need some advice regarding arcam setup...

bobchiba

Mar 16, 2008
Visit site
Hi guys, a few questions.....

I curently play vinyl on my system and for amplification im using an Arcam alpha 8R as a pre-amp going into an earlier Arcam Delta 290P (power). My first question is will will the Alpha 8R be a more efficient pre-amp when there is no amplifiction going on inside, ie, as opposed to bi-amping, and secondly, I leave the two units on all the time as the 290P sounds suprisingly unwilling when its cold, and was just wondering what kind of power consumption this will have from a financial point of view and also if I unclick both the SP1 and SP2 switches on the 290P will this still keep the circuitry warmed up, as otherwise theres always a very slightly audible humm.

A

Anonymous

JoelSim will put you on the right track when it comes to Arcam.

EvilWolf:

JoelSim will put you on the right track when it comes to Arcam.

May I add my tuppence worth. . . .for what it's worth
emotion-2.gif
but I've had Arcam Amps for about 11 or 12 years. I'll say that the Alpha 8r will sound more efficient partnered with the relevant power amp [7/8/9] although I'm not sure how good your current 290 is. . .even so, it still should give you a slight boost, not dramatically.

If JoelSim isn't around then d_a_n1979 is your boy. He has the Alpha 9 bi-amped into the 9P.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I would be tempted to go for matching equipment to get the best, and to biamp as it really adds to clarity. If it was a pre/power combo rather than an integrated/power it may be different but I am a big biamping fan.

What's the source?

I switch mine off and they take a few minutes to get into the swing but given I'm usually doing things for the first few minutes anyway I don't notice, I certainly don't get any hum at any time whether cold or hot but I don't know enough about the 290p to know whether that it normal.

A

Anonymous

Such items don't consume that much energy in comparison to CRT TVs, heating systems and the like but they can be a fire hazard if you have a power surge or your home happens to be hit by lightning. If you havn't done so already, I would advise on you buying a good quality surge protector for the components. If you turn the switches off (SP1, SP2) then the amplification circuitry for most of the important part of the stage is not on...so I would leave on the terminal(s) that you use.

(My Arcam A32 uses ALOT of power for a class-AB 100watt integrated amplifier though, so I don't know whether it is the same for the Delta range.)

Have fun! [:)/]

-And p.s....it's nice to be back people!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts