Need to chose from 2 sets of speakers (well poss 3)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm going to use my old NAD C320BEE amp to make a stero set-up for my office at home and I'm split between 2, well 3, sets of speakers

They're going to be placed on my desk (held in place with the good 'ole trusty blue tac) and will be fairly close field so I'd like them to be punchy with good bass but not overbearing and boomy

Speakers are: Dali Zensor 1's, Mission MX1's and the AE Compact 1's

Who on here has either demo'd these or has them now? What's their soundstage like and how are they for well timed but punchy bass?

Going to order tomorrow so quick replies would be much appreciated 8)

A

Anonymous

Can I aks why you favour those when the Dali Zensor 1's and Mission MX1's get better reviews?

All 3 of of interest to me but not being able to demo I want to make sure I get the right speakers 1st time round

Cheers

A

Anonymous

WHS describe the ae1's as having a '' mature sound'' . What ever that means? :)

A

Anonymous

FrankHarvey , Musicraft - Any further info/feedback re the above? :poke:

T

the record spot

Buy all three online. Keep the ones you like best, return the other two within seven days and as long as you take care of the goods, you only pay return postage. Not cheap, but the best of a bad lot.

Failing that, Google each one, get all the magazine and user reviews you can find, then decide.

A

Anonymous

the record spot said:
Buy all three online. Keep the ones you like best, return the other two within seven days and as long as you take care of the goods, you only pay return postage. Not cheap, but the best of a bad lot.

Failing that, Google each one, get all the magazine and user reviews you can find, then decide.
A cunning plan. Balldrick. :grin:

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Ah, the old 320BEE, that takes me back yo those far off days in Wang - sob!

Lovely, warm amp, up there with the best, but I don't think the speakers you mention are going to do it full justice. I had Spendors hanging off of mine - terrific sound. None of the speakers you list have terrific bass, as their size prohibits such. I've listened extensively to the Zensor for my own computer room - shimmering treble, not bright, decent midrange, bass won't knock you over but is tight. Still auditioning myself, but I'd think the Dalis would be a good choice.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
FATS 2828 said:
the record spot said:

Really? As someone who used to be in the retail business, I think it sucks. Sorry to be blunt and all that. :shame:

T

the record spot

Distance Selling Regulations allow, if you buy via mail order or online, to take the goods out their packaging and inspect them and this includes use. The buyer need only take reasonable care of those goods but can return within 7 days at their own cost for the the return of those goods.

Just evening the balance out for the consumer in the end.

T

the record spot

FATS 2828 said:
the record spot said:

Not a cunning plan at all; given that the thread's not generated many replies, the best of which would be "I think you should get this" and still not really answer the question, this is more likely to help the OP find the answer. More hassle / cost / faff, but it's the only way he'd find out.

A

Anonymous

I wont be buying all 3 and doing that sorry; just more hassle than it's worth and a little dishonest IMO

I'm hopefully going to demo the Zensor 1's, Mission MX1's and possibly the M/A BX1's on Friday. Just cant audition the AE Compact 1's as no-one has them

Be handy to know why FrankHarveyHifi and Musicraft recommend them though over the others

T

the record spot

Dishonest? Not at all - the legislation allows for someone to buy a product and try it out then return. Hi Fi is stuck in the middle ages when it comes to this; clothes shops allows for returns and refunds up to 28 days after purchase - instore. How dishonest is that? Answer: it isn't. This is no different.

A

Anonymous

altruistic.lemon said:
FATS 2828 said:
the record spot said:

Really? As someone who used to be in the retail business, I think it sucks. Sorry to be blunt and all that. :shame:
Like a lemon ,altru. It was vert much tongue in cheek, :)

A

Anonymous

proffski said:
AE for me, lovely fast dynamic sound suits all tastes. :cheer:

Have you demo'd / owned them? If so what electronics were you using? What was their bass response like?

A

Anonymous

Hmmm another set have come in to mind!

Monitor Audio BX1's - Anyone got these? How are they?

They seem to get a good review and as I already like the M/A speakers and sound they may just fit in nicely. I considered the BX2's but they're just too big

A

Anonymous

Had a quick demo of the Dali Zensor 1's, Misson MX1's, AE Compact 1's, Q Acoustic 2010's and the M/A BX1's this lunchtime

Dali's and Missions very good indeed; AE Compacts werent to my taste at all unfortunately and the Q Acoustics were mid-table

Ended up with the BX1's though; really good speakers and got them for £140 brand new in Walnut with 3m of QED XT speaker cable so cant compain.

Superb sound; superb size and look great sat here blu-tac'd onto my desk 8)

A

Anonymous

hifilover1979 said:
Had a quick demo of the Dali Zensor 1's, Misson MX1's, AE Compact 1's, Q Acoustic 2010's and the M/A BX1's this lunchtime

Dali's and Missions very good indeed; AE Compacts werent to my taste at all unfortunately and the Q Acoustics were mid-table

Ended up with the BX1's though; really good speakers and got them for £140 brand new in Walnut with 3m of QED XT speaker cable so cant compain.

Superb sound; superb size and look great sat here blu-tac'd onto my desk 8)
A result then 79/ how would YOU descrbe the speakers you demode ? :)

A

Anonymous

Dali's sounded great but I felt thair midrange was a little too open for my tastes

Mission's were also very good but a little boxy at times

AE Compact 1's were ok but too wooden and boxy for my tastes

Q Acoustics were good; on a par with the Missions IMO

The BX1's are a lot more open and rounded but with a nicely detailed midrange and good bass depth for their size

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts