

avp180.jpg

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for posting, wasn't aware of this. I like the minimalist styling. Absence of multi channel inputs seems a bit of an oversight though. Seems a good price, although I'm guessing it may be tricky to source in the UK. Might compete with the Audiolab 8200AP on styling and price here.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking of the Audiolab too, although the NuForce AVP-18 is an all-digital unit, hence there are no analogue multi-channel inputs etc. Personally I wouldn't care for that.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Ah yes, I missed the 'all digital' part :doh: :grin:

Not good for those with a high end BDP doing the decoding and with good DACs but a principled decision at least. Nuforce has much greater processing and EQ than the audiolab does though, the absence of which rather puts me off the latter.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
That's true. One would be stuck with the NuForce DAC's. I actually have no personal experience of NuForce DAC's but have heard only good feedback on them. You mention the NuForce have much greater processing and EQ than the Audiolab, and that sounds pretty promising. I do wonder what the automatic calibration in the AVP-18 is like though, as there is no detailed info about it. Basically the only thing NuForce says is: "...activate the automatic multi-channel room correction software to adjust for the inevitable acoustic anomalies typical of most rooms. "

:?

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I've been thinking about moving over to the pre/pro route for some time. I've actually considered starting with a NuForce multichannel poweramp (MCH-300C7 for example) and now when this new preamp/processor of the same brand appeared it seemed like an interesting combination. Been keeping an eye on Marantz AV8801 prior (cause of Audyssey primarily) but I'm willing to at least try an alternate route. Plus the AVP-18 is appealingly scaled-down whereas the AV8801 has so many bells and whistles I'll never ever use (plus, it's bulky).

I take it you still happy with your Primare poweramp? Those are real beauties!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I'd assumed you'd be thinking marantz as an alternative to denon. Onkyo is another option if audyssey is important. I recall from your pics that component size is an important issue so can see the sense in the nuforce or audiolab. Can you source the nuforce and do you know the price? Seems to be one slightly odd distributor in the uk but I seem to recall you're not in the uk?

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tip! I've actually tested a couple A/V receivers recently from Onkyo (5009 + 5010) but sadly wasn't impressed with their musicality, and I fear their pre/pro might not do the trick for me either. For multichannel movies they were great though. Yeah, component size is definitely an issue for me, as I have very limited space for the electronics themselves (inside a dedicated a/v cabinet), so naturally when going from one integrated unit to a pre/pro the problem presents itself...

:O

Oh, perhaps NuForce products aren't that widespread in the UK? I'm located in Sweden, the NuForce brand is fairly big here. Supposedly the AVP-18 it's around MSRP $1100 (or 1000 EURO in my case) which is actually lower than the Audiolab in case I'm not mistaken. Those two would be an interesting comparison though, the NuForce being an all-digitally dedicated unit does make it more interesting.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm not aware of anywhere here that sells nuforce. The distributor doesn't distribute any other mainstream av brands and on my phone I can't locate a dealer using their website.

That's a reasonable price on the nuforce given its US price. I'd anticipated a big increase if it came to the uk, putting it on a par with the audiolab. If you have no use for analogue ins then the price and EQ options would make nuforce a winner for me. Audiolab has no room correction which is a nice purist idea but I would at least like to have the option and in practice almost certainly would use it.

I forgot to answer about the primare. It does a great job and pushes my ATCs effortlessly to levels beyond what I would ever need. I can't think I would ever need to replace it unless I either downsized the system or went active and no longer needed power amplification.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Agree with you about at least having the option of an onboard room correction. Basically the AVP-18 seems nothing more than a HD-decoder with DAC, EQ and volume control. Talk about basic!

Read a bunch of fascinating and very favorable reviews today on other similarly scaled-down back-to-basic processors (Outlaw Model 975 / Emotiva UMC-200 / Audiolab 8200AP) - all cost effective units that don't cram excessive tuff beneath their shell disrupting the signal path but concentrate fully on pure audio quality and this NuForce model one seems more and more promising for a test-run. Too bad it's not fully balanced with XLR outputs though.

I bet your Primare amp is an enthusiastic listen. Apart from the excellently powerful NuForce MCH amps I been looking at Primare A30.7 aswell, which is also a beautiful piece of kit.

andrew_cawood

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
RickyDeg said:
Yeah, component size is definitely an issue for me, as I have very limited space for the electronics themselves (inside a dedicated a/v cabinet), so naturally when going from one integrated unit to a pre/pro the problem presents itself...

Component size certainly isn't a problem for the AVP-18, according to the website:

Dimensions:58.7 x 45.0 x 17.1 mm

andrew_cawood

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
RickyDeg said:
Yeah, component size is definitely an issue for me, as I have very limited space for the electronics themselves (inside a dedicated a/v cabinet), so naturally when going from one integrated unit to a pre/pro the problem presents itself...

Component size certainly isn't a problem for the AVP-18, according to the website:

Dimensions:58.7 x 45.0 x 17.1 mm

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
HA! Yeah, I noticed the compactness of the unit too Andrew. Basically like a Blu-ray player.

Although I suspect a typo in those suggested dimensions :?

andrew_cawood

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
RickyDeg said:
Although I suspect a typo in those suggested dimensions :?

It's hard to imagine a processor the size of a packet of cigarettes!

Even if they mean cms there's something not right - 58.7cms wide would be a challenge for most AV racks.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
RickyDeg said:
Agree with you about at least having the option of an onboard room correction. Basically the AVP-18 seems nothing more than a HD-decoder with DAC, EQ and volume control. Talk about basic!

Read a bunch of fascinating and very favorable reviews today on other similarly scaled-down back-to-basic processors (Outlaw Model 975 / Emotiva UMC-200 / Audiolab 8200AP) - all cost effective units that don't cram excessive tuff beneath their shell disrupting the signal path but concentrate fully on pure audio quality and this NuForce model one seems more and more promising for a test-run. Too bad it's not fully balanced with XLR outputs though.

I bet your Primare amp is an enthusiastic listen. Apart from the excellently powerful NuForce MCH amps I been looking at Primare A30.7 aswell, which is also a beautiful piece of kit.

Ah, you've reminded me of the other compact pre pro I was trying to think of, the emotiva, and mentioned a new one to me, the Outlaw. The Outlaw looks like it would match your oppo bdp really nicely. If you went for the most recent primare then it would be a shame not to make use of its balanced inputs, but looks like you can't have everything. The primare isn't forward at all but remains controlled and neutral at any reasonable volume levels. Would drive your MA nicely I imagine if size and price are not in issue.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I’ve actually heard the Primare A30.7 in a few demos and I’ve tested the integrated unit SPA22 at home and I was impressed by the UFDP amplification in both units (not sure if you model has that?). It seems to fit with MA speakers quite well, it drives them with punch and plenty of authority. Sadly I had issues with the processing for movies in the SPA22, otherwise I probably would have kept it because it was extremely musical (and minimalistic).

Agree about the incredible price of the Outlaw processor. One of the things I think makes these scaled-down units so affordable is the lack of expensive features and their licenses (eg: Audyssey, THX, Spotify, etc etc) which people often forget about. Remains to be seen if the NuForce AVP-18 room correction EQ will satisfy my lust over Audyssey (which I’m otherwise a fan of - you too I reckon, with your Onkyo?). I do think in combination with the incredible MCH-300C7 it could be a killer kombo.

2prxqoi.png

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Would just like to add that today I placed my order for this NuForce AVP-18 [/b]processor and the NuForce MCH-300SEC7[/b] high-end multichannel amplifier. I'm upgrading from a Denon receiver (2009 model) and returning to separates again for the first time in 12 years. This is bound to be a killer kombo, I'm hoping, taking my Apex speaker system to new heights. I'm expecting the amp in particular to delivery bomastic dynamics by the bucketfull, and the simplicity of the processor yet with it's advanced EQ will be interesting. The two demos I've had of this combo truly blew my socks off!

I'll make sure to post first impressions and then detailed findings within 2-3 weeks.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure the Outlaw isn't produced in 230V as well? I thought there were! :?

There seems to be four slightly similar A/V processors on the market right now with this type of simplicity, concentrating fully on sound quality over features; Outlaw Model 975, Emotiva UMC-200, Audiolab 8200AP and then this NuForce AVP-18.

Good luck on your hunt!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts