need subwoofer to complement B&W 685

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi!

I think I need more bass to my setup (now I have a Pioneer sub but the bass is not as I would like it to be)

What subwoofer do you recommend?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Why do you feel you need a sub?

Please supply more info re:

- What music you listen to

- What shape your room is

- How youve got your system set-up (ie where are your speakers placed/Are they on stands or shelves/If on stands are they mass loaded etc...)

- What separates youve got matched with the speakers (amp(s)/CDP/speaker cable/equipment rack/interconnects)

IMO you need to spend time getting the system set up properly and getting the acoustics sorted before looking to add a sub. The sub can sometimes over power the speakers (whicch with B&W 685's, they already pack a fair punch).

Personally id be looking to upgrade to the B&W 684's for more power rather than adding a sub but at the end of the day the decision is yours.

A

Anonymous

Agree...!
685 will give enough bass if been driven by the suitable amp, good cable, good stand, and right positioning.

A

Anonymous

hmm

amp azur 540a v2

the room is medium or maybe small (5 m / 4 m )

the speakers are on top of furniture ;higher than my ear level (not very much space away from the wall > around 15-20cm)

interconnect : Profigold stereo cable 3,5mm Stereo male to 2RCA Male PGA3403 Length: 3,00m

http://www.bandridge.com/

cable :

LC1154; Description:BANDRIDGE Loudspeaker Cable. Description 2:2 X 1.5mm2. 100m Transparent

 6.0 mm

2 conductors

Strands: 2 x 30 x 0.25

2 x 1.5mm 2 OFC Conductor

I listen to all kind of music (from PC,audigy XFI)

maybe you're right ; don't know what to do now ; it's getting complicated to set properly in this room

A

Anonymous

mihaipopm8:
hmm

amp azur 540a v2

the room is medium or maybe small (5 m / 4 m )

the speakers are on top of furniture ;higher than my ear level (not very much space away from the wall > around 15-20cm)

interconnect : Profigold stereo cable 3,5mm Stereo male to 2RCA Male PGA3403 Length: 3,00m

http://www.bandridge.com/

cable :

LC1154; Description:BANDRIDGE Loudspeaker Cable. Description 2:2 X 1.5mm2. 100m Transparent

 6.0 mm

2 conductors

Strands: 2 x 30 x 0.25

2 x 1.5mm 2 OFC Conductor

I listen to all kind of music (from PC,audigy XFI)

maybe you're right ; don't know what to do now ; it's getting complicated to set properly in this room

A sub would work very well in your system. Even with the best positioning in the world those B&Ws are simply not capable of reproducing the deepest bass present on some albums. Ignore the naysayers.

I have a BK XLS200 which sounds superb and is fantastic value for money at less than £300.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
^^^

It's not about 'ignoring the naysayers'... He/She has asked for 'our' advice so we're giving them what has been asked for and in 'our opinions'!

Please provide helpful advice, not just do this and dont do that and ignore everyone else...

Anyways. Having looked at your system to me, straight away, the main issue is the C/A amp.

C/A are renowned for sounding clinical and again, IN MY OPINION and owning many sets of B&W speakers, their matching isnt the best.

If you were to audtion a decent Arcam, NAD, Musical Fidelity or Roksan amp you'd find that the B&W speakers will come alive much better and have deeper and more controlled bass.

I agree with the fact that speakers will never offer the bass weight that subs can do but thats like saying that a Robin Reliant cant offer you the handling of an F1 car!!!

IMO i think it would be worth you taking a look at some different amps before you go down the sub route.

The Arcam A85 & FMJ A32 amps would be good to demo as would the NAD C352 and C355BEE amps.

A

Anonymous

NAYSAYERS???... emmm..
i've been using a few amp.. marantz pm4001, CA640A, Audiolab 8000A, Exposure 2010s and now Copland CSA28, none of them got subwoofer output.
For me, subwooofer is used for home cinema only for LFE(low freq. effect) sound. Thats why i never use my Wharfadale WH-210 for hifi.
Adding the sub may cause the unnatural bass.

A

Anonymous

A sub is a very good addition to many systems provided the room allows for good placement and that the sub is good quality. Not many speakers will audibly dig to the low 20-30Hz that a sub can add and it can provide worthwhile extension even with large floor-standers. An amp upgrade is a good option to get better bass control, and extension can seem greater too. A sub is another option and is likely to provide greater extension than an amp upgrade. This is speaking from my experience of both.

Based on all recommendations on this thread, it looks like you need to see about demoing some amps and subs at home. Enjoy...

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979:

I agree with the fact that speakers will never offer the bass weight that subs can do but thats like saying that a Robin Reliant cant offer you the handling of an F1 car!!!

IMO i think it would be worth you taking a look at some different amps before you go down the sub route.

The Arcam A85 & FMJ A32 amps would be good to demo as would the NAD C352 and C355BEE amps.

Adding a sub was the best thing I ever did, it made a huge difference, whereas changing the amplifier will do little or nothing to correct the bass deficiency in the speakers. I think it's a case of what you haven't tried you don't miss.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I agree with Iggle and Jim,
get a decent sub and it transforms the sound, and remains hifi.

We are not talking about booming explosions and unnatural rumbling bass lines, but a natural extension of the range your existing speakers can reach.

And you dont need a sub out to run a sub, they can be attached to the normal speaker terminals on most amplifiers.
My sub is attached to the stereo pre-outs.

Saying a sub is only for Home Cinema is like saying a radio is only for the kitchen...

...and I would recommend looking at the MJ Acoustics range.

...oh and if you look at amps, I wouldn't mix the Arcam and B&W 685. I used to run an A80 and the B&W was not a good match at all. It may be better further up the scale, but I have my doubts.

A

Anonymous

I use the sub and it works (amp preout); all that I want to say is that my bass is like a little punch (I'm exaggerating a bit) and I would like to know if other subwoofers sound more natural

(for ex Velodyne or B&W subs ; is it important to be same manufacturer as the speakers are? )

thank you.

A

Anonymous

mihaipopm8:
I use the sub and it works (amp preout); all that I want to say is that my bass is like a little punch (I'm exaggerating a bit) and I would like to know if other subwoofers sound more natural

(for ex Velodyne or B&W subs ; is it important to be same manufacturer as the speakers are? )

thank you.

What model Pioneer do you have?

No it isn't important to use the same make.

As a footnote to Fr0g's post BK Electronics manufacture the MJ Acoustics subs and they still sell what was the MJ Pro 50 Mk1 as a Minotaur. They can sell them cheaper because they're mail order.

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers.htm

A

Anonymous

Using a sub IMO is fine. However, if you add a sub, don't go cheap. You'll get what you pay for. I have the Snell Basis 300 and absolutely love it for music - really tight clean bass. I also like the Martin Logan (smaller cube).

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Jim Highfield:mihaipopm8:

thank you.

What model Pioneer do you have?

No it isn't important to use the same make.

As a footnote to Fr0g's post BK Electronics manufacture the MJ Acoustics subs and they still sell what was the MJ Pro 50 Mk1 as a Minotaur. They can sell them cheaper because they're mail order.

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers.htm

Is that right? Looks similar. If thats true, then its a bargain. Its not a bass monster, just adds a nice extra depth of feeling to music. I'm tempted to order a 2nd one at that price.

A

Anonymous

the sub (it's an older model ):

http://www.pioneer.pt/pt/products/archive/S-W150S-K/index.html

A

Anonymous

A sub may solve the problem with sub par sound from your system but so would some decent stands and a decent source.

Putting a my 601's on a set of sturdy Atacama se24's really helped make the bass tight and more pronounced, totaly changed the sound for the better. Then again i do have a pretty perfect lounge to set up my system with a huge open wall opposite my sofa.

A

Anonymous

Yup, first things first. Get those speakers on some decent stands before you do anything else.

TRENDING THREADS