Need Recommendations For New Pocket DAB Radio Please

Dec 23, 2020
Visit site
Hello

I used to have a Pure Move R3 and it was perfect for my requirements - however the build quality is terrible and has broken after just a year of using - the volume just constantly goes down to zero. Alas I cannot find where I bought it so cannot attempt a return.

So I need a new pocket-sized DAB radio. Money is not an issue - I'd rather pay more for something that will last years, as I thought I was doing for my Pure Move R3. I tried a Petersfield (I think?) DAB radio for £25 and hated it.

I need:

DAB radio.
A backlight that doesn't stay on permanently - I'm using it when going to bed.
Decent sound quality.
Decent build quality.
Ability to store radio stations, so one-click will change to saved stations.
No batteries - looking to recharge via USB.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
James

Reactions: Whobiggs

Gray

I hope someone can help you James.
But I don't know of any DAB fans here (or anywhere else).

Bit ironic really, it was originally promoted as the future of radio, not least on grounds of quality*. But most hi-fi enthusiasts have never been interested / wouldn't miss it if went away.

Some well-intentioned work colleagues bought me a DAB portable as a leaving present.....fortunately they gave me the receipt with it, so I cashed it in ;).

*Not sure if it's still the case, but at one time a National music station was transmitting at 64 kbps mono, showing utter contempt for those that bought on the promise of quality :(.

Sorry about the rant.
But I don't like to see questions going answered and think the above might possibly explain the lack of response.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whobiggs
Dec 23, 2020
Visit site
Why the lack of DAB fans? Is it something similar to me preferring vinyl over digital music?

I only use it to listen to TalkSport when I go to bed, and the sound quality is miles better than what I could pick up on MW.

Thanks for the article - will have a read. I stood on my DAB radio yesterday (on purpose) and it is working now. But I assume this is temporary!

Why the lack of DAB fans? Is it something similar to me preferring vinyl over digital music?

I only use it to listen to TalkSport when I go to bed, and the sound quality is miles better than what I could pick up on MW.

Thanks for the article - will have a read. I stood on my DAB radio yesterday (on purpose) and it is working now. But I assume this is temporary!
Is it because many folks have a mobile phone and for not much data use can listen to BBC Sounds or Tune In, thereby needing no additional expenditure?
And DAB reception in some rural locations is a bit iffy, just like mobile phone services!

Dec 23, 2020
Visit site
Is it because many folks have a mobile phone and for not much data use can listen to BBC Sounds or Tune In, thereby needing no additional expenditure?
And DAB reception in some rural locations is a bit iffy, just like mobile phone services!

I think the main reason I wanted a portable player was so I could flick over from TalkSport to 5Live when the adverts came on, at the press of a button - without having to have a bright shiny phone screen in my face!

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts