Nevermind, remastered, 96kHz/24bit

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

dannycanham

May 5, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
snivilisationism said:
As for the dubious legality...I don't care. It's HDTracks breaking their terms, not the buyer doing anything wrong.
That's not quite true. Exploiting a loophole to do something you really shouldn't do, and you know is wrong, doesn't make it right.

You very clearly can't (or at least, shouldn't) go onto e.g.: Adobe's US website and buy Photoshop CS5 for the sterling equivalent of its current 'special offer' US price of $490 (~£313). Its current UK price is more than double that: £663.08 if you download (bizarrely some £5.48 more than if you ask them to send you the software in a box, but that's a different story).

It's no different. I know it sounds like I'm pishing on your birthday cake but it's really not something which should be advertised and advocated. In fact, frankly I'm surprised WHF S&V allow people to so freely advocate the website's use on a UK-based forum.

You appear to have complete blindness to the difference between performing an act that is considered to be inside or outside of regulation, performing an act which is morally considered right or wrong, perfoming an act which is construcitve or destructive, performing an act which is considered inside or outside of the law. As well as a complete lack of perspective, perspective being the most important aspect of law as law is heavily limited by our use of language in which wording can only describe two sides for matters that aren’t back and white.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
6th.replicant said:
I download HDTracks FLACs; convert FLACs to AIFF, using SBooth's Max, on desktop; import AIFF version into iTunes; highlight a track in iTunes, right-click, scroll down to 'Get Info', click, open window, then select the 'Summary' tab...
Good Lord! No wonder I stick to buying a CD and sticking it in a player lol! How much time do you fellas spend actually listening to music as opposed to comparing bitrates and filetypes and ripping and converting ;)

Oh, and it's advisable to backup the download, either on an external HDD or burn to a CD. A CD??

And, invariably, there're no liner notes.

And it seems that rather too many of the so-called hi-res downloads are merely SACD rips or upscaled Red Book 16/44.1 files.

And the 'hi-res' downloads are pricey compared to CDs and, sometimes, SACD versions.

And there's the hours of 'fun' spent transfering your CD collection to a computer or NASdork thingy.

And you just know that one day, one day, your 'storage device' will crash and lose the lot because it's a computer, and that's what computers do. But hey, then you can look forward to restoring your system from your backup. Zzzzz.

Umm, anyone want to buy a DAC...? :mad:

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
6th.replicant said:
I download HDTracks FLACs; convert FLACs to AIFF, using SBooth's Max, on desktop; import AIFF version into iTunes; highlight a track in iTunes, right-click, scroll down to 'Get Info', click, open window, then select the 'Summary' tab...
Good Lord! No wonder I stick to buying a CD and sticking it in a player lol! How much time do you fellas spend actually listening to music as opposed to comparing bitrates and filetypes and ripping and converting ;)

Yup...thats too much work. I just download and stick the thumbdrive into the MF CliC...and listen.... thats it.

If you just want to check whether the files you donwloaded is actually what they claim to be, just run it in on foobar and it will show you the data.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Lee H said:
MajorFubar said:

None! Buy, rip, listen. This is why I don't like people asking for A/B/X tests, posting graphs and charts and so on.

Isn't it enough to look at a painting and like it without having to do a spectographic analysis of the paint?

No, not if there's a chance the painting is a fake. In which case, spectrographic analysis can be quite useful.

Similarly, it transpires that a tidy few so-called "audiophile 96kHz/24bit" downloads are actually upscaled 44.1kHz/16bit or compressed 'loudness war' abominations.

Here's to spectr[/b]ographics :cheers:

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
El Hefe said:
MajorFubar said:
6th.replicant said:

Yup...thats too much work. I just download and stick the thumbdrive into the MF CliC...and listen.... thats it.

If you just want to check whether the files you donwloaded is actually what they claim to be, just run it in on foobar and it will show you the data.

How convenient, it's all very well, if you choose to have an MF Clic.

Some of us, however, choose to struggle through life with an Apple MacBook Pro and iTunes :roll:

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
dannycanham said:
You appear to have complete blindness to the difference between performing an act that is considered to be inside or outside of regulation, performing an act which is morally considered right or wrong, perfoming an act which is construcitve or destructive, performing an act which is considered inside or outside of the law. As well as a complete lack of perspective, perspective being the most important aspect of law as law is heavily limited by our use of language in which wording can only describe two sides for matters that aren’t back and white.

You mostly lost me after the first dozen words, but my 'complete blindness' still knows that HDTracks have no distribution rights in the EU/UK, on top of which, and because of it, buying from them does not pay any VAT or other taxes which are payable for the sale of such goods to UK residents. There isn't even a 'maybe'. You're really NOT supposed to buy downloads from HDTracks if you live outside the US. End of. Its T&Cs even say as such. Do it if you choose to, but accept that you're exploiting a loophole. They've covered their vacarious liability by telling you not to, so they're in the clear.

Perspective? Sure it's not like murdering someone, but it's still, in the eyes of the law, very dodgy ground.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Sorry...my fault probably...I asked if anyone knew of somewhere Uk-legal from where I could download the hi-res remaster, and it kind of snowballed from there. As I never got a direct answer, I guess that's a no.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Sorry...my fault probably...I asked if anyone knew of somewhere Uk-legal from where I could download the hi-res remaster, and it kind of snowballed from there. As I never got a direct answer, I guess that's a no.

Indirectly, however...

6th.replicant said:
So, a UK-based purchaser, when downloading from HDTracks, is effectively bypassing UK taxes but the artists are still getting their cut?

I think I can live with that (while there's no UK outlet offering a 24/96 of Nevermind...) :shifty:

Indeed, and please correct me if I'm wrong, it would seem that there're no EU- or UK-based websites offering the hi-res downloads that HDtracks offers...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts