Never get your old speakers out of the loft

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have been listening to Acoustic energy Aelite 2s for about a year now and I was reasonably happy with them. The bass is quite full and the mid range is good but I thought they lacked a bit in the higher frequencies. So, I got my Wharfedale 9.1s out of the attic and they positively zip along. They give a much brighter sound although they can't match the bass of the larger cabinets of the 2s.

You know what's coming next? I now want a new pair of speakers with the decent bass and mid range of the Aelite 2s and a bit more top end excitement like the 9.1s. Can anyone recommend a pair for about £650 - £800 similar to, say, PMC DB1s that may fit the bill. (or, to put it another way, what are the best for my system in that price range)

System : Cyrus 8vs2 amp and CD8x. DNM reson speaker cable, Van den Hul The name interconnect

John Duncan

I went from Diamond 9.1s to DB1+ and on the face of it they did what you require when being driven by a Creek. Whether they'd fit with your Cyrus (which I understand can be bright) only you can decide. Certainly worth a listen - very nice things have been said here about the new i variant.......

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I'll second that John. Heard the i's at the Bristol show at the weekend, and they have actually made my shortlist - they were incredible for the size. It's either that or the ADAM HM2s which were also astounding.

A

Anonymous

Cheers Guys. Not heard of ADAM HM2s will give them a listen too if I can find them.

A

Anonymous

I heard the PMCs at Bristol and I was nothing but gobsmaked. Awsome speakers!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Hughes123"]Good suggestion if you don't mind the 80s styling.[/quote]

They look very nice and very expensive. No 80s about them at all.

A

Anonymous

Huh?
1175014822.jpg

586d_1.JPG

A

Anonymous

Oh come on! Very similar if you ask me just different drivers - do you really not think that the ProAc logo is really 80s looking? And the front covers and....oh....it just screams 80s!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JoelSim"]They look way way better in the flesh. Quite sexy actually![/quote]

I didn't say that the 80s wasn't sexy did I? I don't have a JVC for nothing! ; )

The one I really meant to put in the photo has the ProAc logo in the top corner...that one looks a bit old.

John Duncan

Yeah I get you - though the covers have to come off to show all that ebony, really
emotion-5.gif
But the thing that's a real giveaway is the size - apart from the original Wharfedale Diamond, there was *nothing* around like this little baby - my original AR18BXs were like ATCs in comparison
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts