devo18uk1

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Couple of queries on Netflix:

1. Does it stream in HD?

2. Does it have all up to date programmes and films as I'm aware Lovefilm streaming doesn't have all the new releases.

Thanks in advance.

Paul.

The newest films I have seen on there are the expendables and blitz (great for the statham fans :p). Although not new, the selection is better and more high profile than love film streaming (the good stuff is only available by post). I bought lnetflix for the American TV, Breaking Bad, Dexter, 24 etc makes it worth the £6 alone.

If you sign up with a facebook login the there is a free trial offer.

Chisy1

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
Paul Hobbs said:
If you sign up with a facebook login the there is a free trial offer.

I'm not on facebook :dance: and I got the free trial when Netflix first launched...I clicked on the link that said "register with email" or something like that

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
Not a bad selection and some films are in Hd and 5.1 dolby digital plus.Its worth a try.Just use the free trial. :).The selection will get bigger as time moves on its only been out a week give it a chance.

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
Presumptious bit of Netflix defending from Mr. SonyCentre! Wonder what affect it will have on Sony's own Video Unlimited service...

http://www.whathifi.com/news/sony-adds-netflix-to-sony-bravia-tvs-blu-ray-players-ps3-and-more

johnnyblue

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
I took the free trial and can see why Netflix are so keen to avoid showing potential subscribers what's available until you actually agree to the free trial,which I'd guess they then rely on you forgetting to cancel.I thought it was like a bad neighbourhood video shop that hasn't bought any new stock for the last couple of years.I mean,jeez,When Harry Met Sally?Mannequin?Most of the films are shown endlessly on Freeview,so what's the point?

Someone further upstream suggests it's good for US TV - well, in my opinion, only if you haven't had Freeview for the last five years,because most of the TV shows are only series 1 or sometimes 2 at best.

I cancelled our free subscription after 2 weeks as they had absolutely nothing we wanted to (re)watch.I understand it's better in US,but judging by what's on offer here they either have to buy in a whole lot of newer stuff or they'll fold within a year.

Paul.

I was pretty glowing about Netflix at first, but I expected the content to change over time. I had it for two months and watched everything I wanted to (don't watch much tv so it took a while to work though breaking bad etc). But then I ran out of stuff to watch so I canceled it.

The thing that really pissed me off, I canceled it a week in to my billing period and they cut the service off instantly. They said If I wanted to keep the remaining 3 ish weeks I would have to cancel it in three weeks. I canceled there and then because I knew I would forget.

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
Joe Cox said:
Presumptious bit of Netflix defending from Mr. SonyCentre! Wonder what affect it will have on Sony's own Video Unlimited service...

http://www.whathifi.com/news/sony-adds-netflix-to-sony-bravia-tvs-blu-ray-players-ps3-and-more

I was talking about what i thought about the service myself,maybe you need to read my disclaimer Joe!!!!!. :wall:

johnnyblue

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
Paul Hobbs said:
I was pretty glowing about Netflix at first, but I expected the content to change over time. I had it for two months and watched everything I wanted to (don't watch much tv so it took a while to work though breaking bad etc). But then I ran out of stuff to watch so I canceled it.

The thing that really pissed me off, I canceled it a week in to my billing period and they cut the service off instantly. They said If I wanted to keep the remaining 3 ish weeks I would have to cancel it in three weeks. I canceled there and then because I knew I would forget.

Netflix claim they have thousands of films,which they have - just over two thousand as I recall.It might sound a lot,but it isn't.In fact,five thousand isn't that many when you spread it out over the twenty year period their stuff seemed to cover especially as it includes TV series and tries to cover everything from blockbuster to indie to world.I'm not saying we'd seen everything they have to offer, just that we'd already seen everything we wanted to see that they had to offer.Surely,this kind of online/on demand thing needs either a fair ammount of relatively new product or a massive back catalogue.Netflix doesn't seem to have either.I guess it's okay if you haven't got a pvr and can't skip through the ads but hanker to see all those films from the last twenty years that they show on commercial TV or for one reason or another you've missed an early series of a show,but I suspect most people will have watched everything they want to see within a couple of months.Isn't that why FilmFour became a free to air channel and TCM is always bundled in with other channels?It's a good idea,just a crap product.

On that thought I don't understand why online films from Lovefilm are more expensive than the dvd?No disc,no packaging,no postage,no warehouse and no despatch staff and yet depending on what package you have, they're two or three times the price.That's a lot to pay for convenience.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts