Network streamer vs iPhone and dock

Dinocampioni

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi

Currently I am using an iPhonesitting on a pure dock with inbuilt dac hooked up to a marantz pm 6004 amp and the sound from spotify premium is pretty good.

However would I gain any benefits from switching to a marantz network streamer for spotify rather than the iPhone and dock?

Thanks

jacobmorrison

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
For just over half the money of the Marantz you could upgrade the DAC, assuming you have a Pure I2O. There's plenty of opinion here about the merits of various DACS. Owning an I2O myself I can tell you that the Musical Fidelity VDAC II works great and will only set you back around £200 plus a decent quality coax cable. It's a massive improvement over the Pure's own DAC.

fatman

Nov 11, 2007
Visit site
I replaced the Pure i20 with a Squeezebox Touch & never looked back.

You can control the Squeezebox from your iPhone too.

My Squeezebox is mostly used for Spotify premium or Radio Paradise.

jacobmorrison said:
For just over half the money of the Marantz you could upgrade the DAC, assuming you have a Pure I2O. There's plenty of opinion here about the merits of various DACS. Owning an I2O myself I can tell you that the Musical Fidelity VDAC II works great and will only set you back around £200 plus a decent quality coax cable. It's a massive improvement over the Pure's own DAC.

Sorry to hijack this thread for a minute but I was looking for a way to do something similar with the same equipment, but I'm a tad confused.
Whilst I understand the VDAC may be better than the one in the Pure how would I link these together?
Surely the I20's DAC has already converted digital to analog. How do you link in the VDAC into the system?

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
From a convenience point of view you could look at replacing the PM6004 with Onkyo's TX-8050 streaming amp. That would give you a DAC (but no USB), Internet radio, DLNA streaming & Spotify all in one box. I wasn't impressed when I heard it but plenty of others are. I believe Matthew Piano had a PM6004 before owning the Onkyo & has no regrets.

Might be worth wading through The Record Spot's long thread on it & seeing if you can get a local demo.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/onkyo-tx-8050-alert-its-arrived-its-arrived

You can even control it from your iPod.

If you want an add-on box then the Squeezebox Touch is a good call for Spotify/Internet radio but it requires server software running on a PC/NAS to play your own libray.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts