Need some advice on buying first turntable

eddygrinder

May 3, 2020
Visit site
Hello,
I'm looking to buy my first turntable to fit on my existent hi-fi hardware, which is:
An old stereo - Sony MHC-2700 with phono amp;
Speakers - SS-H 2700, 70W - 6 Ohm
Speakers - Pioneer S-Z71, 100W - 8 Ohm

A most recent receiver Onkyo TX-SR607 without phono amp paired with a Wharfedale Diamond 9, 120W - 6 Ohm

I've read some reviews of the these models:
Rega Planar 1 - no preamp
Rega Planar 2 - no preamp and dangerously approaches the budget threshold limit [by the reviews - my favourite]
Audio Technica AT-LP5x - with preamp
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon - no preamp

I don't want something fancy or High-End, only the necessary to enjoy some good music and later, yes, I could start to think on something better.
If I could spare some money on the speakers and amp, I could use that money to apply on the turntable.

Thank you for your help,
Eddy

PS - I do have a turntable, and old Yamaha MC-40, with a broken headshell and the need for a belt - which I can't find both

Sorry, you mention two systems by the sound of it. Which are you going to.
You have an AV receiver driving Wharfdale speakers...why?
Are these two separate set-ups or are you aiming to get a good one out of what you have?

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Only on the TT side I installed a rega planar 2 with a mf v90 phono preamp
This on a Vincent amp don’t recal the model cost was 750 8y ago an b&w 682 speakers
He is overly happy an I was thinking this sound dam good

eddygrinder

May 3, 2020
Visit site
Yes, I have two systems: the av receiver with the wharfdale is my humble home cinema set up but the onkyo don't have preamp.

The Sony is my old stereo system, with preamp, where I listen some CDs.

My intention, if possible, is to use one of these set up's to connect the turntable, with our without phono. This is not ideal, I know, but just trying to start slowly...

In between I found out Rega Planar Plus, with a built-in phono stage.
My doubt is, for example, is it worth to buy the Planar 1 Plus (more expensive) with phono stage or the Planar 1 and connect it to the phono input of the old Sony MHC-2700? Or the hardware that I have is garbage concerning turntable? 😁

You can see, too manu doubts around here 😁

myrrhman

Apr 24, 2020
Visit site
Don't be swayed too much by magazine reviews which would lead you inevitably towards a Rega. Pro-ject make some excellent turntables too - my Debut III is great, but the current incarnation is likely to be better as it comes with an Ortofon 2M red cartridge, giving you easy upgrade path to 2M blue.
Lack of a phono stage on your amp is not a significant issue - an external phono stage will give you a step up in quality on most budget amps and you don't need to spend a fortune either, just get a simple MM phono stage if you're unlikely to get a MC cartridge.

Reactions: eddygrinder

rainsoothe

I'd take the Audio Technica over the others in a heartbeat. The integrated phono pre is really decent, so is the starter cart, and the tt is stable, simple to use and lets cartridge upgrades shine through. Whatever you end up getting, though, factor in the price of a stylus pressure gauge, because the markings on the TT weights are almost always off.

daytona600

Project or Rega Simples £150 for a complete new TT

Yamaha MC-40 new headshell and a belt , new stylus & beating oil will cost almost £100

£500 will get you a complete new Project system with all the mod cons like streaming & wireless blutooth

.9586072.jpg

Last edited:

eddygrinder

May 3, 2020
Visit site
Only on the TT side I installed a rega planar 2 with a mf v90 phono preamp
This on a Vincent amp don’t recal the model cost was 750 8y ago an b&w 682 speakers
He is overly happy an I was thinking this sound dam good

The Rega Planar 2 is a little bit over my budget - Rega Planar 2 - Head Rega Carbon - is 489€. With no pre amp I need to connect it to my old Sony...

The planar1 is really good to personally I’m not convinced by the build in phonostage but that’s me

Yes, indeed... The price withou the build pre amp allows me to buy, for example, Edwards Audio Apprentice MM or Rega Fono Mini A2D

Don't be swayed too much by magazine reviews which would lead you inevitably towards a Rega. Pro-ject make some excellent turntables too - my Debut III is great, but the current incarnation is likely to be better as it comes with an Ortofon 2M red cartridge, giving you easy upgrade path to 2M blue.
Lack of a phono stage on your amp is not a significant issue - an external phono stage will give you a step up in quality on most budget amps and you don't need to spend a fortune either, just get a simple MM phono stage if you're unlikely to get a MC cartridge.

Yeah, I know. I've read some reviews through What Hi Fi and others. But Pro-Ject with Ortofon 2M red is too expensive, over 600€ - This is just my first TT :)

I'd take the Audio Technica over the others in a heartbeat. The integrated phono pre is really decent, so is the starter cart, and the tt is stable, simple to use and lets cartridge upgrades shine through. Whatever you end up getting, though, factor in the price of a stylus pressure gauge, because the markings on the TT weights are almost always off.

AT starts to grow on me, I just need to read a little bit more about it and compare it with AT 120. With pre amp I could connect it for now to the AV Onkyo

Project or Rega Simples £150 for a complete new TT

Yamaha MC-40 new headshell and a belt , new stylus & beating oil will cost almost £100

£500 will get you a complete new Project system with all the mod cons like streaming & wireless blutooth

.View attachment 1202
I really wanted to restore the Yamaha but I can't find where to buy a new headshell. I have already thought on buy a used one from ebay and kept one for spare. With 100€ I could have one... But... I don't know how it sounds.
I'm not interested on wireless stuff nor streaming... just a simple TT to listen some good old fashioned music lol
... and £500 is more than 600€, too much for me at this point.

So, for now, Pro-Ject Carbon without Ortofon 2M, Rega Planar 1 and Audio Technica LP-5X are within my budget and if needed allows me to buy a humble phono pre amp

Cheers,
Eduardo

Reactions: rainsoothe

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Actually when I made the set of my friend I proposed a few options like the forum members here.

I just want to add that when figuring out the options for my friend with my dealer That buying the planar 1 with build in phonostage is in-fact the (wel actually the previous version of it. Buying it seperatly cost you like a +-70€ more but it give you more flexibility that would be my chose cause the Planar 1 is one of the best in his price range phono stage you have many options in that price range I tested a few I always loved the V 90 in that price range ( 160€ ) but I was comming from a NAD ... maybe the Fono Mini A2D is better never heard it?​
But Im I wrong? Didn't you say the Sony had a build in phono preamp?​
Because than I would buy a TT test that first en if you don't like the sound bay the pre amp you like​

eddygrinder

May 3, 2020
Visit site
Actually when I made the set of my friend I proposed a few options like the forum members here.

I just want to add that when figuring out the options for my friend with my dealer That buying the planar 1 with build in phonostage is in-fact the (wel actually the previous version of it. Buying it seperatly cost you like a +-70€ more but it give you more flexibility that would be my chose cause the Planar 1 is one of the best in his price range phono stage you have many options in that price range I tested a few I always loved the V 90 in that price range ( 160€ ) but I was comming from a NAD ... maybe the Fono Mini A2D is better never heard it?​
But Im I wrong? Didn't you say the Sony had a build in phono preamp?​
Because than I would buy a TT test that first en if you don't like the sound bay the pre amp you like​

Yes, here is the Sony that I have... I bought it in 1994/5 . But realistically speaking I'm trying not to buy a test turntable and then buy the pre amp, preferably I want to buy all at once... in a few months I may not have the money any more lol

The V90 looks pretty good and I need to read a little more about it. But 160€ leaves me with (give or take) 250€ for the turntable

I gave a quick read about the Rega Fono Mini A2D and Edwards Audio Apprentice MM here on What Hi Fi - just two examples

Attachments

• external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
    external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 6
  • wieza-sony-mhc2700-duzy-zestaw-wysylka-jaslo-418064257.jpg
    wieza-sony-mhc2700-duzy-zestaw-wysylka-jaslo-418064257.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 7

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
haha no I didn't mean buy a test TT (My personal preference go to the RP1 because I heard it in a test aganst a Pt
project debuut but your other choices are pretty decent to)

I ment wait to Buy the phono stage as you heve one in the Sony see how that sound

eddygrinder

May 3, 2020
Visit site
haha no I didn't mean buy a test TT (My personal preference go to the RP1 because I heard it in a test aganst a Pt
project debuut but your other choices are pretty decent to)

I ment wait to Buy the phono stage as you heve one in the Sony see how that sound
😁 So I understand it incorrectely, Sorry.

Let me see, my preference goes to buy all at once but this is an idea...

eddygrinder

May 3, 2020
Visit site
You could have a look at the Sony PS-HX500. It's available at Richer Sounds for £269. It does have a built-in phono stage so you can plug it straight into any amp.

Oh no! Sony! Everything that I had by Sony was broken down, except the amp on MHC - tape deck... broken, CD... broken, my walkman... broken... A DVD reader... broken, only the speakers survived! lol

gasolin

(Denmark) Buy one with a 2m-red it's better than a Ortofon OM10

eddygrinder

May 3, 2020
Visit site
(Denmark) Buy one with a 2m-red it's better than a Ortofon OM10

What are the diferences between the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon and Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Espirit SB - besides the awful colors - with the ortofon 2M RED ?

Edit: The Debut Carbon Esprit SB (DC) brings all the benefits of the Debut Carbon (DC) but adds an electronic speed change and an acrylic platter.

gasolin

Speed Box it changes the speed on the motor, the regular version (non sb) you change the gear ratio (i thing it will last longer)

eddygrinder

May 3, 2020
Visit site
Ok, with this price is quite good and with shipping I will get the one with Ortofon 2M RED for 418€ - on amazon is more than 600€. But for this one I will have to buy a Pre-Amp later or connect it to old Sony

Now, I have to research the price and stores for Planar 1 and Audio-Technica AT-LP5X [ Amazon don't ship this one to Portugal ]

gasolin

when i had a rega intro (p1) it was sensitive to vibrations i don't have with my pro-ject turntable, the PRO-JECT DEBUT CARBON ESPRIT DC 2m Red has for the same price as a rega planar 1 a much better cartridge.

I have only seen such low prices atm in the danish store i link to

rbraithwaite

May 7, 2020
Visit site
I‘d go for the Rega Planar 1 + their MM Mk3 phono stage, circa £450 all in + decent interconnect. The MM Mk3 is way better than the phono stage you’ll get in most <£1k amplifiers. I initially used my Planar 1 with my Yamaha RX-A870 (a new-ish and generally very decent £1000 AV amp) and the difference was massive! The Planar 1 really does sound fantastic for the money and can be upgraded with various things (drive belt, turntable mat, cartridge) before you need to spend more.

My system is a (2018) Naim Nait 5 Si with (old!) B&W CMD1-NT’s. The Rega combo sounds very musical, not quite as precise as playing HD audio into the Naim via a Chord Mojo but it has a lovely warmth than that the Chord input doesn’t (probably a mis-match between my Naim and the B&W‘s to be frank). The Chord sounds wonderful through decent headphones.

Having said that, this is my personal journey, I’ve not auditioned anything else.

eddygrinder

May 3, 2020
Visit site
Ok, it seems to me that I will be better served with TT + PA. So I put away the AT-LP5x
However, £450 is over 500€, out of my budget.

Now, a friend give me the idea to try and see used TT and PA, so I can buy a used Harman/Kardon HK6550 in very good condition for about 150€ or Rega Fono MM MK3 for €169.00. this allowed me to buy a Rega Planar 2 used.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts