Need some help with receive/ speakers set-up

Nyorker

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

I recently got a Pioneer VSX-521 to hook up with my Panasonic plasma, PS3 and 5.1 speaker + sub system.

For some reason, I can only get sound from the right and left front speakers, and that, too, is barely audible. I tried to fiddle with the wiring (hoping I didn't get zapped), but nothing doing. Is it possible the speakers have gone bad?

(it's a no-name brand - Dome - I got several years ago).

Thanks for the help!

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure you have wired up the speakers correctly and to the correct inputs on the back of the AV? Silly question, but im just covering the basics as I cant see it in front of me.

If it is wired correctly then it could be that you are missing something in the settings or have it set to a non 5.1 setting, similar thing happened with my AV when i first got it.

If you are sure everything is correct then give the manufacturer a call and they can talk to you about AV settings and how to configure the VSX-521.

I doubt you have blown the speakers by fiddling with the wires, that would be the worst case scenario so try the above first.

Let us know how you get on.

Nyorker

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

I'm almost certain I wired it correctly on the receiver side ( I double-checked), and switched the wiring on the speakers a few times but nothing happened. I'll check again, though. I also barely hear the sub, so maybe that points to something amiss in the settings?

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I believe it must be the settings. I know that MusicCraft is a massive Yahmaha fan, so hopefully he or Dave at Hifix will bump into this who can answer the settings question.

Otherwise you can call the yahmaha directly :)

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Whoops apologies i misread! Make sure in speaker settings you have not chosen the wrong speaker configuration which could be causing the issue. Also make sure you are not operating in 2 channel mode.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes, that will send the sound over to the AV which will then decode it. If you have the Fat PS3 it will say PCM, even on Movies. The slimmer one will allow the AV to show True HD etc.

Nyorker

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Well, I tried switching the wires (for the speakers that don't work) - nothing. For some reason, the system seems to recognize only two speakers! I tried getting intot the settings, but it didn't help much. Don't know what to do...

Nyorker

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Thanks!

Wel...the good news is, after speaking with a rep, I managed to set it properly and now get sound from all speakers. Pretty good sound, too! BUT...now the sub is acting up - it sounds like an AM radio station! * sigh *

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
What is your crossover point? You may need to now call the speaker manufacturer :) So they can give you the settings you need. Usually about 80hz is a good point and also check to see if the Sub has any settings you have not adjusted correctly

Getting there!

Nyorker

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Thanks - I probably don't speak the language of the manufacturer... :)

Anyway, I've no exprience with crossover points - I had no problems with my last receiver - so I guess I need to do some more tweaking with the receiver, since I hadn't touched anything on the sub.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Im pretty sure its a setting somewhere thats causing this, just check the manual for the AV and Sub configuration, it tells you what is best.

Nyorker

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

Well, it looks like a faulty cable is responsible, since the settings seem ok. The cable connecting the sub to the receiver is loose at one end, so perhaps that's the reason. Maybe age as well? it's 6 years old, and it wasn't exactly treated like the magna carta....anyway, I'll get a replacement cable - then hopefully I'll get an answer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts