Networked Alternative to Denon DM39?

Gasman2

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm considering buying a Denon DM39 as a kitchen machine, but it doesn't have any network / wifi capabilities to stream either internet radio, Spotify or from a NAS.

So, my alternatives seem to be either:

DM39 plus buy something like the DigiFunk Audio Receiever or the Neet version or similar.

OR

Buy something that comes with built in networking and/or streaming.

At the moment, I can get the DM39 for about £150, plus about £25 for the receiver = £175. I'd pay a bit more for something with streaming built in, but only if it was an overall better solution. The DM39 has obviously had great reviews. It also needs to pass the 'wife' text by being relatively small and neat!

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions greatfully received!

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Gasman2 said:
I'm considering buying a Denon DM39 as a kitchen machine, but it doesn't have any network / wifi capabilities to stream either internet radio, Spotify or from a NAS.

So, my alternatives seem to be either:

DM39 plus buy something like the DigiFunk Audio Receiever or the Neet version or similar.

OR

Buy something that comes with built in networking and/or streaming.

At the moment, I can get the DM39 for about £150, plus about £25 for the receiver = £175. I'd pay a bit more for something with streaming built in, but only if it was an overall better solution. The DM39 has obviously had great reviews. It also needs to pass the 'wife' text by being relatively small and neat!

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions greatfully received!

Well I'd go for one of these , I have the version without the CD :

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-10878-denon-ceol-rcdn8-cdfmusbairplaywifi-networked-mini-system-with-ipod-dock.aspx

Gasman2

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm. I had seen that, but not really looked closely.

I'm wondering why the DM39 gets so much praise, but this is barely mentioned anywhere, by anyone?

Is the sound quality similar?

Also, on the amp side, this is: 2 x 65 watts (4 Ohms, 1kHz) and the DM39 is: 2 x 30 watts (6 Ohms, 1 kHz)

Which of those is better? I'm looking at running either 2x CA Minx Min12 + a sub, or something like the QA 3020?

Thanks

razorjack

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
denon ceol piccolo

or if you need it for a kitchen (small not to powerful), maybe HiFiBerry Amp+ ? (RaspberryPi2+DAC+Amp 20Wx2) ?

https://www.hifiberry.com/ampplus/

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi ,

I didn't consider the DM 39 as I wanted the network option and the 30 pin input for iPod classic , CDP wasn't required I bought the picelo , as for power outputs I'd guess they translate to about 25 wpc for the DM 39 and 40 wpc for the picelo into 8 ohms , but that's a wild guess and it's not really a huge difference.

As for why they don't get press well I believe denon and merantz are the same company so if you sell the DM39 and the CR 610 where does this or the CR 510 come in your marketing strategy?

Best to try and hear them in a room a similar size to your kitchen

James

Gasman2

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
razorjack said:
or if you need it for a kitchen (small not to powerful), maybe HiFiBerry Amp+ ? (RaspberryPi2+DAC+Amp 20Wx2) ?

Interesting. My kids are into all sorts with Pis - but the kitchen is quite big and this wouldn't pass the wife's usability test either!!

Snooker

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I have the Denon Ceol N8, the one advertised earlier from a link in this thread for only £200, was £400 when new, it really is a very good to excellent unit and I use to have the Denon DM37 before, please give it a try and see what you think, at that price it is a very good buy, and with internet radio you do not need to have dab, it is an all in one also with streaming and spotify

razorjack

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
there is also Monitor Audio Airstream A100 http://www.whathifi.com/monitor-audio/airstream-a100/review

for 199£

looks nice, but i don't know if it's something you are looking for

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts