Need speakers

malg

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
I have the Musical Fidelity XT100 amp and XRay V8 CD player, with a PS Audio Digital Link DAC. I am using Chord Company cables. I also have an old Kenwood KD8030 turntable, which I love dearly and would never change (strange how you get attached to some kit). My speakers are a pair of B&W 801s, which are now approx 4 years old. I used to have an old pair of Kenwood floorstanders, but as they were bought in 1989 I upgraded to the B&Ws. I am now considering upgrading the speakers, and would like some advice. My budget is approx £500-1000, and although I would prefer floorstanders, I am not discounting standmounts. I have the hi-fi in my kitchen/dining room as it opens out onto my back garden, and this is the room we spend most time in. The room is approx 18' x 25'. My musical tastes are New Order, Joy Division, Kraftwerk (lots of), Leftfield (again, lots of), Chemical Brothers, 1980s stuff, and a lot of Lou Reed. Apart from slating my musical taste and choice of amp/cd player, can anyone please offer some advice with regards to new speakers? Thanks for any advice you can give.

A

Anonymous

Demo as many as you can as the choice and quality is bewildering. I'm in the same boat at the moment and have been shocked at the sheer range available - I think it's going to take me a while to decide ! I have however been very impressed with the Epos M16i floorstanders, great sound and quite small for a floorstander, selling for around £800 but probably find a deal on them for less.

malg

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
Spacehopper - thanks. I am going to see Practical Hi-Fi tomorrow (Manchester branch). I have had good advice from them previously, and they are happy to demo the kit. I would like to go pre-armed with some choices and see what happens. Hopefully they will have a pair of the Epos I can look at. Actually, size does matter here as I don't want anything that will take over the room (I guess my budget won't stretch to some of the bigger models anyway)

idc

Malg, will you be able to take your own kit or at least get very similar at the shop to audition with? Otherwise it will be just luck if you end up with the right match. You say you want to be prearmed with some choices but I agree with Spacehopper, the choice is bewildering and you want your ear to do the deciding.

malg

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
idc - thanks for the reply. Last time I was in the shop they had the MF amp, so I'll give them a phone in the morning to check - they did allow me to home audition the PS Audio DAC. I also home auditioned a Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear headphone amp, to go with my Sennheissier HD650s. Got to say this was a brilliant buy, especially for my vinyl.....

idc

Home audition is the way to go, especially if you know at the end you will buy, or else I could imagine it would be a bit embarrassing! But if it the same kit and the audition room is half decent it is the only shopping I enjoy; a friendly dealer with a few hours set aside.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Some good gear there and you've a similar tatse in music to me as well (apart from the Lou Reed stuff...)

IMO the B&W 684's or the B&W 683's would be well worthy of an audition as would the M/A RS6's and the M/A RS8's (although having demo'd both i'd always go for the RS6's).

The B&W 683's are stunning speakers and can be driven hard and loud if wanted but can also be played at normal level and they still sound superb. Solid bass weight; smooth midrange and the treble would be spot on for your music.

The 684's are very good as well but their bass weight is slighly off a little with some music when compared to the 683's.

Is there something in particular that youre after in some new speakers that your B&W's arent giving you now?

malg

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
Dan, thanks for the reply. To be perfectly honest I did fancy the 683s or 684s. The speakers I have at present are good, and I enjoy the sound, but I think I could get more. I was always a fan of floorstanders, but due to space I had to get standmounts last time round. I am planning on using the 801s for my tv set up so they won't be going to waste. Mind you, if after a home trial I don't hear a difference then they will go back. I had the same issue with the PS Audio DAC. After listening to it at home for 2 days, I unplugged it and went back to normal CD playback. The difference was dramatic, and I can honestly say it was worth the money (although I'm sure someone will tell me I could get the same result for less....but isn't that always the case with hi-fi). I'm off to Practical Hi-Fi today to sort out a home trial, will let you know how I get on.

By the way, I couldn't agree more about the Nautilus. However, no matter how cheap I could get some second hand, I don't believe it is worthwhile unless I could afford an infinitely more expensive amp and cd?

A

Anonymous

I listen to a lot of similar music - Chemical Brothers, Kraftwerk, etc - and I demo'd MA RS6s this weekend with range of electronic music and they sound absolutely fantastic.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
That's my problem as well Malg; plus the fact that the other half would string me up as well!!!

Anyways; deffo agree with trying to get a home demo from Practical Hifi. Not sure where youre from but the lads at the Preston shop let me take a set of B&W 685's back with me for a weekend which was of great help :)

IMO the 683's are well worth their pricetaf (and im sure you could always barter for some more £££ off as theyre gagging for sales currently).

In hindsight; i should have gone to them for my B&W XT surround sound system and PV1 sub as well; much more helpful/friendly than what was Sevenoaks!

malg

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
chainrock, I've had a look at the RS6s and they are a beautifil looking bit of kit. I'll have a chat with the guys in the shop and listen to a few different models, then see if I can home demo the best. It's also good to hear from people who listen to the same kind of stuff as me, as I would hope that we all have the same preferences for sound as well.

malg

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
Dan, I go to the manchester shop and have had nothing but good advice from them. They've allowed me to home demo a few bits of kit previously, and nothing seems to be too much trouble....exactly what you need from a hi-fi shop. I know where you're coming from with the wife, as I need to consult mine at all times, but she is quite understanding. However, and I don't know if you're in the same boat, as well as the sound of the kit i also have to pay attention to the look of the stuff as well. That's why I like B&W speakers as they look the part, however the MA RS6s, as recommended on this thread, are another stunning looking set of speakers. I'll just have to get a good demo at the shop and then ask to home trial the best pair.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The RS6's are stonking

I went for them over the B&W 684's as their soundstage, IMO, was just that bit better and TBH, i think the RS6's bass is depper and more controlled ove the 684's as well.

It's not very often you'll hear me saying that the B&W's bass wasnt deep enough!

If it were me, id be demoing all 3 lots of speakers and go from there. Make sure you use the same CD's everytime as it really helps to even out the testing then but also easir to compare the bass, midrange, treble and the overall soundstage :)

malg

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
Dan - cheers, and I will be having a good listen to a few pairs. By the way, just go onto ebay and check out the Nautilus they have for sale....£33,000! I've not seen these ones before, and they are as ugly a pair of speakers as I have ever seen, looks like they were watching Alien when they designed them. But £33,000!! I'm guessing there's no free cable offer with them.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Yeah; seen those. They have been on for a while.

I think they are true audiophile speakers and TBH; i love them :)

I think i'd rather have the 'washing machine' sized 800 speakers though :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts