MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm so wanting to love Netflix.

I like their business-model: film-streaming is their sole and primary purpose, not a bolted-on afterthough like Lovefilm, whose primary business-model in 2012 still revolves around posting physical media to my house (how quaint).

But I just can't love them. Browsing their selection is like browsing the 'Under £5' stall in HMV, whereas what I'm wanting from a streaming service is the equivalent of Blockbuster, with all the top recent releases.

Maybe one day. Just not yet.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I totally agree, I use the American Netflix to give a wider range but it's still like searching through bargain basement. 2discs at home through lovefilm as well is better but again limited streaming.

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I thinks this might be because sky have the rights to new release for the first 6 months or so i read on here in the article about hd streaming from lovefilm.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
That might be so, but most of the films on offer aren't even *that* recent. Some of them have even been done to death on mainstream terrestrial TV, which stereotypically gets them last. As I said earlier, what's on offer seems to be primarily bargain-basement titles you'd find on the cheap shelves in HMV or down the local market, whereas what I'm looking for is to be able to stream Blockbuster's shelves on demand for a fixed monthly price.

I fear it will take a change of mindset before it gets better. The distributors and film media companies seem reluctant to stream new releases for fear of it hurting sales of physical media, but sooner or later they will have to realise that as with music, the days of people buying physical media are numbered.

TRENDING THREADS